Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #21  
Old 11-14-2011
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,875
Default

I have the SMI inertia type system. It is not proportional, it steadily applies the brakes harder and harder until you cycle the brake lights off. My problem was when using the retarder downhill it would engage and I would need to cycle the retarder to cycle the brake lights to reset it. I would like the M&G but the Road master is also a good alternative for true proportional braking.

I am looking for a newer toad, so vehicle compatibility is one of the decision issues with the M&G.

I did find the Roadmaster with the breakaway system for AIR or Air over Hydraulic (motor home brakes) was around $800+-,

The one for hydraulic MH brakes was a bit over $1000 (needs compressor and air tank)
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 11-14-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-14-2011
drilldoc drilldoc is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Conway
Posts: 62
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
There is now a Brake-Away option offered for the M&G systems...have one on my Jeep Wrangler.
That's good to know. Now if they would just make a brake system to fit a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Just a side note, I really do know the difference between Brake and Break but at my age, what can I say (just another senior moment). Thanks for the update on M&G.
__________________
Royal & Suzy Washburn
97 BBWL 43'
Conway, AR
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-14-2011
Robert Britton Robert Britton is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hollister, California
Posts: 1,910
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldoc View Post
That's good to know. Now if they would just make a brake system to fit a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Just a side note, I really do know the difference between Brake and Break but at my age, what can I say (just another senior moment). Thanks for the update on M&G.
Haha...now you made me go back and correct my spelling! ...it's "breakaway"; one word.
__________________
Robert in Hollister, CA
Marathon XL40
Previously Owned; 04 M380, 88 PT-38, 87FC, 95 Weekender "Baby Bird"
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-14-2011
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
Haha...now you made me go back and correct my spelling! ...it's "breakaway"; one word.
Breakaway can be one word or many. It depends on whether it is currently happening, or just speculation. In the case of 'Currently happening', there are many ***** words involved
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-14-2011
moonbeam express's Avatar
moonbeam express moonbeam express is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: spring hill
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Breakaway can be one word or many. It depends on whether it is currently happening, or just speculation. In the case of 'Currently happening', there are many ***** words involved
Is yours the voice of experience? I've only lost a boat myself
__________________

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-14-2011
gcyeaw's Avatar
gcyeaw gcyeaw is offline
Gardner
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Ridgewood
Posts: 8,875
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam express View Post
Is yours the voice of experience? I've only lost a boat myself
Corey,
No, I have not lost a toad yet. I did pass one completely destroyed in the trees at the side of the road once. The RV was stopped a bit further down the road and they were walking back to survey the damage. At first I didn't realize it was a toad and thought there might be people in it, but when I saw the folks walking back kind of slowly I realized it was just a totaled toad.
__________________
Gardner Yeaw
86 PT-36 Golden Memories
83FC35 SB $IXTEEN TON$ SOLD
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-14-2011
moonbeam express's Avatar
moonbeam express moonbeam express is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: spring hill
Posts: 816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Corey,
No, I have not lost a toad yet. I did pass one completely destroyed in the trees at the side of the road once. The RV was stopped a bit further down the road and they were walking back to survey the damage. At first I didn't realize it was a toad and thought there might be people in it, but when I saw the folks walking back kind of slowly I realized it was just a totaled toad.
Glad to hear it. I imagine everyone on WOG has seen this video, but just in case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY
__________________

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-15-2011
fxdwg fxdwg is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: okc
Posts: 3,843
Default

I just don't get that fellow just taking off on down the road after seeing the damage done.

I can tell if I've forgotten to release the parking brake on the toad or put her into neutral. By just putting the coach into drive and slowly letting off the brakes (no accelerator pedal application), the coach will either slowly start rolling forward or it won't.
__________________
John
96 WTOS 42'
OKC USA!


don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-20-2011
Buckeye Bird's Avatar
Buckeye Bird Buckeye Bird is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lancaster
Posts: 2,371
Default

I just bought a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited for a toad (and daily driver), and after reading this thread and investigating how each system works and type of installation, I think I will go with the M & G system. It looks the easiest to install and fairly "Dummy proof". ( an important consideration )

Watching the video reminded me of a guy at Oshkosh a few years back that pulled in to the campground with his Jeep toad covered in black dust. His steering had been locked for quite a while and it scrubbed the rubber on his front tires down to the cords. He blamed it on his wife ( nice touch ....)
__________________
Dan & Janet
Buckeye Bird II
1994 BMC 37'
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio

Last edited by Buckeye Bird; 11-20-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-20-2011
howie2017 howie2017 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Melville, NY/Naples, FL
Posts: 40
Default toad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
I have the SMI inertia type system. It is not proportional, it steadily applies the brakes harder and harder until you cycle the brake lights off. My problem was when using the retarder downhill it would engage and I would need to cycle the retarder to cycle the brake lights to reset it. I would like the M&G but the Road master is also a good alternative for true proportional braking.

I am looking for a newer toad, so vehicle compatibility is one of the decision issues with the M&G.

I did find the Roadmaster with the breakaway system for AIR or Air over Hydraulic (motor home brakes) was around $800+-,

The one for hydraulic MH brakes was a bit over $1000 (needs compressor and air tank)
Have posted a 2005 CRV with MG braking system on website. If interested, car located in Naples, FL. 516-551-7029
__________________
howie2017
2000 LXI ss
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Air brake system nfun2 PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 12 09-21-2011 06:05 AM
Brakemaster proportionte brake system jim11dd Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions 1 02-01-2011 05:36 PM
Toad- 47 willys no parking brake 78bbird Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. 9 08-18-2010 12:26 PM
Toad Air Brake Connection on the Bird? curtsprenger PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) 17 06-09-2010 05:47 PM
Daily Testing & Inspecting Your Air Brake System iamflagman Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions 0 04-08-2008 01:00 AM

Web Search:

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.