Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 11-14-2011
Gardner

I have the SMI inertia type system. It is not proportional, it steadily applies the brakes harder and harder until you cycle the brake lights off. My problem was when using the retarder downhill it would engage and I would need to cycle the retarder to cycle the brake lights to reset it. I would like the M&G but the Road master is also a good alternative for true proportional braking.

I am looking for a newer toad, so vehicle compatibility is one of the decision issues with the M&G.

I did find the Roadmaster with the breakaway system for AIR or Air over Hydraulic (motor home brakes) was around $800+-,

The one for hydraulic MH brakes was a bit over $1000 (needs compressor and air tank)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 11-14-2011 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
There is now a Brake-Away option offered for the M&G systems...have one on my Jeep Wrangler.
That's good to know. Now if they would just make a brake system to fit a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Just a side note, I really do know the difference between Brake and Break but at my age, what can I say (just another senior moment). Thanks for the update on M&G.
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by drilldoc View Post
That's good to know. Now if they would just make a brake system to fit a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

Just a side note, I really do know the difference between Brake and Break but at my age, what can I say (just another senior moment). Thanks for the update on M&G.
Haha...now you made me go back and correct my spelling! ...it's "breakaway"; one word.
Old 11-14-2011
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
Haha...now you made me go back and correct my spelling! ...it's "breakaway"; one word.
Breakaway can be one word or many. It depends on whether it is currently happening, or just speculation. In the case of 'Currently happening', there are many ***** words involved
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
Breakaway can be one word or many. It depends on whether it is currently happening, or just speculation. In the case of 'Currently happening', there are many ***** words involved
Is yours the voice of experience? I've only lost a boat myself

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 11-14-2011
Gardner

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbeam express View Post
Is yours the voice of experience? I've only lost a boat myself
Corey,
No, I have not lost a toad yet. I did pass one completely destroyed in the trees at the side of the road once. The RV was stopped a bit further down the road and they were walking back to survey the damage. At first I didn't realize it was a toad and thought there might be people in it, but when I saw the folks walking back kind of slowly I realized it was just a totaled toad.
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 11-14-2011

Quote:
Corey,
No, I have not lost a toad yet. I did pass one completely destroyed in the trees at the side of the road once. The RV was stopped a bit further down the road and they were walking back to survey the damage. At first I didn't realize it was a toad and thought there might be people in it, but when I saw the folks walking back kind of slowly I realized it was just a totaled toad.
Glad to hear it. I imagine everyone on WOG has seen this video, but just in case
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZFCHk1XCDY

Corey Noble
Spring Hill, FL.
2000 43 LXI Millennium Edition
“I haven’t been everywhere, but it’s on my list.”
Old 11-15-2011

I just don't get that fellow just taking off on down the road after seeing the damage done.

I can tell if I've forgotten to release the parking brake on the toad or put her into neutral. By just putting the coach into drive and slowly letting off the brakes (no accelerator pedal application), the coach will either slowly start rolling forward or it won't.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 11-20-2011

I just bought a 2012 Wrangler Unlimited for a toad (and daily driver), and after reading this thread and investigating how each system works and type of installation, I think I will go with the M & G system. It looks the easiest to install and fairly "Dummy proof". ( an important consideration )

Watching the video reminded me of a guy at Oshkosh a few years back that pulled in to the campground with his Jeep toad covered in black dust. His steering had been locked for quite a while and it scrubbed the rubber on his front tires down to the cords. He blamed it on his wife ( nice touch ....)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio

Last edited by Buckeye Bird; 11-20-2011 at 01:08 PM.
Old 11-20-2011

Default toad

Quote:
I have the SMI inertia type system. It is not proportional, it steadily applies the brakes harder and harder until you cycle the brake lights off. My problem was when using the retarder downhill it would engage and I would need to cycle the retarder to cycle the brake lights to reset it. I would like the M&G but the Road master is also a good alternative for true proportional braking.

I am looking for a newer toad, so vehicle compatibility is one of the decision issues with the M&G.

I did find the Roadmaster with the breakaway system for AIR or Air over Hydraulic (motor home brakes) was around $800+-,

The one for hydraulic MH brakes was a bit over $1000 (needs compressor and air tank)
Have posted a 2005 CRV with MG braking system on website. If interested, car located in Naples, FL. 516-551-7029