Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-29-2008

Default Usable fuel 88 fc

How much usable fuel is in an 88-35FC? I know it has a 230 gallon tank, but I don't know how much has to be in the tank to keep it going down the road. I looked at the tank, and I don't see any sump to collect the last few drops, just a big flat bottom. I typically add about 120 - 130 gallons when I fill up, which is when the low fuel light starts to flash.

What kind of pickup is in the fuel tank? Is the pickup in the front or rear of the tank? If it loses prime because the fuel sloshes to one end or the other, will it self prime once the full settles out? I'd rather not learn this the hard way.

Thanks

BTW - sorry I haven't posted photos of my aux. air compressor mounting, plumbing, and wiring, but luckily I've been spending most of my time on the road instead of in the shop. I haven't forgoten.
Old 07-29-2008

The fuel is recoverd via a 'stand pipe' from the top of the tank. Threads into the top cover and is a few inches short of the bottom, so as not to collect gunk down there.
There is a reason 'bottom of the tank' is not a great thing.
I usually do 200 bucks in the morning and drive till it's gone. Hopefully have a place to stop by that time.
MH
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 07-29-2008

A few inches, that's terrible. The bottom of my tank is about 45" x 65". That's about 12.5 gallons or 100 miles range per inch of depth. A few inches means I'm carrying 30 - 40 gallons of unusable fuel, and lossing 300 - 400 miles of range. And that's on level ground. Going up or down a 10% grade would be worse. Boo hiss.