Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 08-19-2013

Default Question about flat towing

I've got the little Spark fixed up to tow. Base plate mounted lights ready.

The owners manual says to put the key into the accessory position . Why?? There is no steering wheel lock. Not using any light functions (due to the wireless lights I using) so why would I want to have the key in the accessory position?

Thoughts about this.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-19-2013

OK, It's terrible when a fellow as to answer his own question. Stopped at the dealers. There IS a steering wheel lock. I'm used to having to turn the wheel a little off center to lock it. This one you have to go a ways to drop into the lock.

SO don't worry about the ole Heck Man he's able to figure it out without ya all. I'll bet if I'd have put a twenty dollar on it for the first right answer I wouldn't have had to embarrass myself at the dealership would I ?

(I will admit that I muddied the water with the statement that there wasn't a steering wheel lock. )

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-19-2013

John, You are much better qualified to answer questions about "new" cars as you have more "new" cars than 10 regular members together.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-19-2013

I agree but I'd would like to know how a person would possibly quality for "regular member" ????

Seems to me this forum is pretty well all irregulars

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-19-2013
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
I agree but I'd would like to know how a person would possibly quality for "regular member" ????

Seems to me this forum is pretty well all irregulars
Hey.. I resemble that remark! hee hee hee
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 08-19-2013
Former Bird Owner

As you already figured out, the "acc" position unlocks the steering wheel -- a necessity when towing 4-down.

The toad also must be in neutral, so that the engine isn't being turned during towing.

Another consideration is to ensure that the "acc" position does not turn on so much "juice" that it drains the battery. My Camry (that I towed) required turning the key to the ACC position ... then turning it back to 'float' between the locked position and the ACC. Failure to do so inevitably resulted in a dead battery at my destination. Some vehicles require removing a particular fuse to avoid an unanticipated voltage drain.

Since I sold the Camry several years ago (and don't tow anything with my Roadtrek), I forgot the reasoning, but getting my Camry into neutral required turning a lock next to the shift knob to allow it to be taken out of park (when the engine wasn't running).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-19-2013

Well the Spark is manual trans so no issues there. I've played with it a little and it's a bit interesting. The best that I can determine is that the key really doesn't need to be in the accessory position as long as you do not remove the key from the ignition switch. If you do that you will have the steering wheel drop into the locked position. Once it's in the locked position you have to not just reinsert the key but turn it to the accessory position. Putting the key into the lock alone will not unlock the steering lock. That's a little confusing or at least I find it so.

I am going to make an effort to see if I can just remove or disable the steering wheel lock. Just to keep it entirely simple and fool proof. (I can get fooled I've proven that)

I'll get it sooner or later.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-19-2013

I haven't researched a Spark. Does the manual or some other reference say it can be towed 4 down?

Normally the car has to be a 4 x 4 and the crankcase in neutral. On my Jeep the crank case is in neutral and the transmission is in park. I don't think just a manual transmission is enough as the crankshaft will be turning.

I have to leave the key in and on accessory. I also pull the master ignition fuse to keep down the current draw during the tow. The battery can be ran down if you tow very many hours without cranking/recharging.

With your number of post I am probably not telling you anything you don't know, but just in case.
Fruita Colorado
Old 08-19-2013

Well, You know it's funny that it works this way. A fellow doesn't know what he doesn't know so all information is helpful. If not to me to others.

So having said that lets talk about what why the key needs to be in the accessory position beyond the steering wheel lock business. My car is a 2 wheel drive manual transmission which in the owners manual it says; "can be towed behind a motor home at speeds up to 55 miles per hour with the key in the accessory position transmission in neutral" I have already made the decision to tow over 55 and take my chances on that. I think the 55 might be an arbitrary number. All other similar cars say 65 what would possibly be the difference as to speed towed?

I would like to get the key out of the ignition and the doors locked and I can't see the reason not to as long as my steering isn't going to lock up.

Again why the key in the accessory position?? Lets talk about that in general. Does it have something to do with the transmissions auto or manual?

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia Sold
Old 08-19-2013
Administrator

can you use a 2nd set of keys to lock the doors ??