Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 10-25-2008

Unhappy Exhaust Update

Still no parts from BB.

Looking into 304 Stainless Steel for a custom built system.

Crunched the numbers and it’s about 35% more $’s

I had to use an air chisel to rip the muffler off the muffler to flex connector pipe.

Now that I’m inside the left side of the engine bay I can see I have a lot of work ahead of me.

New insulation in the entire compartment, most of the hoses, all the hoses, show some sort of wear or chaffing, The hydraulic fan needs a new alarmstat, I might as well get the radiator checked out because it’s coming out. new turbo, exhaust blankets, all new clamps and rubber connecting boots for the radiator and intake pipes, re-engineer the mounting bracket for the exhaust pipe, it’s to close to the turbo for the exhaust blankets to fit on without cramming them in. A/C compressor bracket need to be fixed , it’s a bit worn in the mount holes and the pulleys are off a few degree from inline with the belts, wearing on one side of belts.

I could go on but it’s depressing.

Kurt Horvath
94 PT 42
Grounded for repairs in 10AC
Old 10-26-2008

I've replaced the radiator and muffler in my '93. None of the parts came from BB. The radiator had to be custiom made in Philly (?) and took a week to get to Albuqurque. The muffler came from someplace out east also and took 3 days and I paid for expedite shipping to Salt Lake. If you've got an older Bird I think you're lucky if you get most any parts from BB.

The radiator job was about $8k. On the muffler I replaced everything from the turbo up.
1993 WB #104663 (SOLD)
Boulder City, NV
Old 10-26-2008

Lance,

8K for the radiator job, OUCH!

I tried a few years ago to get one from BB same story.

I'm hoping mines ok but you never know.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 10-26-2008
Forum Moderator

Greg OConnor recently pulled his 1994 PT40 radiator and tranny cooler for rebuild. The rad was rebuilt and the tranny cooler chemically cleaned. The rad had both tanks removed, rodded and resoldered. The interior of the tranny cooler was in good shape but the exterior had rusted. The mechanic recommended that the tranny cooler always have good exterior paint to prevent corrosion from the outside. Stewart radiator of Riverside Ca (two blocks from Coachworks) did the work for a total of $750.00. Greg removed and replaced the radiator himself. He didn't have to disconnect the associated rads such as the AC. He just removed them from their brackets and slid them to the side (lines still connected).
Old 10-26-2008

Hi Rob,

I’ve had this stuff out before and we did the same. Just moved the A/C condenser to the side.
The hoses are not in great shape and the heat from the broke exhaust really accelerated the wear and tear.
I’ll know this week how bad it is once I can get in there and asses the damage.

Darin sent an e-mail, should know this week about the exhaust, I have several other Co's. looking at it. Depending upon their responce, we may be able to offer other owners a SS system for their coaches.

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 10-26-2008
Forum Moderator

Good news Kurt. Mac Industrial Exhaust (Darin) has given me excellent service and hard to find parts several times.