Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 05-23-2013

Default M380 Separate Battery Chargers for Start Batteries and Generator Battery

Project. Install battery chargers for start batteries and generator battery.
One day my start batteries went dead . I was surprised because I had been hooked up to shore power for two weeks and I had the dashboard switch in the appropriate position to charge the start batteries in addition to the house batteries. Either the switch was bad or the relay was bad. When I tried to order the switch from Parliament they kept telling me they would get it but never did. Their excuse was the supplier did not want to sell them only one switch. After many months of their promising and my calling I decided I had to be self-reliant. Having replaced my generator start/stop switch I knew that a new switch could cost around $75 if not more and if I needed a new relay that could cost around $100 or so – and then after they were installed without periodic testing I would not know if they were performing. Better solution (my opinion) - I purchased for around $100 total two battery charger/minder/maintainers and installed one in the cockpit with wires running down into the bay below where the generator battery is located and the second one in the bottom rear most bed room cabinet with wires running down to the start batteries. (see photos for both installations) I can now see the charging and maintaining cycles and I have saved money as well. (see photos)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	GenChargerInCockpit.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	22411   Click image for larger version

Name:	StartBatChargerInRearCabinet.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	22412   Click image for larger version

Name:	HoleInRearCabForWiresToStartBat.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	22413   Click image for larger version

Name:	ElectRearCabinetForBatCharger.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	22414  
Old 09-20-2014
'83 FC35 SB in Gary, IN

I like your idea, as I now have a small charger secured with ties to the top of the engine batteries. I run a drop cord into my garage - tied to the bus at 2 points, around a downspout on the building, as the nice cord I originally had was disconnected from the short run - and stolen!

It's impossible to get my head into the battery compartment to check on the charger's performance. Starting is sluggish - even in summer! I'm sure your setup is superior, but even so, I imagine the batteries have to come out for testing and full charges - ground to starter assured, as I just read assures good starts.

Thanks for your post! Now to figure out how to run power into the bus without exposing the connector box to potential thieves. I sure wish I knew more about electricity 'n wiring - AND was more resourceful, generally!
1983 FC35 SB
Old 09-20-2014

[QUOTE=LONDONJACK;269840]I like your idea, as I now have a small charger secured with ties to the top of the engine batteries. I run a drop cord into my garage - tied to the bus at 2 points, around a downspout on the building, as the nice cord I originally had was disconnected from the short run - and stolen!

Anybody want to buy some extension cords
These were obtained from my favorite store - - - MIDNIGHT ACQUISITIONS INC.

LONDONJACK - I'll cut you in for a piece of the action
"Bordering On Adequate"
Old 09-21-2014
'83 FC35 SB in Gary, IN

Talking

[QUOTE=KCSS;269852][QUOTE=
Anybody want to buy some extension cords
These were obtained from my favorite store - - - MIDNIGHT ACQUISITIONS INC.

LONDONJACK - I'll cut you in for a piece of the action [/QUOTE]

So was it YOU, KC? How about you sell me some 'hot' solar panels, instead???
1983 FC35 SB
Old 09-21-2014

Our BBs were designed to provide a strong platform for continuing innovation and thanks to this site, its members and necessity they not only will last forever, but keep reinventing themselves.