Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 07-28-2014

Default towing failure sighted

Yesterday, on my southbound highway commute to Cloverdale, we saw a mess that had been coned off by the CHP. One lane was closed.

Two big and shiney maybe new Diesel Pusher MHs were pulled over and the occupants meeting with the CHP officer.

It appears that one of the units was pulling a flatbed trailer carrying a Jeep Cherokee. The hitch appeard to have failed - meaning there was a visible receiver, but no bar & ball, just a naked square hole.

The MHs appeared to be ok. The 2-axle trailer was upright. The Cherokee was half-off the trailer. I couldn't really evaluate the scope of damage while driving by at 25 mph.

I hate seeing things like that.

My sense is that they had a big near-miss, and the CHP probably wrote a big ticket.

No photo. But it did happen.
1993 Automate FW SOLD
1984 Toyota Dolphin
Old 07-28-2014

Default Tow Failure

Ouch!

One of our worse dreams

Lee - 423-292-5767 or Jacque 423-262-9569
or lnjdavis@gmail.com Please call or email instead of private messages

1995 BMC 37
300 HP Cummins 6CTA 8.3 Turbocharged Diesel
Boldly Going Nowhere
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #117
Old 07-28-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

This has nothing to do with decoupling trailer but, I always wondered how the phrase "near miss" came about. We hear it in reference to airplanes too.

Seems like "near hit" is a better description.

Maybe an incorrect use that somehow caught on?

Another one we often hear is "I could care less" (means I care some), when in fact what is really meant is "I could not care less".
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 07-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
This has nothing to do with decoupling trailer but, I always wondered how the phrase "near miss" came about. We hear it in reference to airplanes too.

Seems like "near hit" is a better description.

Maybe an incorrect use that somehow caught on?

Another one we often hear is "I could care less" (means I care some), when in fact what is really meant is "I could not care less".
Hi Bill,

In the types of jobs I've held, "near miss" has a distinctive meaning when tied to a safety program. I guess it has become part of my vocabulary. Another way to say it might be, "They're lucky they didn't have a fatality or major wreck."
1993 Automate FW SOLD
1984 Toyota Dolphin
Old 07-28-2014
RV Appraiser

I would say this has more to do with inexperienced operators who failed to perform routine safety checks and visual inspections. Every time we stop I do a walk around, looking at safety chains, hooks and to see if my receiver pin is in place. I realize mechanical failures do happen but the evidence of no ball tells me it came out of the receiver assembly. People laugh or poke fun at me but that is why I use bolts, lock washers and nuts on my tow bar and most of the time on my receiver. By doing so prevents someone from pulling the quick disconnect pins at a rest stop. I and others have had this to happen and it is a very frightening experience. Watching your Jeep sway side to side in the middle of traffic whizzing by at 70 MPH on the Phoenix freeway will cause you to moisten your paints. Once I came upon an RV towing a trailer where the axle on the trailer had broke and the wheel was sliding out into the flow of traffic in this case you just have to slow down and watch the fiasco happen.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 07-28-2014
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNewell View Post
Hi Bill,

In the types of jobs I've held, "near miss" has a distinctive meaning when tied to a safety program. I guess it has become part of my vocabulary. Another way to say it might be, "They're lucky they didn't have a fatality or major wreck."
Fred - You got me curious and saw this in Wiki... pretty much states what you are saying. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_miss_(safety)

Thanks!
St. Petersburg, Florida
Wanderlodge Social: https://mewe.com/profile/5bfc750ae760be22b1797898
Old 07-28-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH Bill View Post
Fred - You got me curious and saw this in Wiki... pretty much states what you are saying. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Near_miss_(safety)

Thanks!
Bill,

Here at work there is a minor celebration because we have documented twice as many near misses in employee safety as the previous period. The theory is that we will be proactive (another buzz word) and analyze the event, and be more aware of what makes the difference. Notice, if you would, how on this WOG board, people tell their stories. Others digest the info and likely avoid having the same issues.

...and a wise man learns from someone else's mistakes... and if you're gonna be dumb, you better be tough... Things we taught our kids as they grew into adults.

Cheers!

Fred
1993 Automate FW SOLD
1984 Toyota Dolphin