Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-08-2008

Default Dash Heat not working

I finally needed to use the dash heat this week, and I was not able to move the slide lever between the cool and warm settings. It is actually stuck in a luke warm setting, I've been thinking the A/C was not working properly, but I'm of the conclusion that the mixing valve is just frozen. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can free this up, and prevent failure in the future? I'm not sure how to access the valve to free it up, so any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks
Old 12-08-2008

If that slide valve is like mine it is electrical and there is what I think is a timer board behind it that activates a valve somewhere under the step area. The farther the slide is moved to the right the longer the heat stays on in cycles.
You might pull it out and see what is up. It might be as simple as cleaning it up with some electrical spray, don't know.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 12-09-2008

The control assembly in our coaches is a Chrysler (plymouth, late 80's early 90's) unit. I'm pretty sure Leroy is correct, in that the slide is electric and doesn't directly connect to the mixing valve/flap. Most of the newer vehicles had the heater going all the time and just changed the airflow direction to get cool or hot air. I've installed a shut off in the heater feed on my pickup so I can truly shut the hot water flow in the summer. My AC will frost the windows in the Oklahoma summer!

Back to your question, Corey- most of these control units are pretty stiff. Mine is especially so when going to the recirculate position. I expect you can lube it with a nonpetroleum based lubricant. Just pull the panel it's mounted on and you should have enough access to get to it.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 12-10-2008

Default Experiencing a Similar Problem

On my coach I noticed that I was not getting any heat when I flipped the switch to the heat side. My slider moved freely, but it made no difference in the temperature of the air flow. I located what I believe to be the valve, and it has an electrical connection. I was not real excited about this as I was hoping that it had manual valves for the heat. I would consider swapping it out for manual valves I could turn on in the winter, however, I'm afraid that it may affect the air conditioning as well which would be less than satisfactory during those spring/fall times when I may need both. I will be interested to hear if you determine it was a problem at the slider or if it was a problem with the valve itself. Good luck!

Jason Warner
Yukon, Oklahoma
1990 SP36

Last edited by jasonwarner; 12-10-2008 at 01:26 PM.
Old 12-10-2008
ANOTHER REDNECK

flip upper switch to winter
this controls a sporlan valve to open flow

the lower control has 0 restistance

its electric with a controller on a heater hose under the pass side of the bus

if...you dont have a aux water pump then it takes a few to get hot up to the ft.

if mine messes up ..it will have a manual valve and cable run up to the control also........

steve b(dupree products)will have many parts you need for this bus
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 12-10-2008

I could be totally incorrect because I do not have a diagram for that heat system.
I think it works like this. Slide the slider to the right, it activates the timer board which in turn sends 12v off and on and opens and closes a relay, #12 I think, which operates the valve under the passenger side. Your feet are the thermostat. Slide the slider to the left and it operates less frequently causing less heat.
If someone finds out differently, I would appreciate the info for my files.

Former "Smoke N Mirrors" caretaker
Old 01-03-2009

I fixed this problem by following the cable from the selector slide on the dash, to a mixing valve (all mechanical) The valve was stiff, I worked on it a little, and all appears to be well now. Man this thing will put out the heat!!
Old 01-03-2009

Corey,

The front thermostat for the aquahot should be turned on to heat, auto, and set to desired temp. When you use the dash controls the front hydronic heaters will work under the dash.

Mine only functions this way when the motor is running, the same way the dash air works. Not sure if this is correct.

It would be nice to have that baseboard heater running while parked, with the kids going in and out all the time.

Kurt Horvath
95 Pt 42
10AC
Old 01-03-2009
Former Bird Owner

Kurt,
My Aquahot radiator in the front dash area works from the center thermostat. The fans under the kitchen cabinet are so loud that you can't hear the fans from the A-H radiator under the sofa or up front -- but I can feel the heat coming out. The front-most thermostat does absolutely nothing when set to 'heat'.

There is also a chassis heat radiator in the dash area that's controlled by the automotive control above the rear view monitor. It throws a good amount of heat -- although I found that a wire had 'hung up' one of the vent baffles, so I wasn't getting good airflow in some settings. While exploring the dash area, I spotted the tangled wire, untangled it, and tied it out of the way, and now the different settings work more as you'd expect (feet, both, upper, defrost).

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com