Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 06-22-2018

Jim a couple of questions.

What model did you use?
Is it AC and propane?
How was the BLUEBIRD design made on top?
Looks Great,
Nelson

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Brian, I had a drawer below my Dometic and a cabinet above. You will have to tear both out. Not a big loss because my cabinet above was very small. The drawer below we used for seldom used items because it was difficult bend over that low to get stuff out. So you take out a ton of screws and tear out a ton of clear caulk at each seam. Not as hard as you think but it does take some effort. When your done you won't be sorry. Set the fridge on the floor. The only easy way to do it. This is how I finished mine, at the open top and also securing for travel.

Attachment 45183

Attachment 45184

Attachment 45185

Attachment 45186

I forgot to add that I took a steel 2' wide flat bar that was longer than the fridge is wide. Something like 35 inches or so. Anyway, I bent the ends up on the bar right at the width of the fridge. Then screwed those ends to the sidewall. When you get the fridge you will see some indentations on top of the cover for the hinges. I drilled holes in the bar where those indentations were. Dropped in a bolt in each hole to secure the top of the fridge from moving. The bottom I took construction adhesive glued down a block at each wheel to keep it from rolling out. It is very secure.
Old 06-22-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nelson007 View Post
Jim a couple of questions.

What model did you use?
The RF 18 which I think has been discontinued, but they do have a replacement. Not sure what it is though.
Is it AC and propane?
I don't think Samsung makes anything but AC
How was the BLUEBIRD design made on top?
There is a water jet place in Fort Wayne that cut it out for me.
I had to provide the design and the dimensions. They got the s.s. and cut it.
The cabinet above was just too high for Michele to reach and all but useless. The one above the micro/conv is the same way. This also allows for much better air circulation and hopefully a longer lasting fridge.

Looks Great,
Thanks
Nelson

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 06-22-2018

Out with the old in with the new.
There are a few differences between the two units the computer controlled was on top of my old one now it’s on the backside left as you’re looking at it from the rear electric cord is a different location other than that hope this one works better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3CC8789-1B9D-46AF-ADB4-6613FB07D99C.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	205.2 KB
ID:	56072   Click image for larger version

Name:	5AF2B5C9-AA7B-4FD8-A8A1-982F3E29F1B9.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	56073  
Old 06-23-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Have any of you seen and do any of you have any experience with a product advertised in the FMCA magazine to convert your present gas/electric into a gas/electric that will work like a residential refrigerator or convert it 100% into a residential electric refrigerator that runs on 1 amp either way with their $200 give or take parts. They have videos on the internet for DIY people or you can drive to their offices and they will install the parts.

I have not seen this conversion kit.
But,unless its a typo i doubt any absorption fridge can run on one amp,

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 06-23-2018

I believe it is a compressor conversion. My thought is that the Norcold box is terrible and I was glad to get rid if it. Also Norcold bought it back from me for $1100. (Exploding Norcold class action)
I have the Samsung and love it. 1.5 years and 0 issues.

Nelson, I had DuraFlap make me a SS top plate for my fridge. Looks great and was under $100.
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 06-23-2018

I agreed with U on the Norcold
Slim Somerville can tell all about his fIRE!
Old 06-23-2018

I'm back home from my trip and here's the information from the FMCA Mag. Ad:
The Company is called JC Refrigeration WWW.JC-refrigeration.com tel: 260-768-4067
email jcref@centurylink.net Replace your RV refrigeration cool unit with an all-new replacement cooling unit. Easy Install DIY Choose from our gas/electric cooling unit or convert your existing fridge to a HVAC residential cooling unit.
Old 06-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I'm back home from my trip and here's the information from the FMCA Mag. Ad:
The Company is called JC Refrigeration WWW.JC-refrigeration.com tel: 260-768-4067
email jcref@centurylink.net Replace your RV refrigeration cool unit with an all-new replacement cooling unit. Easy Install DIY Choose from our gas/electric cooling unit or convert your existing fridge to a HVAC residential cooling unit.
I just used JC Refrigeration, before meeting Leon at Shipsy, and went with the new replacement, gas/electric, in my 4 door dometic. It's in a 5th wheel camper and can't recall the model #. 3 hr job and love the results. Probably gonna do the Bird if or when it gives out. Several people have went this route at the campground, where we keep it, and all are very satisfied. It's pricey but good.
Old 06-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpersbird View Post
Out with the old in with the new.
There are a few differences between the two units the computer controlled was on top of my old one now it’s on the backside left as you’re looking at it from the rear electric cord is a different location other than that hope this one works better
Hey Kurt. Let us know how that new Samsung unit works out for you. We've been looking for a residential french-door that's not an RF18 but all the specs we look at keep leading us back to the RF18. There's just not much available in the width that we need. At the moment, unless the perfect refrigerator falls from the sky, we're still planning to install the RF18 in a few weeks.

Thanks to all who provided feedback about their experience with the RF18. The information has been very helpful to us.
Old 06-24-2018

Kev, I really had no choice.
I rebuilt the fridge cabinet for that unit. I wasn’t going to do that again, so back to the RF-18

But if I were doing it over again and had the money these guys make really nice refrigerators

https://www.fisherpaykel.com/us/kitc...s/fridges.html