Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems

Most Frequently Asked Questions About Operating Systems Here you will find some of the most frequently asked questions about the operating systems on a 'Bird. If you have one that you think should be added place it in here.

Site Search:

Old 04-13-2009

Default Weight Distribution on Rear Wheels

1995 42' Wanderlodge. Weighed it at Perry in March, 2009. Found left main heavier than right main, but left tag lighter than right tag. Is there a suspension adjustment to shift, say 500 pounds, from the left main to the left tag? That would even up the load on the mains and the tags, and put the drive axle within limits when fully loaded, as well as improve tire wear on the tags.

I would have thought the main and tag would share the load similarly on each side. My left tag seems to be loafing.

Specifically:
left front 6650 right front 6700

left main 11600 right main 11100

left tag 4600 right tag 5200

This looks weird to me. Anybody have experience with this?

Thanks.
Old 04-13-2009
Forum owner

the tag axle has a pressure regulator that just controls how much pressure is in the bags,it does not control side to side load,or balance.

the drive axle,or main axle as you call it has a ride height adjuster on each side,this is what will control the weight on the axles side to side.
you need to adjust the ride height valve on one side slightly,what you are playing with is 250lbs,if one side is 500lbs heavy,to balance the weights you need to add or subtract 250lbs from one side..
250 lbs will be a small adjustment.
On race cars,the balance is set with the vehical on the scales.

be careful working under your coach,jack stands and all that safety stuff is required!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-13-2009

So would you raise the light side (putting more pressure on it) or lower the heavy side?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-13-2009
Former Bird Owner

Realize, too, that weights are not that precise. The total on an axle is pretty accurate (when weighed by individual scales tire-by-tire) but air bag loading can give spurious effects to the side-to-side measurement. I got questionable weights (initially, over 1000# difference) when my coach was weighed at Henderson's Line-Up in Grants Pass OR... re-weighing a few minutes later, and we got different side-to-side results (but the total axle loads were the same).

It seems that the bags 'load up' based on recent maneuvers and they may take some time to readjust to a more stable state. A difference of 250 or 500 lbs is not that significant on a vehicle that may weigh 47,000 or 48,000 lbs. when loaded for the road.

My solution was simply to air the tires to carry the weight of the 'heavy' side and not worry about it.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 04-13-2009
Forum owner

Pete is so right.
weighing with air bags (comparing wheel to wheel) is not accurate.
and to tell the truth,to get really precise weights the shocks need to be un-hooked.

i raced stock cars for many years,we weighed our cars every week,the balance was very important in stock car racing.
the drill went like this:
wash the car after a race,roll it into the shop,and onto the scales,unhook all shocks.
fill with fuel,place the driver in the seat with helmet,gloves and firesuit.
the hood had to be in place etc.
weigh each wheel.

If we needed to change the balance on the rear by 250LBs,side to side,we would add turns to the jack bolt on one side,and take turns out of the other side.
we go slow,add 2 turns,take two turns,bounce the car,then weigh.
if you add it all to one side you change the diagonal weight,you will change the front weight along with the rear weight by turning just one jack bolt.

on the birds,the tag does not adjust from side to side,nor does the front.
the drive axle is the only axle that has two height control valves,so you can add or subtract weight from each side,and add a little diagonal weight too.

Ron,your coach is also 850lbs heavy on the left side,now heres something to think about,you cannot change the left side weight unless you move stuff.
nor can you change the front to rear weights,without moving stuff.
you can change diagonal weigh with the height control valves,which will add weight to the dive wheels.
confused yet?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-13-2009

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 04-13-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdwg View Post

What John Said???

Kurt Horvath
95 PT 42
10AC
Old 04-13-2009

I'm thinking I have to find a claxon to get my dive wheels to work properly!!!!

Old 04-13-2009

Hey Folks,

Interesting topic. When I purchased my coach it was too heavy on the front axle by several hundred pounds. I used the regulator decreasing the air pressure on the tag axle from 65 psi to 55 psi which shifted more weight on the tag and drive axle bringing the front axle weight back down to acceptable limits.

After making several adjustments I would rescale using a CAT scale at the local truck stop weighing each axle separately. Not sure how accurate these scales are but thats what I used. I did wait a few minutes letting the coach settle before taking the reading. In your opinion was this the proper way to adjust for this situation?

Thanks
Old 04-13-2009
Forum owner

yes, a very good way to move weight around.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com