Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics

Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics Good Places To Stop For Repairs And Maintenance, Mobile Mechanics, Or Bad Places To Avoid Too -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please add the names of facilities that you can recommend for service and repairs for a 'Bird, or those places to avoid for the same things. Be sure to give as much information as you can....... NAME OF BUSINESS..... BUSINESS LOCATION..... BUSINESS PHONE NUMBER..... BUSINESS CONTACT PERSON..... YEAR/ MODEL/ENGINE/TRANS OF 'BIRD WORKED ON..... WHAT ARE THEIR HOURLY REPAIR RATES..... SERVICE WAS GOOD, OR BAD..... WHAT KIND OF SERVICE, OR REPAIR WAS DONE..... REASON YOU RECOMMEND, OR AVOID DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM..... YOUR NAME..... Here is a tip about how to post your record and comments. First copy the topics above and then open a "New Thread" with the NAME OF THE BUSINESS and/or the TOWN WHERE THE BUSINESS IS LOCATED, then paste what you just copied there and then fill in the information.

Site Search:

Old 08-17-2018
Mays Landing NJ

Default Risco RV, Farmingdale, New Jersey

DO NOT--I REPEAT--DO NOT patronize this outfit. Just sold my bird, but had a few issues to attend to... They are an Authorized Powertech Dealer... Reported that the Fluid Cap was cracked... Buyer authorized replacement of cap... Part cost 13 dollars and change... Was charged two hours labor --after the fact... Replaced six tires, six hours labor was charged. They will spend time looking for issues, and then charge the labor to something else... Find someone trust worthy to work on your coach..

rodmanb294@comcast.net

1996 WB 42 ft Body #115788
1973 MCI-7 BUS Conversion
Old 08-17-2018

I have never heard of someone charging hourly rate to change a tire. Usually charge a mount and balance fee per tire.

Lance and Terry Wilson
Decatur, Al
1994 WB
1979 FC31
1983 PT40 (Sold)
Lance.wilson59@gmail.com
386-785-5551
Old 08-28-2018

Hi

I’m the buyer of Rodmanb294’s 1996 WB 42’ coach. I was very surprise when I was informed I would be charged 6 hours labor to install the drive and tag tires ($654.00). Tire balance was $180.00, shop supplies $40.00, NJ tire tax $9.00 and disposal fee was $78.00. All this on top of the cost for the tires. I was also charged $319.61 to check and advise on the condition of the alternator, which I had them replace at considerable expense.

I’m a newbie to bus ownership so not sure if the cost is normal for a bus.

At the end of the day, I’m glad to have the bus.
Old 08-28-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rzamot View Post
Hi

I’m the buyer of Rodmanb294’s 1996 WB 42’ coach. I was very surprise when I was informed I would be charged 6 hours labor to install the drive and tag tires ($654.00). Tire balance was $180.00, shop supplies $40.00, NJ tire tax $9.00 and disposal fee was $78.00. All this on top of the cost for the tires. I was also charged $319.61 to check and advise on the condition of the alternator, which I had them replace at considerable expense.

NO!!!! Those are crazy insane numbers. I have bought lots of tires for my bus and was never charged another dime for installation past the cost of balance beads and I forgot to add disposal fee. The $319 to check if an alternator is working is nothing short of robbery. I don't know about NJ but here in IN I would go after them somehow, unless you just gave them a blank check before the work started, by not asking potential fees. Maybe the AG of the state.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 08-28-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Hi

OK,lesson learned.
Next time check here on wog before you have work done.
That alternator is obsolete and we have a kit to put a way cheaper alternator on it.
For less than $1000 you could have a new alternator thats easy to find and change yourself.
We are the place for the right info,and we never sleep!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-28-2018

Quote:
Hi

Crazy prices. Hope you put it on a card so you can challenge the charges. BBB may be of some help. Should have check with WOG.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-28-2018

Thank you all,

Before deciding to buy the bus, I knew it needed drive and tag tires because the PO mentioned it in the ad. During my first inspection with my younger brother he noticed the alternator was leaking oil. When I mentioned it to a WOG member he informed me to be careful because if a ball bearing found its way through the filters and ended in the engine It could be big trouble. (I hope I remembered that correctly) Well, that scared the bejesus out of me. I did not want to drive it at all in that condition. So, when the PO took the bus in for service I took the opportunity and had Risco RV replace the alternator. It cost what it did for peace of mind.

Randy-the WOG member did tell me about your alternator. I was too far and too nervous being my first bus. I hope you can still help a newbie like myself by looking at my bus and advising next steps if any. I was thinking about heading to Coachcraft in January or February 2019 on my way to Disney World to see if they can repair a headliner and some kitchen drawers.

Last edited by rzamot; 08-28-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-28-2018
Forum owner

Leaks are common on the DN50.
I have never seen or heard of a bearing going through the system,i guess it could happen..

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-29-2018

You got SCREWED!!
I was born in NYC, raised in Harlem, finished HS in New Jersey.
Seems like a LOT of companies up there try to take advantage of someone who doesn't know the product.
Used to happen a LOT to car owners that had a squeak, and they would try to soak the poor customer.
As has been stated.....check with the WOG BEFORE spending the $$$.
You won't be sorry.
I lurked for a year and a half before I bought my bird...LOTS of friendly and knowledge here (not me tho)
Old 08-29-2018

You're probably right. But on a brighter note, I got my bus! And she's a beauty. That been said, the bus is 22 years old and will most likely need lots of TLC. And I'm looking forward to learn a lot here on WOG.