Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics

Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics Good Places To Stop For Repairs And Maintenance, Mobile Mechanics, Or Bad Places To Avoid Too -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please add the names of facilities that you can recommend for service and repairs for a 'Bird, or those places to avoid for the same things. Be sure to give as much information as you can....... NAME OF BUSINESS..... BUSINESS LOCATION..... BUSINESS PHONE NUMBER..... BUSINESS CONTACT PERSON..... YEAR/ MODEL/ENGINE/TRANS OF 'BIRD WORKED ON..... WHAT ARE THEIR HOURLY REPAIR RATES..... SERVICE WAS GOOD, OR BAD..... WHAT KIND OF SERVICE, OR REPAIR WAS DONE..... REASON YOU RECOMMEND, OR AVOID DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM..... YOUR NAME..... Here is a tip about how to post your record and comments. First copy the topics above and then open a "New Thread" with the NAME OF THE BUSINESS and/or the TOWN WHERE THE BUSINESS IS LOCATED, then paste what you just copied there and then fill in the information.

Site Search:

Old 06-08-2009
Rode Hard and Hung Up Wet

Talking Southern Oregon Diesel

A family owned and operated establishment, started in 1954, dedicated to repairing and servicing diesel buses and trucks. Situated on almost 4 acres of land just off Interstate 5 in Southern Oregon. Southern Oregon Diesel specializes in the repair and maintenance of buses for the converted bus market.

We have a full inventory of new and used parts and trained mechanics with Journeymen ratings. Ongoing education is mandatory for all employees to ensure the continuance of our high quality of efficient service. We are licensed, authorized dealers for both Detroit Diesel and Allison Transmissions. We are also commercial members in the FMCA (Family Motor Coach Association) as well as the PATA (Pacific Automotive Trades Association). We have always strived for perfection in our work.

You can Contact Southern Oregon Diesel through to following means
Call us at: 1.541.672.7400
Email us at: sodiesel@douglasfast.net
Or visit us at 7151 Old Highway 99 Roseburg, Oregon 97470
http://www.southernoregondiesel.com/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatGuySlim View Post
Hi Flight,

My daughter & I will be leaving on the 1st, going to Roseburg, Oregon. First stop, Industrial Tire, for 8 new Hankooks. Then we will stay the night about a mile or so to down the road at Southern Oregon Diesel. I am having a chassis inspection done.

Now I am having everything checked, rear end, brakes, belts, hoses, wires, exhaust and steering. Also having the Trans oil & filters changed.

Southern Oregon Diesel has a very good rep. here in the PNW and that is why I am driving 350 miles one way to have them go over Bug Smasher.

But to be on the safe side, I do not want to forget anything that needs to be checked or anything that could be missed. I have CRS.

Any and all input here is wanted. I like getting the job done right the first time.

Thanks.......

My daughter & I left for Roseburg, Oregon on the first of June. Our first stop was at Industrial Tire, we got in at 12:45pm for 8 new Hankooks tires and I had my Dyna Beads (packs) installed.

Now on the way home I got a 350+ mile test ride on the tires & the beads.....even in some heavy rain. The coach was glued to the road, with a smooth quiet ride (the dyna beads work very well) Now just to let you know, I do not run my tires per BB psi. I run with 100psi in all 8 tires. This works for me, maybe not for you. We paid the bill and we off to Southern Oregon Diesel at 4:30pm.

Going back north a few miles we pulled in to SOD at about 5:00pm. We got a warm welcome and was told where to park for the night, with water & elect hook up. They also have a place for customers to dump your tanks if needed, just ask.

At 8:15 we were in the office to get started on our chassis inspection. Met David & Dennis Gregory, the owners. David said he would put our coach in one of the bays and I asked if he would do a test drive first, and he said good idea. After the test drive in the shop we went. David told me that at some point I would be given a creeper and could go under the my bus for a good look. We (daughter & dog) were given full access to the shop while we were there. (How many shops do that any more?)

Chassis inspection takes about an hour. About 45 mins into ours somethings were found that were not good. I will at this point list all the major work that was done.

Found Front Brakes & Drums Bad...Replace All, Wheel Bearings, Wheel Seals, Drums & Brake Shoes, Pack Wheel Bearings, Replace QR-1 Air Valve, Tighten Drag Link Ends. Found Bad Coolant Lines, Replace With New. Add DCA To Coolant. Installed New Leveling Valve on Front Axle, Replace All 4 Front Airbags w/New, Replace Rear Brake Hoses. New Air Filter.

Pictures of the shop/work.
http://s171.photobucket.com/albums/u...sel/?start=all

We started on the 2nd and were done about 3:30pm on the 5th.

Now a few words about Southern Oregon Diesel. They know their stuff, backwards & forwards, they talk diesel. They have the right tools and equipment to get the job done, this saves me time & money.

They are friendly and customer service, is for real, not just a buzz word. When you stay a day or longer and don't have a car. They will ask you if you want to go get something to eat or take you to a motel. We went to eat 2 times a day. And we went to a motel 6 one night, as it was easier than putting the wheels back on the bus to roll out of the shop for the night.

Shop rate is $85.00 per hr. (Here in Seattle that would be $100.00 an up and no one could recommend a shop) The mechanic (Wayne) that worked on my coach was very knowledgeable to the jobs a hand, so did not waste any time getting it done. He did not ride the clock. By the way, I was allowed to lend a helping hand to Wayne, here and there, when he needed one or two more hands.

One other thing I did notice in the shop with all the mechanics that work there. I did not hear one swear word in 4 days. This in it's self should tell you something about this business.

They are busy, takes a about 2 days lead time to get in for service. But if your broke down, they will help you out and get right on it.

Will I use them again? In a hart beat, if I need any work done on my chassis. I still have 6 airbags to go.

Southern Oregon Diesel's shop reminds me of the way it was back when I was a kid. When my dad would take me with him to the garage to have work done on his Ford F-250. I found myself looking for that old pop machine, you know the one. That you put in your dime, lifted up the bottle by it's top and slide it down the groove to that place where you pulled it up and out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SOG.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	2060  
1982 PT40 Coffee, Tea or Weasel Spit?
Cruiseairs & Roof Airs
Red 6V92
Photobucket http://tinyurl.com/cn85dx

Old 07-04-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Default News from SOD

I see several threads in the archive about Southern Oregon Diesel. I'll post this here, it is just an update.

I sent Southern Oregon Diesel an enquiry recently to ask if they could get my SP in for wheel bearing inspection/service and diagnose my brake squeal when coming to a full stop.

Received a personal reply, advising me that they'd do that, and to call for an appointment. So I let him know SOD gets our vote of confidence with 100% positive comments on the WOG, and is on our list of service centers for 'birds on the I-5.

Here's his changes:

================================================== ===========
We've leased our front building to Pape’ Kenworth Dealership..... we moved to the building directly behind that front building. We are only going to work on mid size trucks, pickup trucks and motor homes.....no more large ( troublesome ) trucks.

We feel very released that we could have this happen to us at this time in our lives..... I will be 63 in Oct..... yahoo...... phone is same,
541-672-7400
David Gregory
================================================== =======

Happy 63rd, David!
Full-time in 2019
Old 07-10-2014

Talked to David today about doing some undercarriage work for us when passing thru.
He turned me down stating that they are working mostly on diesel pickups and small stuff now.
He said he had his back fused and can't do engine work or anything that required any bending or stuff.
Friendly guy, just said he is downsizing and doesn't want the work anymore.
Old 07-10-2014
Goat rails in the sunset

Thanks for the clarifying update on SOD, sounds like time for moving on after all.

A friend up by Portland told me about Western Bus in Boring. They're a Blue Bird dealer, they've done some work for him and apparently are able to work on Wanderlodges, but I don't know much more. You might give them a call.

I'll try and remember to ask David if he can recommend a shop in southern Oregon.
Full-time in 2019
Old 07-10-2014

Ned, did your friend take his bird to Western bus? Wondering if he had good experience or something else? I have talked to them and they assure me they do work on Wanderlodges and if the problem is over their head they will refer me to someone else.
Old 07-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbedinger View Post
Thanks for the clarifying update on SOD, sounds like time for moving on after all.

A friend up by Portland told me about Western Bus in Boring. They're a Blue Bird dealer, they've done some work for him and apparently are able to work on Wanderlodges, but I don't know much more. You might give them a call.

I'll try and remember to ask David if he can recommend a shop in southern Oregon.

Brian, Ned is correct. I took my bus into Western Bus this year for its annual chassis inspection. In addition I had them install new Koni's on the steer axle and repair the cruise control and transmission retarder. Since they are a Bluebird dealer they are able to easily source parts and they understood the workings of my Wanderlodge. While they were not exceptionally fast they were very thorough and I will not hesitate to take my bus back to them when necessary.

Richard Baker
Newberg, Oregon
1987 PT40 (SOLD)
F75399
8V92
Old 07-10-2014

I too thru the school district have used Western Bus Sales and find them very
honest to work with. If it is a Bluebird issue they are great. Normally the issue is motor related and that means Pederson Cat in Portland. They CAN be good...(Probably fine on non computer based Cats.) Frankly, If it is Cummins
powered we have no problems.
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."
Old 07-10-2014

John, Richard, thanks for the comments, they are to close to me to not give them a chance but I sure feel better knowing you guys had a good experience. Thanks a bunch!