Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 11-24-2018

Default Back surgery

Went in the hospital on 10/10 for a lumbar laminectomy. Got out the next day. I was doing well until the fourth day out and the pain was unbearable. I think the doc didn't believe I was in pain but it was much worse than earlier in the summer when I passed four kidney stones. Went back in the hospital and they gave me heavy duty antibiotics thinking they could kill an infection. I was on Percocet and morphine and it didn't touch the pain at all. I had a migraine headache for sixteen day straight. Six days later they opened my back up again to clean out the infection. Had a major hemorrhoid problem from the narcotics and they operated on that too. The infectious disease doc kept promising to come and see me to release me but he never showed and I was in for 21 days. I decided I had to get out of there no matter what. Found the head of neurosurgery's phone number and I called him and left a message stating I was going home that day if I had to walk out with my butt showing out of my gown and the IV's dragging on the ground that afternoon. My surgeon showed up in my room in a five minutes and he gave me the OK but the Infectious Disease guy had the final say. The nurses wouldn't give me any info about when he would come. They said no body knows how to get ahold of him. I had a meltdown, not buying that BS! Everyone no matter who they are has a way to get hold of them and somebody is going to release me or I would do it myself. So they guy showed up in about an hour. They scheduled me for a PICC line in my arm to infuse vacomycin at home. Vacomycin is a heavy duty antibiotic that is used to kill MRSA or other infections. I got out about 530 that afternoon. I do the infusions at home now for a total of six weeks twice a day. Each infusion takes 2 1/2 hours but better than a minute longer in the hospital. I have a long road of recovery ahead but getting stronger every day. My wife is a saint, taking care of me and all the things I can't do around home yet. My best buddy came down from North Detroit today and got me out of the house for a trip to Tony Packo's for some Hunky food and I gave him the T-Town tour of my old neighborhood and the Fire Repair Shop where I worked for 30 years. I am so blessed with friends and relatives visiting and bringing food to give my wife a break. Today's trip tired me out and let me know just how far I have to go to a full recovery. Taking baby steps and going slow. Each time my wife leaves the house I sneak out to the shop and organize all the projects I have on hold and clean the shop a little bit. My hands have never been this clean in 60 years! On a bus forum all us old guys with back problems were thinking we should preach to all the young racers to take care of their backs so when they get old and get their first bus they will still have some pain free years to enjoy their bus hobby.

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther

Last edited by Friday1; 11-24-2018 at 10:34 PM. Reason: info
Old 11-24-2018

Get well soon, Rick - from a fellow back pain sufferer and a member of the bad shoulder club as well. We do what we can!
chip@collectorsco.com / 804-357-4926
2004 M380 99k/22xx hours
Former: 90 SP36, 92 WB40, 85 FC35SB & others
Old 11-24-2018
Forum owner

dangitman!
Thats really not good.
Hang in there.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-24-2018

Vancomycin is nasty stuff. It is so strong, that it has a tendency to corrode veins. It does work on MRSA as that's what knocked it out of my system. The ID docs had gone through so many IV sites on me, that then failed, that a PICC line was the next best option for me. Hang in there my friend; it really is true: what doesn't kill us truly makes us stronger!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Morristown, Tennessee

FMCA #F27720
Old 11-24-2018

Had two, bottom 4 fused with rods in 1980 then a laminectomy 6 years ago. Took a couple years to get sort of normal both times, guess I was lucky, didn't get any of what you did. Sounds like they didn't wash to tools first.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 11-24-2018

Rick,

Sent you a PM. Heal fast

Jon
260-414-3253
Jonadair68@yahoo.com
Old 11-24-2018
RV Appraiser

Ouch! Keep those hands clean.
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 11-24-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by catshreds View Post
Vancomycin is nasty stuff. It is so strong, that it has a tendency to corrode veins. It does work on MRSA as that's what knocked it out of my system. The ID docs had gone through so many IV sites on me, that then failed, that a PICC line was the next best option for me. Hang in there my friend; it really is true: what doesn't kill us truly makes us stronger!
The room where they did the PICC line was cool. All kinds of X-ray cameras on linear actuators. I don't know how they put that PICC down the vein but they did. Yeah the nurse said Vacmycin is on of the "Big Guns" when they are not sure what is growing inside. It has to be infused slowly or you get Red Man's Syndrome of severe flushing and you feel like you skin is crawling over your bones and muscles. Only happened once when the nurse infused me too fast. Major creepy feeling! Infusion is not rocket science but you have to be careful and sanitary and pay attention. Can't wait for it to be over on 12/12. Rick in Ohio

1980 FC35, 1961 PD4106 GMC SN:326 Charter member of the Two Bus Club for now
I am in Toledo, Ohio
Rick Gunther
Old 11-24-2018
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear you've been going through so much pain but glad to hear you're getting better!
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 11-25-2018

I just had my 3rd back surgery 2 weeks ago. A double Laminectomy and Disectomy. I really do feel your pain! I am lucky with no infection! I cut the Opioids out probably too early but a Margarita is taking the night pain out . My best to you! It is not fun! MRSA is very tough to deal with.I still use lots of alcohol (mostly external!!)
porschenein59@gorge.net

"There comes a time in a mans life where he must take the bull by the tail,, and face the situation."