Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 06-20-2019

Default Pyrometer question

For the dash pyrometer for the exhaust, does this literally have liquid tube that runs all the way back to the exhaust (dash to the engine exhaust tube)? Or does it terminate somewhere with a thermistor or temp sensor and then electrically run to the dash?

mark kitchens
Athens, Tx
1995 WB42
C: 214 477 3757
markkitch@aol.com
Old 06-20-2019

It is a thermocouple that is in the exhaust pipe. The thermocouple generates an electric current that is sent to the gauge. Thermocouples do wear out. I bought a replacement at a heavy duty truck place, it is a common part.
96wb42
Mid Door
Old 06-20-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by markkitch View Post
For the dash pyrometer for the exhaust, does this literally have liquid tube that runs all the way back to the exhaust (dash to the engine exhaust tube)? Or does it terminate somewhere with a thermistor or temp sensor and then electrically run to the dash?

As Peter stated, it is a part containing the thermocouple at the end of a ss wrapped cable approx. 18 inch long. Soak the exhaust pipe nut with good rust preventative product before trying to loosen. Very available part.
San Marcos, CA

Old 06-21-2019

Mark when I replaced my exhaust system I also replaced the thermocouple thinking it would fix my not working exhaust gas temperature gage. My bus had a VDO gage and I have seen other '96 busses with the same, so I believe it to be original. I replaced the old thermocouple with a new VDO thermocouple and still no working EGT gage. Next I replaced the gage and presto now it works! VDO states the replacement gage requires a specific sender (thermocouple) and that turned out to be absolutely correct. I can tell you this, given the difficulty in replacing the thermocouple due to its location, you won't want to do it twice.

VDO sender P/N 323-892
VDO gage P/N 310-151

https://www.vdo-gauges.com/instrumen...ender-12v.html

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 06-21-2019

Quote:
Rereading your original post I see none of us actually answered your question completely. There is no tube, only two wires connected by a bolted splice at the temp sender wire ends that run up to the dash and terminates at the gage. The temp sender is screwed midway into the back of 180 degree exhaust elbow off the turbo.

If you go the same route I did with VDO parts, the new gage has four terminations requiring an additional hot and a ground the original did not.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 06-21-2019

Hi Guys,

Thanks this helps a lot. I soaked the thermocouple for two days, it was heat rusted in place. I finally cut it out an angle grinder. Yes, the location is a challenge. All I could see was the the stainless cover going forward and into the frame last night, I thought surely that does not continue all the way to the dash. I blame the heat (it was hot/humid here yesterday).

I will follow up with another post next week with pictures, parts information and recommended vendors. I pulled my CAC (had a leak) to get repaired, decided to go ahead and rebuild my radiator since it was right there (it was original). Then decided to go ahead and rebuild the exhaust from the turbo to the bottom of the stack (all stainless) it was on the verge of rusting through. Then decided since I am right there, I will go ahead and replace the engine sensors since I can just reach out and touch them. Parts started arriving yesterday, last of them arrive on Monday. I think I can finish this up by next Wednesday. Departing to Colorado and maybe farther north on Friday.

Thanks!!!

mark kitchens
Athens, Tx
1995 WB42
C: 214 477 3757
markkitch@aol.com