Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 08-26-2019

Default M380 Replacing small driver side slide window

Somehow the small driver side slide window on my M380 got shattered; only on the outside pane. After contacting several RV glass places I heard back from Jeff Kemp of Peninsula Glass Co. Motion Windows in Vancouver, WA Ph. 360.944.4446 who told me they do not replace glass only ship a new window and they are the original manufacturer of this window. Price $681 plus shipping tax etc total $821. I'm ready to go for it, but am wondering about how to remove the old and install the new once it comes. Here's what Jeff emailed me on this and I'm asking if any of you have some experience in doing same:

I can’t address the installation because Blue Bird obviously handled that on their end. I do not know what type of sealant they used but I have heard horror stories about the difficulties of removal. You may want to locate a reputable RV repair facility with some experience with windows if you require assistance. We can drop ship to any shop you would like.

Any advice will as always be appreciated. See photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3275.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	63739   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3276.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	194.5 KB
ID:	63740  
Old 08-26-2019
Forum owner

If your handy at all you can fix the window for a lot less money.
I removed both front windows on my coach and replace all of the glass last spring.
My local glass place could get the double pane glass for pretty cheap.
I decided to use laminated glass,that way i will not have moisture in my windows every again.
I replaced all the glass in both side windows and we did jim brookshires as well.
I can see again!
Getting them out was not that big of a deal,i have one good arm and Jims 75 years old!
Mark Bragdon did help out,so we did have 3 workers.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-26-2019

Thanks Randy, It makes sense that the glass is replaceable. I did call my local glass place and of course they told me they do not do RV or auto glass, but I will call the owner and see what I can do...I would go for the laminated too even though I've never had a moisture problem. Did you have to remove the plastic shim that's under the window to get it out and if so how did you accomplish that?
Old 08-26-2019
Forum owner

we took the entire window out of the bus,thats the way you have to do it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-26-2019

Thanks...bigger job than I thought.
Old 08-26-2019
Forum owner

The cross bar in the pics has screws on each end,they have to come out.
But first,there a connector with screws that holds the outside frame together,they come out and you twist the frame to get the main glass out,then the crossbar and then the bottom glass.
Finding someone to do it will be tough.
if you buy a new window,save the old one,somebody may want it.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 08-26-2019

Thanks Randy, this is helpful. I just talked to an RV glass guy not too too far from me that says if I will do laminated he can do the job while I wait; or at least in one day though he is busy. I'm sending him the measurements for an estimate and will let you know what happens.
Old 09-05-2019

Randy, Thanks again for your suggestion about a local auto glass shop. I drove the Coach over to one about 40 or so miles from me and he had no problem getting the small sliding window out without having to remove or disassemble the whole window frame which I think you would have to do to replace one of the fixed panes. He replaced the window with a laminated glass one and charged me $115; much better than the nearly $1K to buy and install the entire window. By removing the spacers (my terminology) on the top and bottom of the sliding window it just lifted out and he had to put in rubber spacers to make up for the difference in width and the same with gluing the locking handle. Thanks again and thanks again to WOG!
Old 09-05-2019
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Randy, Thanks again for your suggestion about a local auto glass shop. I drove the Coach over to one about 40 or so miles from me and he had no problem getting the small sliding window out without having to remove or disassemble the whole window frame which I think you would have to do to replace one of the fixed panes. He replaced the window with a laminated glass one and charged me $115; much better than the nearly $1K to buy and install the entire window. By removing the spacers (my terminology) on the top and bottom of the sliding window it just lifted out and he had to put in rubber spacers to make up for the difference in width and the same with gluing the locking handle. Thanks again and thanks again to WOG!

Good deal!
More money for fuel!
Its good to know the small windows will come out in place,i have not worked on that style window.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com