Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-14-2010

Default Rear Air Bags

Good morning Forum Friends!

Completed our longest, and hopefully most demanding trip this morning. Seven adults, one baby and four dogs. Left Tampa at 0500 Thursday and arrived in Arkadelphia, AR at 02:30. 1100 miles in @21 hours. I'm pooped!

The only problem I had is with the air bags. When I stopped in Nashville for fuel and shut off the engine, I noticed that the bags didn't deflate as usual. Now I am a believer in miracles and would like to have thought that all the leaks were healed. BUT the realist in me said their must be a problem. The air guages showed that air had definitely leaked but the rear air bags actually appeared to be over-inflated. The ride was stiff and the rougher highways created some serious porpoising.

My first thought is the rear ride-height control valve may have a problem. Am I on the right track?
Old 05-14-2010

Yes Sir. You are thinking right. Be extremely careful if you get under working on leveling valves. If you move that thing wrong you could look like those bugs on your windshield!
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-14-2010
Administrator

Questions bring more questions.

The dash air gages read the brake tanks, not the tank used for suspension.
there are two ride height valves in the rear, I doubt that both are defective at the same time. Holding suspension air longer is a good thing.
If the coach sat for a while it is possible that O rings and seals are sealing better after usage. no answers here just more questions.
Old 05-14-2010

Darren,

Did you dump the suspension when you fueled? The switches/valves/relays do stick on occasion and can sometimes be freed by flipping the dump switch back and forth several times. Make sure the air is all the way up (fully pressurized in the tanks).

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-14-2010

Thank you all. Here's this morning's update. Started the coach and everything aired up fine. Blocked (precariously) the rear frame and slid under her. I was nervous as a Congressman in church and just looked--didn't touch.

The control valves were intact and nothing looks to have moved. Once I noticed a valve on each side, I thought the same as Bill--unlikely both go at same time. I measured the height from top of frame rail to concrete and looks good.

When I shut her off, the front bags bled out but the rear are holding longer. They did bleed out overnight, though. Would be nice if it is simply a matter of working better. But sure seemed to have a "rockin" ride! Could have been the roads and something to do with the increased weight on board (fuel, bags, animals, dogs, water, etc) causing the bags to carry more air anyway.

I don't see why it won't get me back to Florida, though. Leaving Sunday a.m. for another marathon journey home.
Old 05-14-2010

That end of I40 and I30 can really get you bouncing, that's for sure. As long as it's airing up, drive her home! Safe travels!

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 05-14-2010
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenayres View Post
Good morning Forum Friends!

Completed our longest, and hopefully most demanding trip this morning. Seven adults, one baby and four dogs. Left Tampa at 0500 Thursday and arrived in Arkadelphia, AR at 02:30. 1100 miles in @21 hours. I'm pooped!

The only problem I had is with the air bags. When I stopped in Nashville for fuel and shut off the engine, I noticed that the bags didn't deflate as usual. Now I am a believer in miracles and would like to have thought that all the leaks were healed. BUT the realist in me said their must be a problem. The air guages showed that air had definitely leaked but the rear air bags actually appeared to be over-inflated. The ride was stiff and the rougher highways created some serious porpoising.

My first thought is the rear ride-height control valve may have a problem. Am I on the right track?

Darren,

It may be time to check the shocks on your 'Bird if you haven't done so already. The fronts if they are KONI's should be adjustable, check out;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > KONI Rebound Adjustment Procedure

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 05-14-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

why did you go to nashville if you were in tampa

cut up at moblie and miss the bad stuff

sounds like you got a dump valve sticking or ppv......
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 05-14-2010
Forum owner

the bags will always carry the same air pressure,even with a heavy load of friends and beer.
when your heavy you get more volume of air,but the pressure is regulated by a PPV.set at 60 PSI.
if the PPV goes bad you may get more pressure,resulting in a stiffer ride.
Most times they just leak,and don't over pressure.

That brings up the subject of changing air pressure to change the ride,in another thread.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 05-17-2010

Thank you all for your help and encouragement! We're home and simply amazed with the Bird--two 1100 mile days and she did great!

The road back to Chattanooga was just as bumpy but in the daylight I was able to anticipate it and smooth it out a bit. Through Georgia and Florida, it was a great ride. I will be checking the shocks and the ppv. I also discovered that one of the boys, when checking tire pressures, thought the tags were low and filled them to 105 pounds. I'll be lowering that today.

Woody, there are certainly shorter and quicker routes. This time, we met my son and his family from Maryland, in Chattanooga. I pulled the tow dolly and we loaded their little Chevy Aveo onto it for the trip to Arkadelphia then back to Chattanooga where we unloaded and sent them back to Aberdeen.

I would like to have checked the fuel mileage but just couldn't talk myself into topping off the tank.

I've spent the past few weeks worth of spare time to prepare for this trip. So the Bird will sit for a bit while I catch up on other chores. Then some additional interior work and a little mechanical fine tuning.

I'm not sure when we'll get to use her next. When ever it is, I'm confident in how she'll perform.