Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Good, Bad, and Ugly > Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics

Service Centers & Mobile Mechanics Good Places To Stop For Repairs And Maintenance, Mobile Mechanics, Or Bad Places To Avoid Too -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Please add the names of facilities that you can recommend for service and repairs for a 'Bird, or those places to avoid for the same things. Be sure to give as much information as you can....... NAME OF BUSINESS..... BUSINESS LOCATION..... BUSINESS PHONE NUMBER..... BUSINESS CONTACT PERSON..... YEAR/ MODEL/ENGINE/TRANS OF 'BIRD WORKED ON..... WHAT ARE THEIR HOURLY REPAIR RATES..... SERVICE WAS GOOD, OR BAD..... WHAT KIND OF SERVICE, OR REPAIR WAS DONE..... REASON YOU RECOMMEND, OR AVOID DOING BUSINESS WITH THEM..... YOUR NAME..... Here is a tip about how to post your record and comments. First copy the topics above and then open a "New Thread" with the NAME OF THE BUSINESS and/or the TOWN WHERE THE BUSINESS IS LOCATED, then paste what you just copied there and then fill in the information.

Site Search:

Old 08-13-2010

Default Blue Bird Service in Minneapolis/St. Paul

I recently bought a '93 Wanderlodge 40' WB. I live in the Twin Cities area and need to find a competent Blue Bird service facility. I've made a few calls and service centers claim to know there way around Birds but I have doubts. Can anyone give me a recommendation? Also, this is my first post and I hope experienced folks will excuse any posting mistakes........

Will Volk
1993 40 WLWB
Prescott, WI
612-237-3042
Old 08-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Volk View Post
I recently bought a '93 Wanderlodge 40' WB. I live in the Twin Cities area and need to find a competent Blue Bird service facility. I've made a few calls and service centers claim to know there way around Birds but I have doubts. Can anyone give me a recommendation? Also, this is my first post and I hope experienced folks will excuse any posting mistakes........

Will Volk
1993 40 WLWB
Prescott, WI
612-237-3042
Will,
Welcome to the WOG. Good help here for sure. Could you elaborate on your needs. Will help others understand. Assuming you are having trouble, if it's the chassis, then a local big rig shop can help.
Anaheim Hills, Calif.
Do Not Send PM (Private Messages) Please
curtsprenger@gmail.com
Old 08-13-2010

[QUOTE=Will Volk;68916]I recently bought a '93 Wanderlodge 40' WB. I live in the Twin Cities area and need to find a competent Blue Bird service facility. I've made a few calls and service centers claim to know there way around Birds but I have doubts. Can anyone give me a recommendation? Also, this is my first post and I hope experienced folks will excuse any posting mistakes........

Will Volk
1993 40 WLWB
Prescott, WI
612-237-3042[/QUOT

Will, The only mistake I see you made was waiting so long to post. Welcome!

Spent a week in your fair city last summer and I have the Mall of Americas Cap to prove it.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-14-2010

Curt,
I drove the coach from Holland, MI to the Twin Cities and had a variety of issues including a major fluid leak apparently from the HWH leveling system (appeared to be dexron consistency and color) but the local shop claims they can't find any leaks in that system or elsewhere. My guess is I left two-three quarts behind in the rest stop and the obvious question is if not the jacks then what else? It is my understanding that HWH is a closed system so no overflow possibility. Also had generator problems, the steering linkage has, in my opinion, too much play and air pressure readings at steady RPM rise and fall between about 90 and 120 psi. Right now the coach is at Brambillas near Minneapolis. They say they work on Blue Birds but they also told me they have never replaced a Power Tech generator (and they say it needs replacing). And there are some other more minor issues.
612-237-3042
Old 08-14-2010

[QUOTE=Rick;68919]
Quote:

Will Volk
1993 40 WLWB
Prescott, WI
612-237-3042[/QUOT

Will, The only mistake I see you made was waiting so long to post. Welcome!

Spent a week in your fair city last summer and I have the Mall of Americas Cap to prove it.
Yes Rick, MOA is a big draw. As you probably found, if you go at the right time of day it's actually possible to get in and out in a reasonable amount of time.
612-237-3042
Old 08-14-2010

Wil, Where is the pool of Dextron under the Bus? That location will help us figure the possible leaks. Could be the HWH or perhaps Power steering fluid?

I don't know why the complete Power Tech would need to be replaced. Was the bus under water or in a fire? You may need to make a trip to a Power Tech Service Center. One of our Members recently had his unit rebuilt in one day at a Power Tech Service Center in Florida. Do a search on this forum for that repair. What have they told you is wrong?

It is normal for the air system to cycle. The period of time between the compressor cutting in and out depends on how many leaks the air system has and how often you use the brakes.

I would not get too excited about the steering. You did buy a WANDER LODGE. It takes a bit of time to get use to sitting in front of the steer tires. Biggest help is learning to relax. Try driving with one had on the wheel with the other ready if needed.

Hope some of the experts come along to help.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 08-14-2010

Quote:
...and air pressure readings at steady RPM rise and fall between about 90 and 120 psi...
Does this happen rapidly, or slowly? Because there is no way your tank can hold steady pressure if you are hitting the brakes for example, or going over bumps, you will lose some pressure and the tank will need to rebuild it. Mine normally stays around 110-120 (main tank) but after a lot of braking or going over bumpy roads, it may go down briefly to 90-100 but then build back up again. Rapid fluctuations doesn't sound right, but gradual ones sound ok to me.

How handy are you? You may want to pick it back up and post each issue separately here and start going through it yourself. Lots of these shops just play guessing games, unless they really know these creatures. This group can solve pretty much anything given enough time and information!
VB 1570
Old 08-14-2010

Hi Will I bought my coach in Webster 30 miles south of St. Paul. The person i bought it from had is serviced at ABC-companies.com. They are located in Faribault
Old 08-14-2010

Rick, mine is a mid-entry and the leak came from the area immediately behind the hydraulic step. There is a small access door under the second step that covers the HWH fluid reservoir access and dip stick and that fluid level was in fact low but it makes no sense that any leak would be "self-healing". I checked the power-steering and that unit uses 10-30w motor oil and the Allison transmission fluid level seems OK.
612-237-3042
Old 08-14-2010

Marcus, I am relatively handy and really rather do routine maintenance myself. Trouble is that the coach documentation doesn't give me a sense of confidence that I know what I'm working on.

The pressure fluctuation wasn't very rapid but I was concerned when it was drifting downward. At what reading do the brakes lock?

Your advice to have them button things up and deal with these issues one-by-one on the forum feels good to me.

But i have OK'd the generator replacement. They have begun tearing that down and I think i'm stuck there.
612-237-3042