Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > 'Bird Projects & Modifications

'Bird Projects & Modifications Share with us that latest project or modification that you have done to your 'Bird right here.

Site Search:

Old 11-14-2010
ANOTHER REDNECK

the round little 1 folded down in the shop
Just a Hobby Shop now-Bird Repairs upon Appt and my Schedule -USAR Retired
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571

Old 11-21-2010

I also used the Samsung 32" LCD TV (great picture), but I returned the $175 mount that I had ordered and just mounted the TV on a piece of plywood painted black and attached to a header across the top of the opening using a piano hinge from Home Depot. I have not yet added shelves behind the TV but it's a great place to store paper towels and other lightweight items, and velcro keeps the TV from flopping around while underway.

I ran the sound through a new Kenwood in-dash stereo that has an AUX input in the rear, and also ran an HDMI cable from a wall outlet next to my desk/dinette up to the TV so I can put anything that's on my laptop screen up on the TV also. Running the TV sound through the existing stereo means I can actually hear the TV when I am sitting mid-coach without blasting the people out in front of me.

The Samsung Blue-ray player that sits above the driver gets it's input from the TV remote and I have upgraded the DirecTV receiver in the picture to a newer model that has an RF remote. That way I can control the DVD player and the DirecTV receiver with the cabinet doors closed. The DirecTV signal is routed to the back of the coach using the existing video switch box, and the RF remote works all the way in the back bedroom so I can watch my satellite TV back there without having to run any new cables to the back.

TV was about $700 from Amazon, the Kenwood receiver/stereo was around $200, and the mounting setup was $10. Great setup for less than a grand, installed. The Samsung 32" fits perfectly in this run of coaches ('91 thru '94?) with a quarter inch between the cabinet doors on each side.
(Previously Pair of Jacks)
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-21-2010

Looks great Jim!!! Excellent post. I just bought some Rosewill swiveling HDMI cables from NewEgg.com on extreme sale for about $4.00 each. That way the cable heads straight back into the old TV cavity. I have not received them yet but I think they will work well.

Thanks for posting your install of your RV upgrade. This is the kind of stuff I enjoy the most here.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 11-21-2010

I agree, great looking setup. Simple and effective.

Mike Shaw
98 LX
Northern Virginia

Old 11-23-2010

Jerry--you got a heck of a deal on those cables. I went to order one from Newegg and the price is now 12.99 for 6' ones with swivel ends. Still a good deal though. I'm not sure what length you ordered but I didn't take into account needing some extra for the TV to swivel out of the way when I want to access the area behind it, so I am replacing my laptop HDMI cable that got stolen for the TV upgrade.

The only other thing I would add would be to recommend that anyone planning to add a DVD/Blue-ray player should get one that is matched to the TV. My Samsung one "talks" to the TV so my TV remote can control it without having to open the cabinet doors in front of the DVD player. Plus it eliminates one extra remote control--verrrry important the older I get.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-23-2010

Jim, NewEgg is having a sale for a day or so on Rosewill swiveling 10' long HDMI's for about $15 if you need the extra length.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 11-23-2010

Thanks! I'll check it out.
Saint Petersburg, FL
Old 11-26-2010

Jim, I received the swiveling HDMI cables and they did not do much for me. The plug in spot on the TV for the HDMI's is so far to the side that it still hits the very outer part of the opening that the old TV occupied. I am thinking about trying HDMI plugs that turn 90 degrees to the side rather than straight out towards the back of the TV. Probably will only be able to use 2 HDMI plug ins with it that way.

One more thing about this particular TV. The picture is absolutely amazing. Even with non HD programs, the picture is so clear that is looks real at times. It is possible for some to think that the picture is too good, believe it or not. As I mentioned before, film looks like very sharp video tape which is not what some people want when watching films.
1992 Ford F250 4x4 Toad
Old 11-27-2010

Default Friends don't let 'friends' watch SD on a HD TV...

Anybody concerned about film looking more "film-like" then that's what plasma HDTVs are for. LCD is much better for HD television shows and video games.

Once you go HD (and can actually tell the difference) you never go back. Had a Uncle that swore it didn't really matter then I showed him some programs in REAL HD last Thanksgiving and in January he upgraded to a DirecTV HD unit. We visited in February and he said he should've upgraded MUCH sooner. He'd been living with a 50" unit and watching SD for over a year!

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)
Old 11-27-2010
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by techson View Post
I wanted to add a sub and figured I'd have to have an amp. I only have 4 speakers but they're 2 way kenwoods and sound pretty good. Still lokking for dead space to put a sub in, I'm thinking the table between the bucket chairs.
You should touch bases with Fred Bellows, the 90SP36 guy that put in the projector screen in his bus. He owns Subsolutions and has several very small sub woofers that work well in small places, his companies forte.

You can contact him through - www.subsolutions.com

He'll be at Quartzsite again this year and I'm sure he'd bring some of his stock if anyone is interested. Nope.. I don't get a commission.

Aside from being friends for 40 years he has a great product that really performs but in a very small package. Being a bus owner and helping me with my conversions over the years he knows what we need.

Here's some pics of out of Bus Conversion Magazine years ago when I wrote up an article for them. On my current 78FC35 we hid one in an over heard compartment and another on behind my driver's seat. I wanted two as I LOVE bass!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3woofers.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	7432   Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of tsss-tscs.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	24.7 KB
ID:	7433  
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257