Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:
Closed Thread

Old 04-08-2008
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

Default THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STUD OR HUB PILOTED WHEELS.pdf

THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STUD OR HUB PILOTED WHEELS.pdf
Attached Files
File Type: pdf THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STUD OR HUB PILOTED WHEELS.pdf (157.5 KB, 2649 views)
Old 12-09-2011
Slow Learner

Default Stud Piloted vs. Hub Piloted

Need a little Wanderlodge 101 education: the photo below is of one tag axle lug nut. Based on my readings, I believe it to be a stud-piloted wheel. The nut has no integral washer, the nut and the stud appear to be labelled "right" and the wheel has an "indent" or "chamfer" where the nut actually seats. Therefore, stud piloted. Am I right or wrong?

Also, the above photo is my tag axle wheel. Below is my drive axle wheel. The studs are quite different. Just a different type of wheel stud? Or different since it is mounted on the dual wheel drive axle?

Thanks,

Mike
2007 Coachmen Mirada 300QB
Old 12-09-2011

They are both Budd(stud type), The drag axle does not have an inner spool since it has a single wheel mounted on it just like your steer axle. Hub piloted did not come on the market until the late 80's early 90's. Hub piloted will take a 33mm socket. Stud type will normally be 1 1/2" with a 13/16" inner square.
"Short Bus"
Old 12-09-2011
Gardner

On the dual tires that square ended stud is actually the nut for the inner wheel. There are studs on the hub, the inner wheel fits over them and the outer stud/nut (it is hollow, threaded on the inside and outside) is tightened up using the square head. Then the outer wheel is mounted and the outer nuts thread onto the outer stud/nut. The outer stud/nuts are prone to break if over tightened or repeatedly removed and re-installed. I have a special tool to remove them. Here is a pic of me using the tool It hammers over the broken end and allows it to be unscrewed, hopefully.

It's hard to see in the pic but the inner end of the outer stud is tapered to fit the wheel hole and hold it in place.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	inner-stud-1 (512 x 384).jpg
Views:	2024
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	13688   Click image for larger version

Name:	innet-stud-2 (512 x 384).jpg
Views:	2308
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	13689  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 12-09-2011
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

If you haven't already read these threads take the time to do so;

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > ALCOA Wheels Service Manual

Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions > THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN STUD OR HUB PILOTED WHEELS.pdf

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Closed Thread