Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Engine

Engine Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's engine.

Site Search:

Old 09-18-2012

a few questions here.

the first is did the engine rebuild get completed and how did it turn out? did you find anything else out?

i have both a 90 newell with a ddec 8v92 and a 2002 newell with ddec4 series 60. i have alot of experience running the silverleaf vmspc on both of them.

i would not go anywhere without it.

i basically use the vmspc as my dash. the analog gauges in general are very inaccurate. i think you would be surprised how bad they are.

on the 8v92, there are separate eng temp senders for the ddec and the dash gauge. the ddec one is under the waterpump on the drivers side. the dash gauge one is on the passenger side of the engine on the front.

so they are looking at temps in different places.

on my 90 i had a cracked head so after i had it redone, i ran wires from front to rear and put in a cyberdyne digital temp gauge and a switch. i added an additional temp sender in a plugged port below the water pump and replace the other dash one. then i hooked them up to the front new digital gauge and can switch between banks on the 8v92 to monitor temp.

in addition, i always run the silverleaf vmspc to check as well.

i did have to "tune" the new senders using a resistive network. (hey i am a geek).

it works great.

i know it is a pain getting a place to put a laptop to use the silverleaf. but it is worth it.

the ddec2 has alot of info on it including speed, rpm, cruise status, etc. it doesnt have tranny info.

the ddec4 has everything you could want.

tom
www.NewellGurus.com
Old 09-18-2012

btw, i have a REAL ddec 1/2 engine scanner that works great. it has the 12 pin rectangular plug. it gives you a ton of information, both real time and stored. you can adjust lots of things (i was never brave enough to) and for instance, see the engine hours when any fault occurred etc.

so if any of you are ever in the mesa, az area and want to stop by and talk bluebirds and newells and borrow the scanner, come on by!

tom and darlene in mesa az
www.NewellGurus.com
Old 09-18-2012
Resident Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
With the coolant sensor being of small diameter, I wonder if it could be replaced without draining the system using the old;

loosen/wrap with rag/remove sensor/stick thumb in/screw in new sensor/wipe face/mop floor

routine?
Yes, add "wash t-shirt" to the list!!
Argyle, Texas
940-300-5257

FMCA #72567, WL #1986, Vintage Birds # 345,
IBA #11205
Old 10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Davis View Post
With the coolant sensor being of small diameter, I wonder if it could be replaced without draining the system using the old;
loosen/wrap with rag/remove sensor/stick thumb in/screw in new sensor/wipe face/mop floor routine?
Rick, and others- Given the age of our engine and sensors, both Steve Pappas and I felt that the old Engine Alarmstat AND the coolant sensor needed to be replaced. We found the parts at Ross Air Works in NJ. They ship all over the country and usually had the parts in stock. http://www.rossairworks.com

We replaced the low coolant sensors, but noticed that BB had originally installed 220 degress Alarmstats on the engines. IMHO, when you get to 220, it's too late to look for a place to pull over or shut down the engine. Our 6V92 and 8V92 models never run hotter than 195. If we get to 205, there is definitely something wrong. For that reason, we replaced the original Alarmstat with a new one that will set off the engine alarm at 205 degrees. The sensor is available from Ross Air Works and probably can be ordered from any parts house. It is made by Medallion Instrumentation and the part number is 1002-05511-33.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-31-2012

Thanks Shane for the part # I need to change mine fan stays on hi speed engine run's to gold.

Last edited by bloomas; 10-31-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-31-2012

Just wondering, does anyone know the max coolant temp before a problem on the 3208 N/A?
Old 10-31-2012

Shane I was reading in the 8V92 manual that the optimum engine oil temp is between 215 and 235 degrees. My coach likes to run between 225 and 230 degrees. It's a little on the high side I feel, but checking around with most of the other guys, they are running about the same. I also installed an alarmstat fan turn on set to 190 degrees,(thumb in hole) so I find that it keeps the oil temp in that range even on the bad hills.
Take care Butch
Old 10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by papadbh View Post
Just wondering, does anyone know the max coolant temp before a problem on the 3208 N/A?
The 3208 shop manual says the 180 thermo begins to open at 180 and is fully open at 197. I would assume that 197 is operating temp and anything above that is overheat.
Old 10-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butch Charpentier View Post
Shane I was reading in the 8V92 manual that the optimum engine oil temp is between 215 and 235 degrees. My coach likes to run between 225 and 230 degrees. It's a little on the high side I feel, but checking around with most of the other guys, they are running about the same.
Butch - the Alarmstat that I'm talking about measures Coolant, not oil temp. My oil also runs around 230. It needs to be that hot to boil off the water/condensation that may accumulate inside the engine cavities. The engine coolant, on the other hand, has to be much lower than 215-235 on the 92 series engines.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-31-2012

Thanks Ted, I keep a close watch on my guages and my 3208 seems to run between 175- 180. It amazes me how cool these cats run!