Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-05-2012

Default Dead Battery, aux battery switch

Hi,
Having trouble understanding something electrical (go figure). We have a 90SP, went to start it after 4 or 5 weeks plugged into the house the engine cranked over very weak a few times then nothing. The generator started fine. We have two Interstate Workaholic 31P CCA950 as start and 4 Interstate Deep Cycle Marine for coach batteries. I pressed the auxillary battery switch and the bus would'nt crank, turned on the generator and pressed the aux switch and the bus cranked over strong but would'nt start, a few more tries and everything including the generator went down. I put on a charger no good. I took everything out cleaned and tightened terminals and grounds and it still would'nt turn over, I took the batteries to the Interstate store for testing and they all had a full charge and were strong, except that one of the coach batts. was totally dead. I replaced it with new one and the bus started ,I've read up on the auxillary battery switch and everyone seemed to have a three position switch - on, off and manual. Our switch has only two positions, off on the right and the manual on the left that needs to be held down to join both banks. I know a bank of batteries won't be any good if one battery is bad, would the start batteries be affected if the coach bank is down? Or should they work separately and start the bus? I'm wondering if the aux. switch is OK, did some come with two position switches? Any other thoughts why the starts being fully charged would'nt work but when I joined the coach bank even with a dead battery the bus cranked over? I'm just beginning to figure some of this electrical stuff out and have a lot to learn. I could'nt tell with a voltmeter which or even if one battery was bad is there any way to do that other than the tool they test with? We're going to be doing some dry camping for the first time in the next couple weeks and don't want to get stuck. We have road service but I'd like to keep this from happening. I read in one article after I did it not to put a new battery in with a parallel/series hook up of batteries older than six months, anyone know why, should I buy 3 more new ones just so they're all the same. Any other back-ups (battery booster etc.) worth having along to get started in emergency?

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-05-2012

After you bought the new house battery and it started, did you still have to use the aux. switch to get it to turn over ?
The group 31's, if charged, should start the coach.
I think I would start by checking all of the cables and connections on the group 31's all the way to the starter and all grounds to the engine/chassis.
2012 Wrangler Unlimited
Lancaster, Ohio
Old 06-05-2012

hi Jim
maybe a cable end loose needed cleaned?? it sounds like you lost power due to something that could cause everything to quit.. i would check main grounds 1st then cables etc. my coach needs power to battery charger every two days or batteries can discharge if i don't have power to coach i disconnect batteries..i should add check all wires at start relay/solenoid and starter low batteries cause high amperage through this circuit and burn contact and loosen the cables..clean and tighten them if needed
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 06-05-2012

Started right up with one new deep cell coach battery did'nt use aux switch, I took out and cleaned all terminals wires and grounds (did'nt like the looks of the generator ground and replaced it before having the batteries tested.

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-05-2012

Did all the cleaning, I'm wondering if the aux switch is a problem don't know how or why, like I said it is only 2 position switch i've read about. no way to charge the start batteries alone with the chargers (I think thats how it works like I said I'm just learning)also why would replacing one coach battery fix the prob.

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-05-2012

Mike, I did'nt lose all power generator ran and when I hit aux switch then the bus cranked good, until I ran it down.

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-05-2012

Jim,
I had similar problems some time ago. Turned out to be the battery disconnect switch in the engine compartment. It would work OK intermittently. I replaced it and had NO more problems.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 06-05-2012

I have the green knob disconnect and keep them clean too. Don
Did one of your coach batts die and keep the starts from working

I appreciate all the feedback thanks

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-05-2012
Administrator

I think this Sp has a rear start switch, if so it should be checked out.
Old 06-05-2012

Bill I looked everywhere but could'nt find a rear switch, I thought there should be one too do you know where would it be? I thought it would be right of the radiator on the body? also a few other things in the manual are different I don't know if there were some things changed there is no bat monitor as in the manual and the aux switch is different than what I've read about others. According to the manual if I ever need to prime the motor I would need that rear switch per the instructions, unless there is a pump on the motor for that, I hav'nt picked up the mattress yet. I also did'nt swing the radiator out so I guess I did'nt look everywhere could it be there? I'll be doing those two things before we leave. Also any opinions on putting the new battery in with the three older ones?

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36