Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 06-05-2012

hey Shane,
I guess I thought making sure the batteries had 12.5 or up they were OK, I'm realizing keeping them watered and clean isn't all I need to do. This is the first spring for us had the bus disconnected for four months in the barn hooked it up to the batts started right up I figured I'm ready, yea right, I only used a hydrometer and just checked the floats all were at least 75% some 100%, the guy at the Interstae store checked all the cells and said they were OK but the one coach battery was shot and he did'nt know why.
I appreciate you sending the testing link, I knew nothing about it I'll check it all out, I'm learning but I can see there's alot I don't know. When you talk about the large lead lugs is that lead as in leadfoot or lead the charge? I presume lead foot and they are the ones that connect to the terminals but...I've had all the cables terminals etc apart and wire brushed, also when you say internal, would the corrosion be visible on the inside surface of the lug that connects to the terminal? if not any way to locate it? I've read some that you should'nt put a new battery into a bank with older ones, any input? I guess I'm thinking I should buy three other new ones, I read that after I bought the one battery. I know you use 6V i was considering that the next time I replaced batts and was going to talk to you about it,( price and possible longevity were attractive) before this happened. I'd still like to I think if it's safe to keep the old ones (I'm trying to get up to speed with all the charging info, I'm thinking the chargers would overcharge the new one as the three older ones called for more and possibly blow but thats a very uninformed hypothosis) and gamble that I may get another year or two. They were purchased 08/09.

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-06-2012

I'm talking about Lead (as in Pb). I've encountered molded lugs with internal resistance in the past on coaches. I'm not familiar enough with the M380 chassis wiring to know how the various batteries get charged, so there could be other issues that you need to work through. Probably the best thing to do is to check the voltage (with a good Fluke or other multimeter) at each battery with the chargers on. There should be less than .2 volts difference at each battery in the coach with the charger on. More than that would normally indicate a bad connection, relay or charger. Depending on the type of charger you have, voltage around 14.1 or more should be present when the charge cycle is first started.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-06-2012

Jim any one batt can go bad... it happens.... i would have to say i've never seen all batteries just go bad..any thing you read by batt. manufactures will tell you to replace all the battery in that bank..having said that my coach had two out of eight replaced in coach when i got it and three out of three replaced for engine starting this was done at a Detroit shop in GA. they should have replaced all eight but its worked for a year..i'm going to replace all eight this summer..mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 06-06-2012

Thanks Mike, yeah I'm leaning towards replacing the other three coach batts. First I'm going to do the tests suggested by Shane, he put up a link with good info that I
did'nt know about batteries, which I appreciate. I was thinking about switching to 6V the next battery change but I thought that would be a couple years yet.
Not that I would feel comfortable doing that changeover, but learning and beginning to understand a bit over the last couple days, and shelling out for one battery already I'm sure when these new batts are ready for replacement I'll be ready to do it. Over the winter I read quite a bit about maintaining and working on the coach systems, usually did'nt absorb or understand much, but now with the help of the folks here and the fact I can visualize, I'm getting it. Checked the rear ignition switch,
relays, isolator, solenoid etc. in the battery compartments...its making sense, I'll check out the charging stuff next.
I stumbled onto this site while looking at RVs a couple years ago and started following it, soon I had to have one but taking into account what the maintenance and repair
of a bus I could afford might be, I balked. Everytime I went to an RV show or to look at some other bus nothing was OK. Still followed WOG and finally got myself believing I could learn about electricity and do some of the work. I could always keep a car (pre electronic ignition/computer) or motorcycle on the road so with a leap of faith last autumn I jumped in...its one of the best things I've done, great move for us. I'm pretty sure there are others who first saw a Bird while looking for a Winnebago and were immediatly smitten, researched them, looked at things realistically for awhile thought no way then wrote a check, I'm glad I did. Joni said I needed a hobbie.
We're looking forward to our first summer.
Again Thanks to all here.

Jim & Joni Ramsay
York, Pennsylvania
90 SP36
Old 06-06-2012

Find the rear hatch?
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 06-06-2012

If you want to come up to Hershey in a few weeks, I would be happy to test things out with you and learn some new stuff about the SP. I should be around for a few days the week of the 18th. Barry Grim lives just south of York near you and is also a great resource. He does not post on the forum, but has an absolutely perfect SP36 that turns heads whenever he's at a show or rally.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 06-06-2012

Jim if you can take Shane up on his offer he will have you straightened out in no time, he's got the knowledge and you will enjoy his company!!
mike
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 06-06-2012

Rick yup opened it right up, did'nt know it was that easy I took the cover off checked out the switches don't think anything is wrong with that Thanks. Shane sure I would appreciate that if we can get together,
Old 06-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by irmagoo View Post
Jim if you can take Shane up on his offer he will have you straightened out in no time, he's got the knowledge and you will enjoy his company!!
mike

X2
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 06-07-2012

Don't know if this applies here, but I just had to replace all the batteries on my, new to me, SP. I didn't realize the draw on the batteries when everything appears to be turned off. Anyway, I had a couple of good switches installed on the ground of the house and crank banks. After the crank batteries were replaced, engine still didn't want to turn over. Turns out the ground wire that tied the 2 crank batteries together was suspect. This was replaced and life was good. We actually ended up running a new ground to the switch instead of tying the 2 bats together.