Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 02-16-2009

Default REAR STEERABLE AXLE

Hello Everyone,

My brother was real close to pulling the trigger on an 2001 LXI until he went to test drive it and the dealer said he would have to come back after they repaired the rear steerable axle. He received a call Saturday that he could test drive it anytime and that the repair had been completed. He was told that the fix for the axle was to weld it solid so it would not move anymore. Does this sound right? Should I weld my steerable axle?

Les

Les & Kim Walston
Marion Station , MD
2000 LXI 43
Old 02-16-2009
Gardner

I would want to know whose engineering specs were followed. Welding may seem like a workaround for problems, but what assurance do you have that it won't create bigger problems?
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 02-16-2009
Forum owner

what dealer was this?

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-16-2009

While I have read the "fix" for the steerable axle is to weld it solid; I can't believe this is the correct way to fix it. Other coaches have steerable tags, so why can't the BB tag work as it was designed?

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 02-16-2009 at 10:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-16-2009

Default Steerable Axle

I had mine my axle checked when I was at the factory and was told it was working fine. I asked if there were any known problems with the steerable axle and was told that they had a few issues. When I said the dealer I should have added they were not a bluebird dealer. I'm sure there is other members on here with the steerable rear axle and hope they will add there input.

Les

Les & Kim Walston
Marion Station , MD
2000 LXI 43
Old 02-16-2009
Former Bird Owner

On one of the lists, I'd heard that the steerable axle had "problems" on some units and that there was a factory fix that made them non-steerable. However, the was not a recall (that I could find) and not all coaches had problems, so some were "fixed" and others were left as designed.

The advantage of the steerable tag is that it reduces tire wear and may help the coach turn a little tighter. The disadvantage is that it may not track properly, causing excess tire wear and handling problems. So, if it works, great. If not, it's better to revert to a solid axle, if a repair is not practical.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 02-17-2009

Default Rear Steerable Axle

The air bag system on the steerable axle only allows the pressure to be dumped on the axle. The steerable axle will not lift off the ground. The straight axle will lift off the ground for tight turns. If you weld the steerable axle and do not modify the air bag system you will be putting side loads on the wheel and tire in tight turns.
Only when MCI and Prevost stop using steerable tag axles would I consider modifying mine. I consider the streerable axle the best application.
Old 10-11-2010

Default steerable tag axles

Does anyone have the number for the electric valve that controlls the lock up and unlock on the steerable tag for a 2000 LX. Thanks in advance

Jamie Erwin
erwin76@embarqmail.com
254 865 2925
Gatesville, Texas 76528
2000 LXI
Old 10-11-2010

Here's some more info for the mix, which differs with other info I have heard.

Four years ago we stopped by Ft. Valley for a factory tour. There were no coaches under construction, so not much of a tour. However, they had some on the lot they were selling. I asked Ronnie Lamb about the steerable axle issue. He said they were welding all in place because they didn't lock properly due to the design. He said they locked at 35 mph, and if you were on an on ramp going through that speed it would lock off center causing wear problems with the tags.

That sounds weird to me, but that's what I remember of the conversation.
Old 10-12-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameseerwin View Post
Does anyone have the number for the electric valve that controlls the lock up and unlock on the steerable tag for a 2000 LX. Thanks in advance

Jamie Erwin
erwin76@embarqmail.com
254 865 2925
Gatesville, Texas 76528
2000 LXI
Jamie,

I don't have that solenoid valve's number but I may know how you can get it. I am attaching the air suspension diagram which shows the locking valve but the detail (part #'s) for that locking mechanism is on two other diagrams #0010173 and #010181. See attached.

Parliment Coach in Clearwater, FL probably has the build drawings for your coach and if you call and ask them to pull those diagrams, they may be able to give you that part #. Hope this helps.

Chuck
Attached Files
File Type: pdf F125609--Susp1.pdf (184.7 KB, 182 views)