Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-01-2008

I'm pulling a 2001 Suburban that I bought from Tom Seitz. It was already equipped with a Blue Ox set-up and the M&G aux brakes. I don't have a lot of miles towing yet. I averaged 6.9 mpg between Atlanta and Chicago. There is only one big grade just north of Chattanooga. I was full of water and fuel but not much else and I was down to about 43 mph on the northbound climb. It is my impression that the southbound climb is a bit steeper because I was down to about 39 mph. No overheating problems but the weather was cool. Traffic was heavy both ways so I really don't know what I would have done in mph if I were alone on the road (Lots of luck!).
Old 02-01-2008

Oops! Guess I haven't included enough info. I am driving a "91 SP.
Old 02-01-2008
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgibb View Post
I'm pulling a 2001 Suburban that I bought from Tom Seitz. It was already equipped with a Blue Ox set-up and the M&G aux brakes. I don't have a lot of miles towing yet. I averaged 6.9 mpg between Atlanta and Chicago. There is only one big grade just north of Chattanooga. I was full of water and fuel but not much else and I was down to about 43 mph on the northbound climb. It is my impression that the southbound climb is a bit steeper because I was down to about 39 mph. No overheating problems but the weather was cool. Traffic was heavy both ways so I really don't know what I would have done in mph if I were alone on the road (Lots of luck!).
Austin,

That grade is called Monteagle and I doubt if you would have done any better on it by your self, it is a very steep and long grade both ways, but as you said the southeast bound side is a little steeper. I've been over it both ways hundreds of times.

Whenever you make a post on the forum, be sure to look in the Additional options below where you type in your message to be sure that the "Show your signature" box is checked, then the one that you have already prepared in your profile will automatically show up in every post.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-02-2008

Thanks John,
I think I have it straightened out. This post will let me know. Glad also to hear that my impression the southeast bound climb is steeper.
Elgin, Il

Blue bird #2
Old 04-13-2008

Default Toad selection

Where's a good place to find public info about whether a vehicle can be flat towed (and if you need to stop every so often vs just tow it) or whether a vehicle should be dollied/trailered? I think we'd like to find a small to medium SUV in 4WD to toad with. I just don't know where to get the info to help in selecting the right one. I think we'd like a couple of years old, to minimize the depreciation hit.

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support

Last edited by fxdwg; 04-13-2008 at 06:48 PM. Reason: and used vehicle thoughts
Old 04-13-2008
Jay Darst

Thumbs up Towed Info

I use the FMCA website(www.fmca.com) for information about general towed vehicles.

The Jeep lineup seems to be the most common towed.

Take a look at my website, www.HPRCars.com.

We will prepare your vehicle for towing with the base plate and lighting stuff.

The Jeep Wrangler and Grand Cherokee are a great choice.

We may be able to help with the "wannabe" as well. Look at www.HPRCoach.com. Randy Dupree has a good variety of coaches vailable as well.

Good luck to ya!

Jay Darst
85PT40
Jay.Darst@Yahoo.com
Dothan, AL
217-971-0036 cell
Old 04-13-2008

Default Here's the answer!

Here's a link to the MotorHome page for all their guides from 2008 back to 2002, in case anybody's interested:

http://www.motorhomemagazine.com/dinghytowingguide/

don't waste your time with a usa-spec ipod adapter- poor products with poor support
Old 08-30-2008

Default Anyone 4 down tow on a newer VW Beetle

We are the proud second owner of a 79 35' Diesel with all sales documents, manuals, maintenance records. I have a 06 VW Beetle TDI with manual trans that gets about 42 mpg avg that I want to use on day trip excursions from campsites. I am wondering if I could attach it up through the front bumper (cut holes)? I will look over on some VW boards for help as well. Seems overkill to get a double axle for it but I never liked dollies. Also, my Beetle weighs in at 3100 pounds. Would I still need additional break setup? Thanks for any help or pointers. Chad
Old 08-30-2008
Former Bird Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpoore View Post
We are the proud second owner of a 79 35' Diesel with all sales documents, manuals, maintenance records. I have a 06 VW Beetle TDI with manual trans that gets about 42 mpg avg that I want to use on day trip excursions from campsites. I am wondering if I could attach it up through the front bumper (cut holes)? I will look over on some VW boards for help as well. Seems overkill to get a double axle for it but I never liked dollies. Also, my Beetle weighs in at 3100 pounds. Would I still need additional break setup? Thanks for any help or pointers. Chad
Check with RemcoTowing.com and see what you need to do to make this vehicle tow-ready. Most cars with manual transmissions simply need to be put in neutral to tow (check the VW owner's manual). You'll need a "base plate" and a tow bar. Base plates are tow bar brand specific, although there are adaptors that may make one brand base plate work with a different brand tow bar.

I have a Blue Ox tow bar and base plate on my 3200# Toyota Camry. Roadmaster also makes good towbars and there are other brands as well. The base plates often attach to (and my replace) the tie down hooks most cars have for their initial shipping. (My Toyota had two heavy metal hooks below and behind the front bumper -- the base plate installation simply required that I remove the hooks and the pre-drilled holes lined up perfectly. Just installed it with the same bolts. There was some minor trimming of a cardboard-like shroud under the front part of the car, and a couple of holes to drill in a spot behind the center of the grill. All in all, it was no big deal to install the base plate and no major work was done to the car. If I were to remove the base plate, it's unlikely that anyone would notice that it had been there without a very close inspection.

As for braking, yes, you will need supplemental brakes in the toad. In some states (CA, for example) brakes are required for anything over 1500 lbs. Similar requirements apply to other states. I have a version of the SMI system http://www.smibrake.com . It's simple to install (did it myself) and it works with no problem. I've set my system up to only kick in when there's a panic stop -- frankly, the relative weight (3200 lbs vs. 48,000 lbs) does not have much effect on the coach.

Pete Masterson
(former) 95 WBDA 42'
(now) 2011 Roadtrek RS-Adventerous
Ridgefield, WA
aeonix1@me.com
Old 08-30-2008

Wow. Great info. Thanks Pete for the help. I'll check them out and call them. I was thinking it wouldnt be a issue with manual and have been reading on tranny fluid pumps if needed. I was thinking/hoping it was something I could do as well.