Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 03-15-2010
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Steve,

Here is a portion of a reply that I made a while back, My 'Bird is an FC and it had the channel steel and ball frame originally.

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty
Great write up and pictures John!

I believe most if not all earlier FC's had a maximum towing weight of #7500?

I have read other places that have said #10,000 but I have never had that confirmed with a placard?

My 1983 FC with a factory BlueBird hitch and placard says #7500 max gross towing weight with a maximum tongue weight of #750.

I believe that refers to the standard hitch that came on some 'Birds like mine, but I had it beefed up some to handle the additional tongue weight.

If I had to do it over again, I would mount the hitch receiver tube on top of the original hitch beam, to go above the rollers, but I have added a roller to the hitch that has worked quire well.

It was originally owned by Grey Eagle Distributing in St. Louis, MO and used as the Budweiser promotion bus.

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-15-2010

Just as a word of caution on the "original" BB u-channel hitches, the channel tends to crack if subjected to any "significant" load.

When I first got my FC 33, I towed my open race car trailer & car 2 or 3 times (total wt. - approx. 4500lbs) only to discover a crack 75% of the way across the channel. End of factory hitch!! (and I consider myself very lucky)

New Drawtite frame hitch installed, plus plates welded to permanently attach the lower "sub frame" at the rear to the main frame rails.

Never a problem since...

BTW John, yours looks quite different than mine as far as the frame attachment. Sorry, no pictures as the rear of the bus is over a very large mud puddle!!

Last edited by bubbletop; 03-15-2010 at 07:52 PM. Reason: additional comments
Old 03-15-2010

Ryan could you take a picture of yours from behind? Is your "U" channel attached to the lower bar?
Old 03-15-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Yes, it is welded to the lower bar as well as the extra bracket you can see in the picture.

What we guys will do for each other... Climb or in my case roll under a Bird in the dark to take a picture for someone in need

Hope it helps!!

BTW, a picture perfect day here in Clearwater... High of about 68, sunny and a lite breeze... Sorry, had to rub it in
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dcp_3932.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	4406  

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true

Last edited by Turbokitty; 03-15-2010 at 09:19 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-15-2010

That is perfect thanks! I will post picture once I get the work done as to the solution we come up with.
Old 03-16-2010

In Florida you can get a trip permit, which cost $10.00. You make application for it at http://www.fdotmaint.com/PermitNew/home.asp . You will usually fill it out about three times before it is just right right, then they contact you for payment info. I do this each time I pull my race car trailer behind the PT42, which ends up being 77'.
Old 03-16-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbaribeau View Post
Hi Guys,
Has anyone experienced any issues with law enforcement in regards to towing a 28 ft trailer behind a 40 ft BB. I researched on the internet that some states only allow a maximum of 65 ft total length. How strict are they?

During bike week , there was a truck trailer combo. He was over 90 feet long. When I asked about the lengh and law he informed me that being a private coach he has had no issues. I cant speak from experience , but he as there

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 03-16-2010
Forum Moderator / Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBlanke View Post
In Florida you can get a trip permit, which cost $10.00. You make application for it at http://www.fdotmaint.com/PermitNew/home.asp . You will usually fill it out about three times before it is just right right, then they contact you for payment info. I do this each time I pull my race car trailer behind the PT42, which ends up being 77'.
Hi Kenny,

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamflagman View Post
Please add your permanent signature.

You need to add a permanent signature to your user profile, so that it will automatically be added at the end of all of your posts, this way we will know who we are replying to and what year and model of 'Bird or RV that you own, or if you are a Wannabe 'Bird owner, that way you help us, so that we can better help you.

This was one of the things that you were asked to do in the Wanderlodge Owners Group Rules and that you agreed to, when you became a member of this forum;

To find out how to add a permanent signature to your profile please read;

How To Post A New Topic Message Or A Reply To A Topic and Add Your Signature

Why do we want you to have a signature; Wanderlodge Owners Group > Frequently Asked Questions > User Related Issues What is the signature for?

So we are asking you again to please just add a signature in your profile with the requested information;

Your Name

Year & Model of 'Bird or WANNABE

Your Location

You can set your signature by choosing User CP at the upper left side of the forums page and then choose Edits Signature from the Settings & Options, then create your signature and if you want to you can add a signature photo, then scroll to the bottom and click on Preview Signature and if you are satisfied with the results, then scroll back down to the bottom and click on Save Signature.

Another reason to add your location to the signature is that way if you are in need of any help, we can try to direct you to another member close by.

Once you get your signature set up, it will be automatically added to each of your posted messages so that you won't have to remember to do it ever again. You may turn the signature on and off on posts you have already made by editing the post and altering the state of the "Show Signature" option.

Thanks,

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 03-16-2010

Got stopped in Texas, eh John? Egads!

We've been dragging a 26' trailer behind our PT-40 for several years. Florida, Louisiana, Tennessee, and now we are in Texas. We are about 67 ft. LOA. So for no issues but as the man said, it's never an issue until you get stopped.

(and the required Wanderlodge bits: 1982 PT-40, full-timers, currently in the tropical paradise along the Tex/Mex border)
Old 03-16-2010
Timberlake Products Group

Too cool!!

Great place to carry the BB spare.

Do you have a picture with everything loaded?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true