Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 04-12-2010

True, true, true!!!

Garage, Kennel, Storage Shed, Living quarters, Rolling Show Room, Tackle Box, the list is endless.

Versatile, is the key word, it does not care if this week it's a just a Honda, and next week it's 4 Harley's and a golf cart, or the inlaws.

The kids loved camping it. So did we, no loud music, all their stuff in one place and the horse play was their problem, me and mom happy in the coach.

Taking a Friend that snors badly, the trailer is great for that.

Young married children getting frisky no problem, better their than on the sofa.

If size is the problem, well I don't know what to say. Why did you buy a bus?
Old 04-12-2010
Early Member

Red face Aren't you a little too old to be playing with dolly's?

[QUOTE=rselin;52905]

... install a motorcycle lift ... I am worried .... Will this lighten the steering, overload the rear axle, or ruin the ride by sagging the rear suspension too much?

No. hundreds have done this for decades on large coaches. I put one on my SP a few years ago (full install picts below in signature).

Do these connect to the hitch receiver or the frame...?

You must add receivers to the frame. A little involved. (see picts and captions)

...most people think tow dollies are a PITA.....

Personally, I wouldn't mind if the vehicles get a little dirtier on a dolly than an enclosed trailer (you'd still have to wash the trailer!) But the many other possible uses on an enclosed trailer sure beat out a dolly.

The main reasons we travel with a scooter only and no toad is the simplicity, quick employ, ability to back up, and the lack of trailer axles that limit your speed to 55, and sometimes even what roads you can take. If it's raining hard, we probably don't want to go sightseeing that day anyway. We just stay "home"!
"The Wunderlodge"
build blog info
Old 04-12-2010
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyndes View Post
Richard,

I'm looking to do the same thing as you are looking into this summer. We already have a dolly that works fine towing my wife's Saab (the dolly came with the Wanderlodge when we bought it last year). I'm looking at the following as a motorcycle lift to attach to the back of my FC.

http://www.overbiltlifts.com/

You will notice that they sell a dolly that also has room for your bike. Also they are relatively close to me so I could bring the Wanderlodge to them and have them weld the receiver on and attach and set up the lift.

There is another carrier that lifts the bike up even higher, but I'm not sure how high I want it riding on the RV.

http://www.discountramps.com/rv-motorcycle-carrier.htm

Anyone that knows of either of these motorcycle carriers please share your experiences!

I have a Honda ST1100, not as heavy as a Harley, but still not small.

One nice thing about the overbuilt lift is it folds up to reduce the amount of room it takes up when you aren't using it. When we won't need 2 vehicles I think we can just take the bike, shorter vehicle and can back up (backing up our dolly, which has tires that turn, is really a trick).

Thanks for starting this thread!
I have a new in the box Blue Ox bike lift,its the one that has a 24'' platform and goes side to side on your coach,$1500.Everything included.
http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SP1.htm

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 04-13-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy Dupree View Post
I have a new in the box Blue Ox bike lift,its the one that has a 24'' platform and goes side to side on your coach,$1500.Everything included.
http://www.blueox.us/Carriers/SP1.htm
That's a really good price for that lift, it's $3595 at Towing World:
http://www.towingworld.com/Carriers/....htm#sportlift

Decisions, decisions...

I'm starting to get pulled over to the trailer side. Somebody used the word "garage" and the light came on in my head. My car and motorcycle have been garaged (heated, no less) for the past 5-1/2 years; do I want them sitting out in the elements now? It would be nice to have some tool cabinets and a work bench at the front too.

I am going to be full-timing so I pretty much need the car. The bike is "non-essential" but I've had at least one and sometimes two motorcycles for the past 15 years and is a part of my life. Mine is not as big as a Goldwing or Harley but still 474 lbs dry, over 500 lbs with full tank of gas.

I've been looking at a few trailers on kijiji and ebay. 8.5' x 24' seems to be the standard size that I would need. There are plenty available starting at about $4000. Who are some quality manufacturers?

Last edited by rselin; 04-13-2010 at 02:19 AM.
Old 04-13-2010
95 WB 42

Richard
We have an H&H enclosed LOVE IT. Purchased in 2000 has made 8 trips to Sturgis SD from Ga and countless other trips was used as bikehauler/camper prior to purchase of Blue Bird,still used as bike hauler and bedroom for guests.
Points of interest
No rivets--glued seams-++60,000 miles NO problems
All square tube construction--stronger unit
Frame--has truck bed liner coating
All led lights--9 years all still work
Solid as a rock
The bad--its heavy Truck with 7.3 pulls good but knows it's back there
The Bird says WHAT trailer??
Just my input.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell
Old 04-13-2010

For me it would depend on how much time I expected to be on the road. Lots of time, then I would go the enclosed trailer option for all kinds of reasons. I have done it all ways that you have mentioned including a motorcycle lift/4 down combo, I like the trailer the best simply for cavernous storage and having a garage for a bike.
Cape Cod,ma
Old 04-13-2010

I've read that finding a place to put the tow dolly after you've unloaded bike and car is an issue. Couldn't you rig up a bracket on the bike lift to store it vertically on the back of the coach?
Old 04-13-2010

I'm leaning toward the lift also. Most of my trips, until I retire will be to North GA for the weekend with the Harley. I don't need the extra space for these trips and would rather not mess with a trailer.
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920
Old 04-13-2010

No free lunch. I thought I would NEVER want a trailer but as we all know experience is a great teacher. I carried my scooter to "Q" and back and boy was it hogged up. Even with a tarp over it. So???? I would consider a trailer. Speaking of trailers. Aluminum trailers are really nice. Like everything else in life you get what you pay for. Some one one mentioned $4000 for a 8.5 by 24 trailer. That is cheap. I assume that's used? Just looking around it appears to me that new trailers are twice that in steel and maybe three times for an aluminum.

I really don't like complications and a 24 ft trailer does complicate things. If I was to ever be able to full time. I really think a 24 ft trailer with a Smart car and a bike inside would be great. I also like the idea of setting up the trailer for other uses. It would make life easier once you landed. My 36 ft is short on storage as it is and so thinking down the road there are advantages.

May never get to the point that I need all this but it's fun to think on it any way.

I am a neat clean freak and especially about my toys so cleaning DD smoke and oil off the bike is not my idea of "the way to go"

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 04-13-2010

I have been looking on EBay for enclosed trailers. There are lost of new ones at very good prices. The enclosed trailer capital of the world appears to be Georgia. I talked with a couple of manufacturers/ dealers. I am considering a 20' (box), with a V nose (2" free storage) with an OAL of approx 24'.
I to like the thought of having a garage with me.
96wb42
Mid Door