Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 02-03-2017

Thanks

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 02-03-2017

Wow! Thanks Jim!
1986 PT40 8v92
"Sturdy Birdy"
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=352
ce@pinelandplantation.com
Old 02-03-2017
Forum owner

I have not finished yet!
Its been busy here!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Archer Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 02-03-2017
Timberlake Products Group

Only thing missing from that incredible story is an Angela Lansbury connection! My finger tips got sore just reading it. Another great story Jim

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 02-03-2017

Wow Jim..

What a story. I teach CAD to HS students. I have seen much more than I have wanted of students with very dark personalities coming from non-parented homes. Unfortunately I am now seeing a second generation of non-parenting. Not being a pessimist, I am reminded of a line delivered by Fred Thompson in The Hunt For Red October... "This business is going to get dangerous. It's going to get dangerous and we'll be lucky to live through it."

No intention of hijacking this thread... just a parallel reality!

Timothy

(H) 336-66TWO-8333
(M) 336-33NINE-8033
Please email Private Messages
(E) timothy@devane.net

Old 02-03-2017

Default Great story, Jim

I can tell that story has been struggling to get out for a long time. Good job. Very well written. Reminds me of the episodic stories of a long time ago. Saturday mornings at the theater. I am very glad you didn't make me wait that long. Thanks for writing. When can we expect the next adventure?
87 FC SOLD
89 SP SOLD
94 WB SOLD
95 WB 42
2007 Jeep Wrangler "RDTOAD"
207-939-3816
Old 02-03-2017

So, Jim, you say you are not an author????? Lemme tell you buddy, Mickey Spillane got nuthin' on you! Your writing style absolutely keeps your audience riveted!! You definitely have a second career waiting for you!! Thanks for sharing!

95 WLWB 40' SOLD!

"RARA AVIS"

Roscoe, Illinois

FMCA #F27720
Old 02-04-2017
Old Guy

Thanks Jim
I'm in Mexico with terrible internet and had to fight to read your story. The tension was terrific. See
314-378-9882
Old 02-04-2017
ANOTHER REDNECK

awesome Jim should WRITE a book !!!!!!!!!
Pleasanton Tx 78064
Do not use PM... please use
rwoody@fullnet.net
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=254
http://www.ebay.com/usr/woody19571
F133316 BODY NUMBER
Old 02-04-2017

Thanks to all of you, for the kind words. I truly and honestly never considered myself a writer or someone that was capable of putting things down on paper that others might enjoy reading. I have written thousands of pages of case reports, all of which were essentially dry and boring. Nothing more than factual information, put together in a concise, chronological order, for the judicial system to review and decide; “Yes, given the information I just read, I believe there is probable cause to believe this person committed this act, and this officer provided the Who, What, When, Where, and Why, needed to prosecute this case, or to issue a search warrant or arrest warrant. Or all of the above.”

Anyway, Michele seems to think I should continue to write of some of my “escapades”, since some of you also have expressed interest. She has pushed me to do this before, because she told me she always enjoyed listening, to me telling those stories to her. So, you can all blame her for this! I will admit I have been more fortunate than most during my career as a cop. Meaning I have experienced more than most. So for those that are interested I will attempt to give you some idea of my career as a cop, by writing up a “story” of some of my cases, rather than a “case report.” Some of them might be pretty short, that involved something funny and others may be a little longer, requiring details to understand. Then there will be some that I won't be able to write about, or I will have to severely edit, because I don't want to get bit by, I believe Ryan called him the "Napping Bulldog". I’ll try not to bore anyone and if I do, just say so, I’m pretty thick skinned. Of course if your bored you don’t have to read it do you!

I may be doing this bass ackwards, but it may help some understand how the Indiana State Police works. I also, don't want you to think, "Wow, he must have lived in a crime ridden area." Lets face it, a guy from a small community like mine, wouldn't want to live there if all of this crime was going on there, would he? I sure wouldn't. Yes some of it did, but mostly only small petty stuff. We had our "sensational" cases, but only a few in my 30 years. So in the interest of making you aware of who and what I am all about and how I got there, I will give you my background.

Most of you know that I was born in Germany, to German parents, soon after the war. My birth father never lived long enough to see me. My step-father, who was in Germany, with the American occupation forces, met my mother married her in 1952 and brought us to the USA in 1953. I went to grade school, high school, one year of college, and got drafted in 1966.

After getting out of the army in 1968, I had a Captain from the Indiana State Police come to visit me at my parent's home, to ask me if I was interested in a career in law enforcement. I actually had never given it a thought, but found it rather intriguing. So I told him yes, I think I would. He provided an application, which I filled out, and he submitted for me. I worked in a construction job and waited nearly a year and never heard a thing. I asked this Captain if he knew of what was going on and he said the state had not appropriated funding for a school, in 1969. I, being impatient to get on with my life said fine, I will find something else. So I began to look for a career that might provide for my family. So I ended up working in the food service industry for the next 5 years, as a general manager. The company was MCL Cafeterias, out of Indianapolis. I got several promotions and so on, but I paid a high price for those. Seldom got to see my wife and young daughter. I worked a minimum of 60 hrs. a week and sometimes more. Eventually, I came to realize there was more to life than making money, especially, when it affected my family and in particular my ability to see my daughter grow up. I then filled out another application to the state police in 1974. I went through the usual process and was accepted to go to Recruit School, at Indiana University, in that year. I left a job that paid $23,000 a year to a job that paid $10,200 a year. I graduated and was assigned to District #22 Fort Wayne. I moved my family up to a little town of Markle, IN in Huntington, County, located southwest of Fort Wayne. Moving to Markle, really wasn't my idea. In those days, you din't have much choice of where to live. They pretty much spread us out into these communities and Markle was it for me. You were to develop relationships, with your community. You were to be the go to guy if they needed anything law enforcement related. They would call you at your home if they needed you. It's too bad, but that has all changed now. Nothing like that exists anymore. Anyway, Markle turned out to be a great place for my kids, of which I had two, by then. After two years you had an option of transferring to another location if there was an opening. I chose to stay, because the people there were great and welcomed us. So, I worked as a road Trooper for 5 years.

I had a real desire to do criminal work. Working traffic was fine, but it got boring pretty quick. So every time that I was sent to do a preliminary on a burglary, robbery, theft, or anything at all, I requested to be allowed to complete the investigation and not turn it over to a detective. I eventually won favor with the detectives, that worked the area, because they liked my work and I took a load off of them. In those days, not now, things sort of ran on the "good ol' boy network". So one day, in 1980, the F/Sgt in charge of the detectives called me into his office and asked me if I wanted to be a detective. I lit up like a Christmas tree and said, you bet. So, I became a detective. You are assigned to "Primarily" work your home county; however, you were to be available to work anywhere. It seemed like I ended up working a lot in the Fort Wayne, Allen County area. I became good friends with the Detective Lieutenant of the Allen County Sheriff's Department and with the Sheriff. So, every time a major case came up in that area, they would call me. That is where I gained the most experience and learned some of the "tricks of the trade". This was a large area, with several hundred thousand people of all persuasions, providing me with lots of work and lots of experience. I'm sure a couple of those "experiences" will be the subject of one of my "stories". Anyway, in my 30 years on the department, I worked cases in the entire north eastern part of the state, and a few others. I developed great relationships with all the prosecutors, judges, sheriffs, and police departments. So much so, that many would call me when they had a case that was special or maybe challenging. A few prosecutors chose me to investigate cases involving their public officials, including their police. I am responsible for several public officials and police spending time in jails or prison; however, it never seemed to affect my relationship with those departments. Many of those relationships were strengthened by it.

So, having said that, I hope you all understand I did not live in a cesspool. Much of my work was done outside of the area I lived in and my primary work area. This is why I have said, I was fortunate to experience the things I did, which most of the guys I worked with, just didn't get to do, or to do as much of, as I did. It was a great job, a great career, and had I not gotten too old, I would still be doing it. Unfortunately for me, when I was forced into retirement, the mandatory age limit was 55 years old. It is not that way anymore, but in 2002, I didn't have a choice.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN