Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Takin' it Easy > Under The Awning

Under The Awning Here is where you can carry on a conversation, just like............well, like you were sitting under your awning at the campsite.

Site Search:

Old 02-06-2017

I had gotten behind in catching up on WOG posts and just now read this thread. Thanks Jim. A fun and interesting read.
1986 PT36 6V92 "Golden Memories"-Sold
1993 WB40 "freeNeasy"-Sold
Old 02-06-2017
Tired and now Retired!!

Jim,
Just read this story and am very impressed on your writing skills.
I could picture each event in my head and was intrigued all the time.
Please "tell" more 'Stories"!!
GregBryantSr@gmail.com
(904) 612-3878 (Leave msg if I don't know your number)
Where is B-Hemoth?
Map of Service Centers
Map of RV Parks
Old 02-07-2017

I grew up in the small town of Cambridge City, IN., well yes and no. We did live in town for about 5 years, but moved out into the country southeast of town, when I was about 12, but we still lived in the area and I went to the schools in Cambridge. There were two or three other kids, in my school class that lived around the area, we moved to. One of them ended up being my best friend and eventually best man at my wedding. We, as most boys, back in that time period, loved riding our bikes. We rode them everywhere. We rode them many times to go work for the local farmers, bailing hay and straw, and whatever other jobs they needed done. On the way to some of those jobs, about a half mile from my house, we would ride past Jack Bolander’s place. Jack and his family ran Poor Jack’s Amusements. A carnival! Jack was a pretty cool guy. He wasn’t like what you would think a Carnie would look like or be like. He was just an ordinary small town guy, that started this carnival business and it grew and grew. He would go to many of the small towns and even the Indiana State Fair and set up his rides, games, and food wagons. He hired the usual, tattooed, long straggly haired, weird, looking guys and gals to run the amusements. But, Jack was just like your dad or mine. He would walk down main street America and you would think he was the local barber or something. On many occasions, riding by his place we would stop and talk with him, while he was out mowing his yard or doing some maintenance on a piece of equipment. Being kids we thought the carnival was “cool”. Jack new my grandfather very well. My grandfather, worked for Indiana Public Service, it was called back then. Today it is Duke Energy. Grandpa was in charge of the office that took care of the western half of Wayne County. So it wasn’t surprising to me that Jack knew my grandfather. Everybody knew grandpa! However, Jack and grandpa had a special relationship. When Cambridge had its annual Street Fair, several streets in town were closed down for the week. Grandpa would be responsible for setting up power connections at various locations off of the IPS poles in town. So Jack, when he found out who I was and that I only lived a half mile down the road, always took the time out to visit with me, anytime I rode by.

It had been many years since I lived in Cambridge City. But I still thought about it many times. My grandparents had passed away, but my parents still lived there, so I went down occasionally for visits. Those visits weren't as often as I'd liked. With this job, the family and all of it's obligations, driving two hours down and two hours back home, made those visits more rare, every year. But this cold December afternoon, on my drive up to the Auburn, IN area, all that was the furthest thing from my mind. I’m thinking of, what am I going to find in the barn I’m going to? We received a call from a man named Goodwin. Goodwin said he has a son. This son was a witness to a murder, that transpired in this barn. The father and his son, were apparently pretty sketchy on the location of the barn, saying it was north of Auburn, IN on a gravel road. He did recall that the road seemed to have a long name. A long name? Most of the roads in Dekalb County, where Auburn is located, are numbered. So, we had to look for a road with a name, not a number, on gravel, and north of town. Morningstar Road seemed to fit the bill, so that was where I was headed. I had called the Crime Scene Techs and a couple of Troopers that live locally, to meet me just north of town on Main St. When I arrived I met with the Techs and the Troopers. I told them the limited information I had at this time. It appeared that this murder occurred during the Dekalb County Fair, back in September. The perpetrators, apparently took the victim out to this barn on the pretext of a Satanic initiation, but he ended up dead instead. At that time, that was about all that I knew, other than the location description given earlier. One of the Troopers said he might have a place in mind. I said, lead the way.

While following the Trooper down this road, I began to see the outline of an old barn. The closer we got it became clear that the barn was in bad need of repair. There was no paint, there were wide gaps in the siding, with a board or two missing here and there, and weeds all around it and couple of pieces of old rusty outdated equipment, sitting in the weeds. There was no house there, but you could tell there once was a house, that accompanied the barn. We pulled in to, what was once a lane and parked our vehicles and got out. As usual, I had the Techs get out their camera equipment and start taking photos of the area, before we went to the barn and disturbed anything. After they took their pictures of the outside and I was sure it was documented as we found it, then we approached the building. There were the usual sliding barn doors, but there was a normal swinging passage door, for pedestrian traffic, that was the easiest to gain access with. I opened the door and the Techs followed. Again, after taking only a step or two inside, I had them photograph everything thoroughly, to insure proper documentation of the scene, before it was disturbed, by our search. One of my pet peeves, if you will, was to insure nothing was touched before documentation. You could say it was nothing more than self preservation, but I tended to be anal about my investigations. It was important to me that nothing I did or didn't do, was the cause for losing the case. I watched another detective from another department, get fried on the witness stand, by a defense attorney. Something I swore, would never happen to me. Apparently, this detective and others, entered a scene, picked up some evidence, then placed it back down, where they found it, before pictures were taken. During someone’s deposition, by the defense attorney, he discovered this. So, when this case went to trial, the prosecutor presented a set of photos of the scene. In order to present these photos, in court, a prosecutor has to have the officer on the stand. He then gives him those photos, asks him to review them, then asks him, “Are these the photos you or your technician took?” The officer then looks them over, and replies, “Yes they are.” The prosecutor’s next question is, “Do they truly and accurately represent the scene, as you found it?” His answer this time, which was wrong, was “Yes.” The defense attorney went ballistic. Called the cop everything, including a liar. He then asked him the same questions the prosecutor did and produced a statement by one of the other officers, taken during a deposition. In that deposition this cop said that they picked up a piece of evidence, prior to photos being taken. The attorney accused the cop on the stand of staging the scene and on and on. When I saw him squirm and sweat, I said to myself, “That is not going to be me. I would much prefer to see the defense attorney and his client, be the ones that squirm and sweat.” That was always my ultimate goal, besides getting a guilty plea or verdict.

So the picture taking was completed by the Techs and I then gave permission for the rest to enter the barn and to see what we could find, cautioning the Troopers in particular, “If you see something that is or could be evidence, don’t touch it.” Call the tech over and he will document it, tag and bag it. So, I start to look around and see mostly old, rusty, worn out small equipment and tools used on the farm. There was some old weathered lumber stacked up along one wall. Not too far from that wall was a 6 panel door, lying on the dirt floor of the barn, kind of by itself. I looked at that door and saw a pentagram painted on it. There were some candle remnants, in the dirt around it. So it appeared someone had been in this barn playing games, with Satanic stuff. Things at that time, I was not familiar with, at all. I saw a couple of Pepsi cans, lying there that appeared to have not been there too long. The door seemed to have some charring along the edges. I grabbed the corner of the door to raise it up and saw, what was left of a human torso.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 02-08-2017
(1943-2018) Forum Co-founder/Administrator

OH!..............OH! The Perils of Pauline cliff hangar, this is going to be good

JOHN FINN
FORUM MODERATOR-ADMINISTRATOR
1982 FC35RB
I'm NO EXPERT, but I did stay in the FINN'S INN EXPRESS last night
HOPKINS, SOUTH CAROLINA
VISIT THE FINN'S INN EXPRESS REMODELING ADVENTURE AND TECH. TIPS
I'M SO SLOW ON THE HILLS,THAT I GET TO SMELL THE FLOWERS AS I GO BY.....AND WATCH THEM GROW TOO!! NOT SO MUCH ANYMORE
Visit the WILD HARE RACING website
REMEMBER 9/11
Old 02-08-2017

Get out your $.09 and hurry down to the local theater for the Saturday morning western movie and this weeks episode of the serial. Will Jim get out of the stagecoach before it goes over the cliff?? Will Mary get off the railroad before the train runs cuts her in two??
Old 02-08-2017

That was the last thing I wanted to see today, even if it was what I was looking for. I’m already up to my a** in alligators. I had just finished another murder investigation. I am actively working on some shyster attorney; that had used several client’s trust and escrow account monies, for his own personal use. That is not to mention the half dozen other cases on my desk waiting for my attention, that just seem to keep piling up. My wife had recently been diagnosed with another battle of breast cancer; that we thought we had whipped the first time, from 1988. And of course, Christmas is coming up in a couple of weeks! Oh well! Maybe this one will be an easy one. Yeah right!

So, I put the door back down and call Dave the Tech over and tell him what I have found. I told him to do his thing and I was going out to the car and call the Post to advise them of what we had found. We were also going to need the Coroner and his wagon with a body bag to take the remains in for an autopsy by the pathologist. That would probably be Dr. Wagoner, who I had worked with a number of times and who I considered the best in the area. So, after making the call, I go back in and Dave has removed the door and we see that the victim had been decapitated and his hands cut off. At first I wasn’t sure, because animals had taken advantage of a free meal, but it appeared that the torso had been mutilated to some degree. There was no shirt or any signs of a shirt, but the belt and pants were still on the corpse. The more we looked, it showed signs of what was thought to be a laceration from the top of the sternum to the lower abdomen or belt line; then a second laceration laterally across the body just below the rib cage. Again, I was not that familiar with the Satanic Cult, so it took me a while to figure out what I was seeing. And based on what little knowledge I had available to me at that time, this all appeared to look like an inverted cross. For now that was what I was going with, until and after the autopsy, which may or may not change my thinking. We start to dig around the body to prepare to remove it, because it appeared that some person or persons had dug into the dirt in a real poor attempt to bury the body. It almost seemed as though someone came unprepared to bury it and maybe used whatever they could find on hand in the barn, including just their bare hands. Seeing that they couldn’t get the body completely concealed with dirt, they apparently chose to cover the remainder up with the door.

The Coroner arrived. I saw him enter the door and pass by the Trooper I had stationed at the door as scene security. I immediately yelled, “Whoa!” and raised my hand in the stop motion. He stopped but wanted to know why? I explained to him that he had to sign a Crime Scene Entry Log, which the Trooper, at the door had. He had a quizzical look on his face but said “Oh” and proceeded to sign in, below, my name and the others that had already done so. I could see I was going to have to “train” this guy into doing things properly and follow up on everything that he did, to make sure it didn’t screw up my case, for prosecution. I had never worked with this guy. In Indiana, the coroner is an elected office and anybody could be one. Many, if not most, are morticians. I suppose they got the idea that maybe they could increase their funeral business, if the grieving family realized he could take care of the body. Plus they got the coroner’s pay to supplement their income. Most are harmless and follow my direction. We had one guy, in my home county that was a dentist. He pictured himself as Quincy M.E.! This guy knew that, by law, he was the chief law enforcement officer in the county. He also, knew that his job was to “determine cause and manner of death.” None of which I had a problem with, until he started to foul up my crime scene. Fortunately for him, that crime scene, turned out to be a suicide and I was pretty much aware of that early in the investigation, but he wasn’t. But this Goobersmooch started taking liberties, with picking up evidence or potential evidence and God only knows what he thought he was going to do with it. Anyway, you recall my earlier comment about the officer on the hot seat and the defense attorney. I really meant that! Something this coroner found out real quick. I told him immediately and loud enough everyone could here “If you ever come into my crime scene again, touch anything, even if it’s your own balls that are itching, I will personally throw your a** out of there and you will never be allowed back into another one!” I went on to explain to him the law states that he is to “determine” cause and manner of death. He is not to “investigate”. That is left up to me and I didn’t take kindly to others getting in my way and/or screwing it up. I finally told him that I have never, not been able to tell a coroner the cause and manner of any death yet. Until such time as I can’t these are the rules we are going by. Just as a little CYA, I went to see the Prosecutor, John Branham. You may recall him, from my previous story. I told John what I had done and what I was prepared to do, which was throw this clown out, even in jail if I had to. John gave me the green light and said he would back me 100%, should anything be said. Nobody ever said a word and I never had to follow through, because as soon as this coroner saw I was at the scene, he would stay outside, until I told him he could come in and pick up the body.

We were finally ready to put the body in the bag and I motioned for the coroner and his deputy, who followed along behind him, to come and load him up. It was then Dave said, “Whoa! Wait a minute, I might have something else here.” In our attempt to unearth the body, Dave must have disturbed an area, with his feet, and he noticed what appeared to be a bone fragment. So we halted everything, stepped back and Dave took some more picks. Then we carefully start scratching around in the dirt, where the bone fragment was. Before it was over, we unearthed what were parts of the skull, jaw bones , with teeth, and hands. Most assuredly the victim’s. So, Dave complete the excavation, bagging and tagging of the items. We again, motion to the coroner to come over and we load up the body in the bag. Dave takes the bags of skull, teeth and hands, and places them into the body bag, with the victim. Dave had started an Evidence Continuity Sheet, logged the time and date the body was found and who was in possession of it. He then logged the date and time the body was transferred to the coroner, who was required to sign it. Again, he had this look on his face as if he was totally lost. I explained that in a court of law, all evidence has to have a continuity of who is in possession of that evidence at all times. When I go to court, I have to be able to prove, that no one could have had access to that evidence that could have tampered with it. It makes no difference if that evidence is as small as a hair or as big as a body. It all has to be done. I explained that he is now in possession of my evidence and I expected him to handle that evidence, with proper care. He is to take it to St. Joe Hospital to Dr. Wagoner, along with this continuity sheet. He is then to present the body bag and this sheet to the doctor. He will know what to do with it. I also told him, he is not to leave the body for a split second between here and there. No stopping along the way, because the wife called to pick up a gallon of milk at store, on your way home. He followed my directions just fine and all went well.

We finished up at the barn and I headed to the Post to talk to whoever took the call from Goodman. I needed a whole lot more information than I had at this point. It would help to know the name of the victim, when his murder may have occurred, since we had a witness then, who did it. But I had none of that. That happens when you have people sitting in Post Command that field a call like this. Most times, that person has no experience in criminal investigations. They don’t know the in depth questions to ask. They don’t understand what is required to even start an investigation. But that is the way it is. I have had to fill in for Post Command at times. All the calls that I took were about, “I know your public service message says heavy snow expected and the roads are snow covered, slick and hazardous, but can I drive to Indianapolis?” At times I wondered if anyone was left in this world that had the slightest bit of a brain left. They always leave out the part about, “We suggest you stay at home unless an absolute emergency.” All they really want is for you to be dumb enough to say, “Yeah, you can make it.” They are then validated in going, even though everyone tells them they are stupid. It also allows them to say, “That Trooper I talked to on the phone said to go ahead and go” as they pull him out of the ditch or the rear of somebody else’s vehicle. So I can’t expect much from those guys, which is alright. I understand. I get into the Post and talk with the PC. He said he didn’t have any more than what was given to me already, other than the phone number of the father that called. I took the number and called. By this time several hours had passed and it was late Saturday evening.

The phone rings and a male answers. I asked if this is Mr. Goodman and he said yes. I asked if it was Mark Goodman’s father and he said yes. I told him who I was and I asked him if Mark was home. There was a long pause. One of those real uncomfortable long pauses. One of those long pauses, that you just know, when they finally say something, you aren’t going to like it. When he finally spoke again, he said, “Mark started having second thoughts about talking with you guys and he packed up again and left. I’m terribly sorry. I tried to stop him.” I won't say what I said to myself. I would most assuredly get moderated and then you would never know how this is going to end. So,I asked if he gave him any more information than what has been provided already. He said, “No.” So I needed to start asking some other questions. I asked Mr. Goodman, since he lived in southern Indiana, what was Mark doing up north, in Auburn. He said he didn’t know. I asked him what Mark did for a living and he said that he had been working for some carnival, as a ride operator. Finally, something that may be of use. Although not much, it may just be enough to get this thing off the ground. Each fall, in late September, Auburn has a Fall Free Fair. Not so sure what is so free about it, but anyway, this fair is usually held in late September annually. Judging from the condition of the body we found, with the cooler weather of the fall months, I may have an approximate time of death, at the very least. Something I can pass along to Dr. Wagoner, that may help him in his efforts.

For now I was done for the day. I know that typically a murder investigation's most critical hours are within the first 72 hrs. But this thing was already months old, at this point. Besides, where was I going and what would I do, when I got there. I don't know! At least not now. What I do know is this. I want to get home to my wife and my kids. My oldest daughter is home from her first year at Ball State University. I had already missed a Christmas shopping day with them, I'm not going to miss anything else. I'm looking forward to a great Sunday tomorrow. We're going to church, then out to eat, and watch some football playoff games. Today and what happened, just doesn't seem to matter much, right now.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 02-09-2017

I feel like I need to clarify something I said in the last episode, which may have some people wondering. In Indiana at least, a coroner is an elected official. So is a sheriff. Many consider the sheriff the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county. However, here in Indiana, the coroner is the only person that can arrest the elected sheriff. Therefore, by statute, this makes him the highest ranking law enforcement officer in the county. Can a coroner arrest anyone else? Technically he has the statutory authority do so, but I don’t know of one instance in this state, where that has ever happened. Not saying it hasn’t, but I have never heard of it. So for anyone that was questioning my statement there you have it. Oh, just to let you know, any cop can arrest the coroner. Yeah, I know, how crazy is that. But only the governor can "remove" the coroner or the sheriff from office. So onward.

I didn’t have the great weekend I was hoping for. I had taken my wife to the oncology clinic on Friday, for her weekly chemotherapy session. There was one thing I vowed, when she was first diagnosed three years before, that she would not go through this alone. I was going to be at her side, every step of the way. Somehow, she was going to beat this. I sat and held her hand each time they stuck that needle into the port in her chest, to put that nasty stuff in her veins. Sometimes that nasty stuff caused issues. She could tell, as I did, Saturday night; that this was going to be one of those times, where issues come up. A complete lack of energy and a sort of hives reaction and fever was our clue. This wasn’t the first time, nor would it be the last. Time to go to the ER. The kids were already in bed and asleep so I left them a note, loaded Mom up in the car and off we went. So, we got to the ER they did the usual blood tests and other vital signs and just as we suspected, her platelet count was way low. She needed an infusion of platelets to get her immune system back up and get her strength back. So, they started that process and at times it takes most of the night to get it accomplished. We finally got it completed and her counts were up enough to let her go home. Got home just as it was starting to get light out. The kids hadn’t even gotten up yet and didn’t know we were gone. That was good. They didn’t need to worry any more than they already had. So, I started making some breakfast. The smell of the bacon frying must have awakened the girls. They came out and gave me a big hug. Something that I really needed. I told them we were going to let mom sleep a little and that we would all go into the bedroom and give Mom her breakfast in bed and we would join her. When breakfast was over, neither Mom nor I had the energy to get ready to go to church, so we just stayed home. I had some cleaning to get done around the house and the girls helped do some laundry. Laundry was not my strong suit. I destroyed more clothing than I care to think about. Like a whole load of “pink” clothes because I put a red sweatshirt in with stuff that didn’t start out “pink”. The rest of the day was just sitting and talking with the girls, particularly Krista, the oldest, that had been away at school. By this time she realized where we had been all night and she was getting uncomfortable about going back to school. She didn’t like being away from Mom, when Mom was not feeling well. I told her I understood. But she had signed a lease on an apartment she was sharing with a couple of other girls, at school. That was a commitment that needed to be kept. I told her we would re-visit this after this school year was over. I then sat down to look over the Sunday paper and watch a playoff game. I don’t remember the game even starting. I woke up, in my chair, the TV off, the lights out except for a dim night light at the garage door entrance, with a blanket over me, and a note on the arm of the chair that said, “We love you.”

It’s now Monday morning and I just got into my car, called the dispatcher on the radio, and said, “Fort Wayne, 22-81, 10-41.” Which meant my weekend was over and back to work. I got a response from the dispatcher. “22-81 clear, Dr. Wagoner advised the PC that the autopsy would be conducted at 0900.” I responded with, “22-81 clear.” So off to St. Joseph’s Hospital I go. I arrived and saw Dave our Tech already gowned up, with his camera hanging from his neck; and Dr. Wagoner taking the tag off of the body bag and signing the continuity sheet, with the date, time being noted also. He opens the bag and he and Dave remove the body from the bag. I didn’t need much information. I was pretty sure what killed this guy. I have yet to see anyone be able to live, without a head. I didn't believe the lacerations were deep enough to cause death. But I bet they caused some pain! What I was most interested in were the lacerations on the torso. After some examination and discussion, Dr. Wagoner concurred. The lacerations didn't appear to be the cause of death. The lacerations appeared consistent with a sharp instrument, maybe such as a knife, that cut what appears to be an inverted cross on the torso. In all probability the same instrument was used to sever the hands and the head, from the rest of the body; however, he could not say for sure, which was understandable. That was going to have to be my job to figure out, anyway. I asked that a thorough and complete documentation be done of the teeth. I assumed at this time, I would eventually need the services of Dr. O’Shaughnessy, a forensic dentist and one time coroner, to help me identify this victim. This was before DNA was the common way of IDing someone. DNA was available, but extremely expensive and we, the ISP Lab, didn't do that yet. Samples were usually sent to some lab in Maryland, I believe. So the teeth were my concern. One thing I didn’t miss on this autopsy was the smell the bone saw creates, when the cap of the skull gets removed to extricate the brain, for examination. I usually stand back far enough to let the exhaust fan do its job, but at times I needed to be right in there with my latex gloves on, ready to do what needed to be done. Kind of like when I was looking for a bullet that had been fired into the back of a victim’s head and appeared lying under the skin of his forehead. When the scalp was folded forward, by Dr. Wagoner, I needed to be there and catch the bullet should it fall out. The Tech was busy taking pics, the Dr. was busy, so that left me. A bullet must be maintained in pristine condition. It can’t be allowed to fall on a hard stainless steel table or any other hard surface. It may get marked up or change the markings on it and make it difficult or even impossible for the firearms examiner to identify that bullet coming out of a certain gun. The bullets are removed, placed into a cotton lined box, with another piece of cotton on top of it, to insure no other marks are placed on it. But that is another case. One which I may write about later. But there was no bullet, this time. There was no skull cap to remove! The Dr. was able to determine that the skull fragments appeared to have been burned along with the hands. There may have been some flesh left afterwards, but bugs and worms probably took care of the rest of it, leaving very little if any left. I told the Dr. and Dave I thought I had enough for now and that should something earth shattering appear, when they opened him up, to call me. I never got that call.

I go to the Post. Let those that needed to know what was going on, know what we had and maybe more importantly, what we didn’t have, which was a lot! A lot less than we usually start out with. I was asked what I planned on doing. Go to see Mr. Goodman, was my response. Right now he or should I say, his son, is my only link.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 02-09-2017

Jim, between you and Dawn Hollis ?? Think it's the good the bad and the ugly. She's the good and I don't know what we can assign to you. Maybe all three.

John Heckman
Shippensburg Pa
1987 PT 36
The Bella Mia
Old 02-09-2017

Going to be a long wait until Saturday! I have my $.09 ready and can hardly wait for the serial to start.
Old 02-09-2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubblerboy64 View Post
Jim, between you and Dawn Hollis ?? Think it's the good the bad and the ugly. She's the good and I don't know what we can assign to you. Maybe all three.
The Bad and the Ugly fits pretty well.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN