Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 05-23-2010

Default Flying J

Hi gang,

It's been about 6 months since we were last on the road. I'm supprised to see that Flying J (at least in NJ and VA) is now charging 10 bucks for thier dump station. Is this true across the country.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 05-23-2010
Geek

That has been the report in a number of RV forums. Supposed to be $5 with an FJ rewards card.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-23-2010
1983 FC 35 "Casa Billisa"

I used the one in Carlisle PA last month and no charge... I did not see a sign and nobody said anything... their fuel price was high.

NH Bill
St. Petersburg, Florida
Old 05-23-2010
Geek

Last month was before the charge was initiated. See this article as one of many with details:
http://news.rvbasics.com/flying-j-tr...dump-stations/

Flying J is not what it once was. The merger with Pilot would mean that it is Pilot under another name, or if that gets blocked it is a bankrupt struggling company with serious problems. Unlikely either way that it will go back to being one of the better price choices out there.
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 05-23-2010
Timberlake Products Group

I too have found (at times) fuel prices on the highway to be much higher than in town.

FJ out on "eye" 75 was 33 cent higher for diesel than in town... $3.30 verses $2.97... go figure?

Ryan and Michelle Saari
1985 PT36
1983 FC35RB Left me for Atlanta!
Clearwater, Florida

My Ebay store:http://stores.ebay.com/Timberlake-Pr...oup?rmvSB=true
Old 05-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbokitty View Post
I too have found (at times) fuel prices on the highway to be much higher than in town.

FJ out on "eye" 75 was 33 cent higher for diesel than in town... $3.30 verses $2.97... go figure?
I find this to be true but don’t mind paying the higher price out on the interstate at a busy truck stop knowing they have fresh fuel; it is less likely to be contaminated with water or some other type of contamination problem than a station that has a low turnover rate.
Old 05-23-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Britton View Post
I find this to be true but don’t mind paying the higher price out on the interstate at a busy truck stop knowing they have fresh fuel; it is less likely to be contaminated with water or some other type of contamination problem than a station that has a low turnover rate.
Hey Robert,

For the $90.00 I would save on a fill up, I believe I would take a chance on the cheaper fuel. Bad fuel nowadays is a rarity due to the refining cababilities, turnover and inground tank condition and monitors.
Old 05-23-2010

We travel up and down I-95 constantly and have always stopped at the FJ in Carney's Point, NJ. First station when you cross the Delaware Mem. bridge. although thier price may be a few pennies higher that further up I-295, it was an easy place to stop. We would always fill up there and use the dump station if needed. No since they are charging, we stop at the rest area about 1/2 mile further up I-95 for a FREE dump station in the rest area. We dump there and refill the fresh water tank. Then go a bit further up I-295 for some cheaper priced fuel. I agree with DonB in that FJ is not what they used to be. I know they are losing a fair number of us. Too bad, we used to look forward to stopping there, fueling up, flushing tanks, and sometimes eating at the restaurant. Guess nothing is constant.....except change.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 05-23-2010
Forum Moderator

My number one consideration when fueling is safe access and exit. After that it's price of fuel. I'm constantly reminded of what Mike H once said (paraphrased but I think it went something like........'we need to be careful out there because nobody is making some BB body parts any more'
Old 05-23-2010

Good point Rob.
I'm always aware of how we can or can not fit into a station. Especially pulling our Jeep or 24 ft trailer. In fact one place we like to fill up is in Burlington, NJ. off I-295. There's a Hess station there that I can not fit in if I'm towing. Always a nickle cheaper than most other stations.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler