Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 2 Weeks Ago

Andy is correct. I said “exactly” which wasn’t exactly true . When doing these it’s important to have direct metal-to-metal contact inside the crimped fitting, as well as where the flange contacts the battery terminal or other device. Went back and looked at my prior instructions in post #61, and I say that in the last paragraph. Again, it’s important for only bare cable to be inserted into the crimp fitting. Then using shrink-fit with pre-applied internal sealant will keep the air out once it is heat activated. However, the YT video did not mention how important it is to NOT attach that shrink-fit such that it contacts, get “squished” into or impairs the mechanical attachment point of the fitting flange to the battery or device. At best that can degrade the connection and at worst, can be dangerous from a fire standpoint. Once the crimper is used and the fitting flange is attached, die-Electric grease or Noalox should only be applied to any exposed bare metal of the flange/fitting and the nut. This stuff is used to prevent corrosion/oxidation on exposed bare metal and certainly NOT for lubrication (as mentioned in the YT video). On the exposed EXTERIOR bare metal attachments of my install I used a thin coat of die-electric, then applied some liquid electrical tape. Three years later there is absolutely no corrosion anywhere so it seems to be working.

Sorry for any confusion

Last edited by NoGas; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:38 PM. Reason: Fixed grammar
Old 2 Weeks Ago

You should always grease up your connection with something, that's good advice. The guy in the video made a comment about not sliding the heat shrink up into where the hole is, then proceeds to do them all that way, almost missing end of the terminal where the insulation is. Like 1" on the terminal and 1/4" on the insulation. You know what you're doing, but the guy in the video, meeeeehhhhhhh.
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Not to get off topic, I think this question is on topic. Would using dielectric on the cannon plugs be the wrong place to use the stuff or on the toad lights cable from the coach the toad ?
Old 2 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Not to get off topic, I think this question is on topic. Would using dielectric on the cannon plugs be the wrong place to use the stuff or on the toad lights cable from the coach the toad ?
That is exactly the perfect application of dielectric grease.
Old 1 Week Ago

For anyone else considering an upgrade and wondering how the Victron control panel on Andre’s system works? Found this excellent video from another DIY install, that describes a similar/smaller setup. It’s a nicely done DIY setup with solar and Victron blue boxes that’s worth watching, especially if you are considering your own install in a Bird. Of particular note are:

1) 8:00 - RV refrigerator sensor/switch to control Auto vs 120VAC usage (link provided)
2) 19:00 - Good overview of Victron displays and controls

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
... Makes me feel like I should have selected Victron gear - Doug
Agreed. But most of it wasn’t available 5 years ago and for us it’s hard to justify the cost of switching, especially when ours works so well. However, ...

https://youtu.be/eASyRkkII_Q

Last edited by NoGas; 1 Week Ago at 09:28 AM. Reason: Corrected link
Old 1 Week Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelwheels View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by badandy View Post
That is exactly the perfect application of dielectric grease.
+1. The metal bits rubbing against each other (male and female connectors) as you connect the plug to the bus will scrape the dielectric grease away making a good electrical connection. The grease will then seal between the two plug pieces for corrosion protection.