Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 10-07-2015

Default Charging the generator battery

I just got my PT40 and there is no alternator on the generator, and it kills the battery. How does the battery stay charged while the genny is running?
"Grandpa's Bus"
1985 PT40
bsteckert@comcast.net
Old 10-07-2015

Battery charger(s) should be charging the batteries (if it's setup the way my FC was). If all you have is the original battery boiler chargers you'll probably want to replace that with something modern.
1984 FC35RB Sold
Old 10-07-2015

Ours has no alternator on the genie either , it charges the batteries with the charger/converters . When i run my inverter , i turn off the breaker to the chargers . You might check your breakers to make sure you have power to the chargers.
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "Sold"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 10-07-2015

There is an auxiliary battery solenoid in the Rediline box. You have a 4/0 cable that runs up to charge that battery.
If you need a schematic of the entire system I can scan and email it.
FMCA 387867
Old 10-07-2015

Actually that solenoid may be up front....but it is the auxiliary batt solenoid
FMCA 387867
Old 10-07-2015

I have all the blueprints on the coach, I will look for that. Thanks.
"Grandpa's Bus"
1985 PT40
bsteckert@comcast.net
Old 10-07-2015

Just to let you know, Blue Bird made a change to how this was all wired. I have a copy of the service bulletin and updated drawing. If yours is already changed the do not use all the studs on the isolator. So if your does not match the wiring diagram at the isolator that might throw you off.

Does anyone else have the service bulletin I am referring too?
FMCA 387867
Old 10-08-2015

In 1985, technology was pretty limited. Bluebird used a diode to control and limit voltage from leaking backwards from the generator battery to the house circuits. The problem was that the voltage across the diode would drop 1-2 volts, resulting in a weak or even dead battery. The diode is located in your battery charger compartment, under the shelf where the battery charger(s) are located. You should replace it with one of these- http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syste.../dp/B00BFVGVA6

This device will allow your chargers and/or alternator to provide more voltage to the generator battery and will close when you shut down the engine or turn off the generator- allowing your charger(s) to act like an alternator for the generator.

Here is a photo of my 1985 PT40 charger compartment. In the upper center of the picture, you will see the predecessor to the ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) which I posted in the link above. I have installed 4 of the ACR's on various mid-80's coaches and we solved the problem you are experiencing in each case.

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 10-08-2015
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfedeli View Post
In 1985, technology was pretty limited. Bluebird used a diode to control and limit voltage from leaking backwards from the generator battery to the house circuits. The problem was that the voltage across the diode would drop 1-2 volts, resulting in a weak or even dead battery. The diode is located in your battery charger compartment, under the shelf where the battery charger(s) are located. You should replace it with one of these- http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syste.../dp/B00BFVGVA6

This device will allow your chargers and/or alternator to provide more voltage to the generator battery and will close when you shut down the engine or turn off the generator- allowing your charger(s) to act like an alternator for the generator.

Here is a photo of my 1985 PT40 charger compartment. In the upper center of the picture, you will see the predecessor to the ACR (Automatic Charging Relay) which I posted in the link above. I have installed 4 of the ACR's on various mid-80's coaches and we solved the problem you are experiencing in each case.

And you say your not an Electrician and have never played one on TV.