Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

SP (Single Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your SP model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....List your SP parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-28-2017

Default Suck or Blow?

(the Horton fan - get your mind out of the gutter!)

So, when I bought my SP, a mention was made of the blade direction on the Horton fan being reversed to "cool better". Right now it is set up to push air out the rear vents (and pull fresh air from the side vent/engine access doors). Can anyone confirm for me what the original design was regarding air flow? Should the Horton fan be pulling air in from the rear vents or pushing it out as mine is now?

We just got back from a trip, the last 70 miles pulling up our 5,000' grade from the Phoenix valley to our place in Payson. I had to stop 3 times to let the water and oil temps drop, (after the second time dropped the toad to lighten the load, but didn't help much). We've made the trip lots of times, but not this time of year with summer temps. It was over 100 degrees outside, but the engine temps seem a bit excessive to me.

I've got plans to have the cooling system and CAC serviced, but was really curious regarding the direction of airflow from the fan. Thanks!!
'76 FC35 SB (project)
'91 SP36 (sold)
2008 Dodge Dakota 4x4 toad
A whole herd of English Bull Terriers

Live long and Wander.
Old 05-28-2017

Ken, Your fan is set up correctly. It is designed to push through the radiator. Ensure the Radiator is clean inside and out. It's just large enough to do its job when clean. Add a little blow by oil to the fins and its not big enough.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-28-2017

Thanks Rick!
'76 FC35 SB (project)
'91 SP36 (sold)

Live long and Wander.
Old 05-28-2017

Blowing out the back is what mine does. Many have achieved an air flow increase by flipping the fan blade over. If it has already been flipped, you will achieve a decrease by flipping.

SPs also had a problem where the crankcase vent was directed so it coated the radiator on the fan side with oily residue. Many have redirected this to the exhaust or somewhere away from the rad. You may need to clean the radiator.

3208s like to break exhaust manifold bolts. The resulting leak will dirty up your radiator and require cleaning.

Maybe it was just too hot to be hill climbing.
96 WB
Valparaiso, In./Baldwin, Mi.
Old 05-31-2017

When we first got our SP, with only 32k original miles, my radiator was almost 50% blocked with oily dirt. I couldn't get up a 5 mile 6% grade hill without temps getting too high. I swung the radiator open and cleaned with degreaser (soak for a while) and a garden hose. Don't use too much pressure, the radiator fins are very soft and bend easily. After the cleaning, I was able to drive up hwy 55 out of Boise in 110° heat with engine temps barely going above normal, and this was a 20 minute climb! That radiator is sized right, works great when clean. I diverted the blowby hose to a steel can with a vent on the opposite end, and steel wool in the middle to capture the oil. It's been about four years now and the radiator is still clean.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dirty Radiator.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	107.7 KB
ID:	49198  

Chris Blegen
La Crosse, WI
1989 SP36 Silver Edition
Old 05-31-2017

Thanks for the reply's guys! I've already diverted the breather, and will work on cleaning out the radiator and CAC next. Hopefully that's all it's going to take. Most every "major" issue I've faced so far has ended up having a fairly simple cure
'76 FC35 SB (project)
'91 SP36 (sold)

Live long and Wander.