Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 11-21-2009

Default Cracked Head

I took the bus to a Detroit Diesel Service Center yesterday to have them look at the coolant leaking from the right slobber tube problem that was discussed at a tech session at RATS. They found a cracked head and a bent rod. The bent rod must have happened in Florida when I couldn't get the engine to crank over and thought I had a starter problem. They are going to pull the other head on Monday just in case and then order new parts. One cylinder kit and a new head, not as bad as it could have been.
They are also going to change the compressor coolant hoses and bypass the muffler while it's there.
"The Aviary"
Old 11-21-2009
Administrator

This is probably better news than we expected.
I was with you when Randy diagnosed the coolant problem at RATS.

Last edited by Bill Pape; 11-22-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 11-21-2009
Forum owner

its good new$,that$ for $ure!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-21-2009

Make sure they check your rod and main bearings. Detroits don't tolerate coolant in the oil at all. I've seen new bearing get ruined driving 1400 miles with @12% coolant in the oil.
"Bark-O-Lounger"
Old 11-22-2009

The connecting rod may have bent, due to the cylinder filling with coolant, and, with the exhust valves, and intake ports closed off, created a hydraulic lock. Then the bus was started. Can't compress a liquid,so, something has to give.
I'm not sure what the procedure for diagnosing a bad cylinder is used here, but what I do is pull the exhust manifolds and look to see which port is wet.
Old 11-22-2009

If this is a 92 series Detroit Diesel and it lost coolant, It is money well spent to remove the other cylinder head, and check the main bearings. 92's dont like coolant in the oil. Take a good look at the cylinder liner o-rings on the cylinder that you removed to check for damage from overheating. If your engine is this far apart its good insurance.
Old 11-22-2009

Bill..... agreed... money well spent.
When installing new liners, and "O" rings. I place the piston I'm removing at the bottom of the stroke, then place a brass punch a little longer than the cylinder is wide, in the intake port, across the head of the piston. Then I turn the the engine by hand, using a socket on the front of the crankshaft. When the piston moves upward, it will force the liner up out of it's counterbore. I don't go too far, just enough to pop it up a little, then remove it by hand(liner and piston together). When I install the new liner and piston, I first place the piston inside of the liner, using a ring compressor, made from an old liner cut down, with a small bevel cut in the insidetop. I place the compressor over the new liner, then push the piston and rings through the compressor and into the new liner.
I also use a non petroleum based lubricant, (Crisco) to lube the "O" rings.
Old 11-22-2009
Forum owner

Bill and Jim.
I was thinking the liner o-rings were most likely leaking,if I had the heads off it would get liner kits too.
Do it once.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 11-22-2009

A lot depends on the miles on the engine. If its low, you can remove the cylinder kits as a unit. Clean up the counter bores and the oring groves and with new orings be back in buisness. If the cylinder head cracked, you can bet the engine ran hot at some point. The good part about the two cycle detroits is that you can check the piston rings by looking in through the ports. It just makes sense to spend the extra time and money now.
Old 11-22-2009

Well, these replies give me something to think about. With both heads off and the bottom open to replace the rod and bearings of one cylinder, I wonder how much more expensive it would be to replace all the O rings? Is it practical to replace only the O rings on a 140,000 mi engine?
"The Aviary"