Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Electrical

Electrical Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's electrical system.

Site Search:

Old 12-14-2017

Default No Start

Detroit 8-92. A couple of days ago, before the Arctic air moved in on us, I made an attempt to change the engine oil. When I tried to start the engine I got nothing. Maybe the first try the engine turned but I’m not sure. I checked the start batteries and they were on the low end of weak. With their age and the way they had been sluggish in starting I decided to replace. I did use my new battery tester though. I just replaced the 8 house batteries last week so all should be well.
After installing the 3 new batteries and repairing the terminal on a positive lug that I broke I tried to start. Nothing. I started cleaning connections and tried again. Once I got a few sparks from the starter but no other noise from that area. I have a gauge on the dash DC VOLTS ENGINE that is off the scale. The needle is pointing about 45*. It’s always worked before. Turning the switch on moves the gauge a little more in the wrong direction but a light tap, never hurts right, moves it back to the 45* area. I haven’t tried whacking the starter with my big whacker yet but as soon as my help dries her hair I’ll give that a try. Should the key be turned all the way as I whack or just whack and then try?
I have searched and spent a lot of yesterday looking at old threads. If a new starter is the remedy I’ll go for the lighter Delco Remy 8200308 39MT
Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 12-14-2017
Tom Blackwell

Try beating on it while the key is in the start position-might jar the brushes into making contact.
Old 12-14-2017
John Wyatt – Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptPegLeg View Post
Detroit 8-92. A couple of days ago, before the Arctic air moved in on us, I made an attempt to change the engine oil. When I tried to start the engine I got nothing. Maybe the first try the engine turned but I’m not sure. I checked the start batteries and they were on the low end of weak. With their age and the way they had been sluggish in starting I decided to replace. I did use my new battery tester though. I just replaced the 8 house batteries last week so all should be well.
After installing the 3 new batteries and repairing the terminal on a positive lug that I broke I tried to start. Nothing. I started cleaning connections and tried again. Once I got a few sparks from the starter but no other noise from that area. I have a gauge on the dash DC VOLTS ENGINE that is off the scale. The needle is pointing about 45*. It’s always worked before. Turning the switch on moves the gauge a little more in the wrong direction but a light tap, never hurts right, moves it back to the 45* area. I haven’t tried whacking the starter with my big whacker yet but as soon as my help dries her hair I’ll give that a try. Should the key be turned all the way as I whack or just whack and then try?
I have searched and spent a lot of yesterday looking at old threads. If a new starter is the remedy I’ll go for the lighter Delco Remy 8200308 39MT
Any ideas or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks!
Sparks? There shouldn’t be any sparks.

http://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.co...6&postcount=14

45* area? What is the actual voltage on the coach and engine batteries?
Body Number F095567
My Location: http://www.bbirdmaps.com/user1.cfm?user=4

1991 40' WB ...From 2008 - Present
1984 ½ PT-36 .From 2000 - 2008
1973 FC-31 .....From 1991 - 2001
Old 12-14-2017

Hi John, my Silverleaf says 13.5 for Engine and house are probably close to that but I didn’t take note the last time I looked.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 12-14-2017
Forum owner

have you cleaned the ground wire that goes to the starter?
normally its a braided flat cable,take the ends off and file them flat and shiny,use a new not when you put them back on,or file the nut flat and shiny too.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-14-2017

Ok Randy, it’s a balmy 46* outside right now so I’ll get under it after I get some blocks under it.
What’s your thoughts on the gauge?

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 12-14-2017
Forum owner

you lost me on the gauge,i will reread when i get a moment.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-14-2017

It's always the ground.
Germantown, WI/Myrtle ID
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 12-14-2017

Bob, I'm confused on the 45* I'm guessing you are trying to say 45°, which means what? My dash gauge for the engine says 12-13-14-and so on. I have an auxiliary digital gauge I added and my 13.45 reading is almost identical to that on the dash engine gauge where it says 13.5. If you didn't have a problem before you put the new batteries in, then that would be the first place I would look. Loose connection, corroded connection, the lug you broke maybe worse than thought? And of course the grounds like usual.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 12-14-2017

The sparks could be from a bad connection (that others have mentioned).

Before trying anything else, I'd go wiggle both ends of the ground strap as well as the big positive cable to the solenoid on the started. I'll bet one of them is loose. Careful, since the connection could be really bad and you may pull the POS cable out of the end; would be like holding a venomous snake in its mid-section.