Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 09-04-2012

Default AD-2 dryer rebuild - question about "clean" sludge found inside

All,
I rebuilt the purge valve and replaced the dessicant cartridge in my AD-2 dryer over the weekend. I do not believe the dryer had been serviced in over 10 years, though there haven't been a lot of miles on since (maybe 40k). The bottom of the unit had lots of caked on dirt and grime. Took me a long time to clean it just to disassemble.

Inside the unit there was a lot of water droplets. When I removed purge valve bottom plate I found some oily colored sludge surrounding the dessicant cartridge.

The consistency of the sludge was about like white lithium grease with just a tint of yellow honey (oil) color. Might have been two or three table-spoons of the buildup surrounding the dessicant cartridge and in the vanes of the purge valve bottom plate.

Anyhow, here's my question:

Is the sludge normal? OR should it be entirely oil free inside? I know some folks have oil pumping from a failing compressor into the dryer unit. I'm thinking 10 years without service and this may be very normal.

Appreciate the thoughts.

Thank you,

Doug
Old 09-04-2012

Doug.
I service my AD2 every year. It always has a some oil of oil mixed with water and "gunk" in the bottom of the canister and around the cartridge. It's hard to beleive yours hasn't been service in 10 years and still worked ok. Just make sure you clean it good, put the new cartridge in and you'll be fine.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 09-04-2012

Hi Don,
Thank you for the comments - that is validating. I'm not 100% certain of the timeline. I have a lot of records from the PO (i've owned it two years) and can't find anything about servicing the AD-2. Based on the dirt / grime outside on the purge outlet and the fact that some of the o-rings were flattened inside, I'm guessing 10 years.

Good news is it is working fine, following my rebuild. Servicing it the next time will be much easier!

Thank you very much,

Doug
Old 09-04-2012

Last time I did mine was back in February when I was staying at our "winter home" in Overton NV. This time Terry Angelino and I pulled off the entire unit and rebuilt the inlet valve, the purge valve and installed the new canister. That gave me a chance to really clean it up inside and out, repaint, and reinstall it. I also had to run a new wire from the circut breaker under the dash to the heater element on the AD2. The heater keeps the purge valve from freezing up in cold weather. Not that I'm ever in the northern states in the winter time. But the old wire must have rubbed against something on the frame for a number of years and it caused a short. I just abandoned the old wire and ran a new one. Works fine now.

A side story:
When that wire started shorting out, it kept causing a breaker to keep opening and also caused a drop in voltage to the trans shifter. The good old "do not shift" light kept coming on every ten seconds or so. It would drop out of torque converter lock up and the RPM's would shoot up. Drove me nuts for a day untill Shame "electical guru" Fidelli helped me figure out the wire diagram.

Don & Jane
86 PT38 8V92
Pop Pop's Bus
Jeep cherokee in
24' car hauler
Old 09-05-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meyer View Post
A side story:
When that wire started shorting out, it kept causing a breaker to keep opening and also caused a drop in voltage to the trans shifter. The good old "do not shift" light kept coming on every ten seconds or so. It would drop out of torque converter lock up and the RPM's would shoot up. Drove me nuts for a day untill Shame "electical guru" Fidelli helped me figure out the wire diagram.
Funny....I am amazed, commonly, by how many unrelated things end up being related. In the end, logic and physics prevail.

Doug
Old 09-10-2012

This might help someone. During the dryer rebuild procedure, I had difficulty removing the large split ring which retains the dryer assembly within its outer case. The rebuild instructions state to push up on the purge valve assembly while prying out the ring starting in the notch in the case.

I used a floorjack with a 2"x2" piece of wood to apply gentle pressure to the assembly while I pried out the ring. Note, gentle pressure, just enough to take the load off of the ring.

The "third hand" of my jack was extremely helpful and allowed me to use the other two to pry out the ring.

Doug