Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Ladies > Ladies General Discussion

Ladies General Discussion Discussion of general topics that the ladies of WOG may find interesting to talk about.

Site Search:

Old 05-18-2018

Default Question-Did hubbie have to "sell" you on a Wanderlodge?

New to the forum, and maybe you all can help.
My wife wants to do an extended trip to see the U.S. via motorhome. I consider an FC Wanderlodge one of the best deals on the road. She sees older rvs as trouble. Did anyone fit in this category at first, and what swayed you to the purchase?
She does need a new car, and I might point out the money we save can make that happen, plus the 'Bird can be sold afterwards for close to what we pay for it.
Old 05-18-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbmaybe View Post
My wife wants to do an extended trip to see the U.S. via motorhome. I consider an FC Wanderlodge one of the best deals on the road. She sees older rvs as trouble. Did anyone fit in this category at first, and what swayed you to the purchase?
She does need a new car, and I might point out the money we save can make that happen, plus the 'Bird can be sold afterwards for close to what we pay for it.

I'll tell you right now that you aren't going to save any money- but that's any motorcoach purchase, especially one that is 31 years old. I just bought what might be the nicest FC that's been for sale for a while and I've already put probably a couple grand in it over a few weeks. Nothing major needed- but things like speakers and filters and water hoses and surge protectors add up in a hurry.

Buy a wanderlodge because you want a wanderlodge. And buy the nicest one you can find.
kg4rrx@gmail.com 404-547-1951
Old 05-18-2018

Quote:

Joe, Welcome to the WOG Forum. We are glad your here.

You may be correct in getting back almost what you pay for your coach but its very doubtful you will get back close to what you have in it. There is a difference. Spend your $ up front or spend your $ to get it the way it has to be to travel the US.

I bought a "Rescue" coach for cheap but by the time it was the way we wanted it we had full retail in her and she still needed a paint job. These things are not a cheap hobby but are very safe and you will never wear it out.

If you should have a question or two we will try to answer.

If you haven't clicked the Buy Bye Blue Bird Banner at the top of the page that would be a good place to start. Randy always has a Wanderlodge or two that isn't listed but could be for sale. Look whats listed and then give him a call.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 05-18-2018

Quote:
You know it just all depends on how lucky you are. Like Chris said, you should buy a Wanderlodge because you want one. There are many reasons to want one, but saving money usually isn't one of them. You could find a good FC that will take you on this "extended tour" and it may not need a thing other than fuel and oil changes. You can buy a new RV and have the thing fall apart on you before you get out of the state you live in. There is no way of telling what can happen. You just do your search, pay attention to what is discussed here on the forum and take what comes along. If you buy a decent bus, keep it up, tour the country, and decide to sell it, you may get most of your money back. If you buy a new RV it will lose a 10-20% of its value as soon as the rubber leaves the parking lot and hits the street and it only gets worse the longer you have it and the more miles you put on it.

You have to go into Wanderlodge ownership with an open mind and a plan. You need to look at the various models, options, maintenance, etc. Extended trips like you are talking about may need more storage than an FC can offer or you may be able to adjust. My wife and I wouldn't be able to adjust to that. We seem to have to have it all, the room, the washer/dryer, the big house fridge etc. Are you good at wrenching? If so, you may have an advantage. But wrenching in an RV park may not be allowed and doing it on the side of the road is not fun. The newer RVs will have the same issue, but don't have the support that you will find here. So being a newbie, don't rush into anything until you have had a chance to read the forum. Dig into the archives and read up. Look the models over to make sure what will work for you. Happy hunting.

Jim and Michele Walters
'93 WLWB
Bluebird of Happiness
F397772
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
2003 Harley Ultra Classic
260-224-1278
Larwill, IN
Old 05-18-2018
Administrator

Quote:
Just like buying an old house, fix a few things, get it the way you want it,
make it road ready & safe, and it will take care of you and get you back home.
Old 05-18-2018

Joe, I dont have near the experience as many others on here. We purchased a 99 LXi. The reason we went with blue bird as I was not interested in one built with sticks and staples. The safety factor for us was huge. Secondly the quality of the coach no matter when it was built. Blue Bird built them right. Steel floor, steel frame, etc. I have owned three other motorhomes as new as a 2007 model. Even that didnt hold a candle to our blue bird. Rick Is giving good advice by directing you to By Buy Bluebird. those coaches are usually known by many on here especially Rick and Randy
Body # F123448
Chassis # 84788
Old 05-18-2018

welcome Joe , We are always happy to welcome new members to our Blue Bird Addiction I like your question .

Sounds like your in the sales department here . Remember even in a marriage one of you is doing the selling and the other is a buyer , so to say . So here is how I went about this years ago .

Dear , you know we could buy a new unit and make payments for 20 years , but remember this is no guarantee that we wont brake down . It is true that it most likely is covered by warrantee but we will be at a repair facility for maybe a week or so depending . I know this to be true .

Then when we go to sell it , we will need to write a check for what we owe , cause in no way will we ever get our money back . This should handle the new vehicle question I would think .

Now to the BB .
Dear , now I'm not saying this coach will not brake down , but what I'm saying is that there is a owners group full of every type out there . I mean they have engineers , lawyers, lol , electricians and so on . They are like a family , and they are all over the country and even Canada . And since most have nothing but time on there hand they Love to help one another . I know as I have been helped by many over the years thank you Guys

Let us know how you make out

2000 LXI Single Slide
Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 05-18-2018

Default Thanks

It will be about a year off. We did a window shopping trip about 2 weeks ago.
With the discounts, the one we liked was 79k. Discounts will happen next year as well, so she was not wooed to get one. I still have time to convince her about the older stuff. She knows school busses are tanks, so I have that in my favor.
Old 05-20-2018

Or do what I did, buy it, bring it home, and ask her if she would like to go for a ride. That's all it took
Old 05-20-2018

Take a road trip to Quartzsite in January, and visit the Bluebird get together. I know a number if owners would be glad to show both of you around. Best selling tool you will have to convince your wife.

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB