Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Caterpillar 3208 Solutions

Caterpillar 3208 Solutions This sub-forum is hosted by Mike Hohnstein who has been at this kind of thing for 50+ years now, guess I'm addicted. The saga has been all about progressively larger shop space since then. Honestly, never wanted to get into the CAT 3208's that were originally considered to be a throwaway engine but that's all that works in a FC in my world. Same thing with my Ford toter, that came with a NA, too much effort to hang in a 6, so been at it with the CAT V-8 for 20 years now. In reality you can get excellent life out of a CAT 3208 if it's built correctly. Post your questions about the CAT 3208 engines here and Mike will try to help you out.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

When I had a 8V92 I used Super Tech 2 or Power Source for lubrications.
Now with a Cummins I mainly use Howe’s or Power Source what ever is cheaper.
1989 WB “Pasture Prime” 2017-2019 Sold
2018 Ford F150 4x4
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited JL
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
It is interesting that the Howes and the Lucas did so poorly in this study.

However, the study used very little of the Howe and Lucas compared to the amount of fuel. (1000 to one and 427 to one) Perhaps that is the reason for the poor results. It appears everyone is like me in that we are using a richer mixture than used in this study to get better results. In my case, about 115 to one.

I think the most important thing is we are trying to keep things lubricated to minimize issues.

I won't use ATF in my fuel as it turns the fuel red in color. Red fuel is AG fuel and is not allowed for highway use. I seriously doubt it is checked very often but a number of years ago in Parker Arizona they were checking all the diesels for red fuel.
It can happen. Got checked out in now where in WA state a few years back. Rest stop on US 12 between Pomeroy and Dayton, little Oriental woman and a large stern WA state patrol dude. I was in the toter home, truck looking thing, don't know if they would have checked a Bird.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwinter1946 View Post
It is interesting that the Howes and the Lucas did so poorly in this study.

However, the study used very little of the Howe and Lucas compared to the amount of fuel. (1000 to one and 427 to one) Perhaps that is the reason for the poor results. It appears everyone is like me in that we are using a richer mixture than used in this study to get better results. In my case, about 115 to one.

I think the most important thing is we are trying to keep things lubricated to minimize issues.

I won't use ATF in my fuel as it turns the fuel red in color. Red fuel is AG fuel and is not allowed for highway use. I seriously doubt it is checked very often but a number of years ago in Parker Arizona they were checking all the diesels for red fuel.
Brad, Having spent a fair amount of my working life in court, it is up to the state to prove that you did something wrong. If you can refer to this and other threads where you have followed the advice of placing ATF in your fuel for changing the Racor filter, or for lubricity, then their case is s**t and you have won. Maybe you are like my wife and don't like the conflict, but I am ready for the fight and love it when I can shove it up somebody's a**. You can present your evidence and request the judge to dismiss on the basis the state was unable to make it's case. I will predict the judge will dismiss. I am no attorney, but subpoena me and I will appear and testify in your defense. No charge. I will do it for the enjoyment. There is no better feeling than screwing up an attorney's day. That makes it all worth while.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME
'93 WLWB (Sold)
Bluebird of Happiness
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Use the Schaeffer product in the FC, unless I forget. Got a case of the Lucas from a customer a few years back, after reading the reports, gave it away.
Red fuel use is a tax bust, different smell, usually focus on farmers as it's easy to get confused filling the truck with combine fuel. When/where I got checked was in wheat country during harvest time.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

In the 1970's my uncle Casey worked at the bus garage in Regina Canada. When they changed oil in the buses they dumped the used oil into the fuel tank. These were MCI and GM busses with Detroit 2 strokes. Not saying good or bad but this is what they did.

I use outboard 2 stroke oil in the fuel. Half gallon to a fill in the 6v92 and 8v92 engines.
1986 Newell 40
1999 LX 40
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Dumping your motor oil into the fuel after an oil change used to be common practice, especially on workboats. Mostly to avoid carrying it ashore rather than for adding lubrication. This pretty much stopped when people figured out how much minute particles of metal they were adding to their fuel that could pass through the filters into the injectors. The things we never thought about back then. LOL !
Oh ya, almost forgot. Been using Diesel Kleen products in the boats ( Detroits ) and the Bird (3208). Don't know how much difference it really makes but I guess it makes ME feel better. Again LOL!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Old 3 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by isp2952 View Post
Brad, Having spent a fair amount of my working life in court, it is up to the state to prove that you did something wrong. If you can refer to this and other threads where you have followed the advice of placing ATF in your fuel for changing the Racor filter, or for lubricity, then their case is s**t and you have won. Maybe you are like my wife and don't like the conflict, but I am ready for the fight and love it when I can shove it up somebody's a**. You can present your evidence and request the judge to dismiss on the basis the state was unable to make it's case. I will predict the judge will dismiss. I am no attorney, but subpoena me and I will appear and testify in your defense. No charge. I will do it for the enjoyment. There is no better feeling than screwing up an attorney's day. That makes it all worth while.
Thank you for the words and the offer. You are correct in your assessment that I would rather avoid the issue. The thought of traveling to another state to fight the issue is not appealing to me when I have acceptable alternatives.

Just for the record this road stop in Parker was checking all vehicles that they recognized as diesel powered. They had a white ball on the end of a long flexible rod/spring that they dropped into the tank.
Then they looked at the ball to check for any red coloring. I stopped and observed for about 30 minutes. I was in my gas powered Jeep and they did not stop me.
1999, Jeep Cherokee, Toad
1970, VW Baja Bug, Alternate Toad