Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues)

PT & WB (Twin Axle Pusher Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your PT or WB model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it....list your PT Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 4 Weeks Ago

Default Cost for engine removal and repair

I have a 1982 PT 40. Detroit 6V92 engine. During last Winter, while in storage, there was a puddle of oil under the engine. I brought the motor home to a truck repair shop in March for repairs.
The valve cover had a significant leak at the top of the engine on both sides of the engine. The engine was pulled. The cylinders looked good. While the engine was removed, new insulation was installed in the engine compartment and new wiring was done in the engine compartment.
After several delays, the engine is back in the bus and I am waiting to be notified of when I can pick it up.
I have not yet seen a bill, but in conversation with one of the mechanics I was told that I will likely see a bill for about $30,000.
That seems high to me, but I am not a mechanic.
Can anyone give me feedback of whether this is a reasonable cost for the repairs to the engine and the engine compartment. I'm getting nervous.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Why would they pull a 6v92 to repair - I assume a valve cover gasket leak or maybe the air box?

$30k is complete engine rebuild price range.

These stories are becoming all too common and it's sickening to see the low level of skill combined with outrageous prices of these "shops".
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Not too many Detroit mechanics left. They stopped making them for general use in 1998, and they are rapidly disappearing. I would guess in most shops the guy tearing into one is looking at his first or third, has little or no experience on what to look for, and does everything with the shop manual open beside him. There is a factory Detroit mechanic close to me and he is the only one I know. He is a boat mechanic.
Side Bath
3208NA (for now....)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I'd be nervous too. No quote prior to authorizing the work?
Double Slide.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I have a 1982 PT 40. Detroit 6V92 engine. During last Winter, while in storage, there was a puddle of oil under the engine. I brought the motor home to a truck repair shop in March for repairs.
The valve cover had a significant leak at the top of the engine on both sides of the engine. The engine was pulled. The cylinders looked good. While the engine was removed, new insulation was installed in the engine compartment and new wiring was done in the engine compartment.
After several delays, the engine is back in the bus and I am waiting to be notified of when I can pick it up.
I have not yet seen a bill, but in conversation with one of the mechanics I was told that I will likely see a bill for about $30,000.
That seems high to me, but I am not a mechanic.
Can anyone give me feedback of whether this is a reasonable cost for the repairs to the engine and the engine compartment. I'm getting nervous.
It would make me really nervous if anyone said they were going to pull a Detroit because it leaks oil.. geez.. they almost all leak some.. Most of the time the oil leaks are simple fixes.. They would have told me that the engine was seized or something like that for them to warrant pulling it. If they really did just pull the engine for oil leaks, it sounds like they are learning on your dime.. Are you sure there was not something more serious in the engine going on? Sounds like at a minimum, they are not doing a good job of communicating with you as the customer.

This is why I started doing my own work and also learning as much as I can, and hopefully some day I will be able to travel and help other Wanderlodge members from being in this situation. Hearing rumors of cost is just plain crazy in my book, it should have been a set quote and then updates as they progressed with cost estimates if they thought they were going to exceed or be below the quote... this is standard operating procedure.. or should be...

The other lesson in this for other bird owners, is come to WOG sooner with your concerns and questions, we could have told you to run from this shop when they told you that they were going to pull the engine for oil leaks..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

I have been told that the repair was the valve cover gasket, and that it was too tight to get access to do the work. So that is the reason given for pulling the engine.
Again, I am not a mechanic - can a valve cover gasket be repaired without pulling the engine? I sure looks tight in there.
I initially got a verbal estimate that it would cost around $15,000 to pull the engine. But this was verbal from one of the service people who no longer works there as of this summer.
I am waiting to see an actual bill, and then will further discuss the initial verbal estimate.
I do appreciate the feedback from the members at WOG.
Old 4 Weeks Ago

It can go that way w/vintage rich mans toys.
Germantown, WI
www.AutoTransDesign.com

http://s767.photobucket.com/user/mhohnstein/library/
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Pretty sure you can do an in-frame on a Wanderlodge with a Detroit.

I would expect to pay $2k to do the valve cover gaskets. Isn't it only two bolts on each side?

Good grief
1978 GMC Royale 26' (2015-2016)
1982 FC-33SB 250HP (2007-2009)
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike S View Post
I have been told that the repair was the valve cover gasket, and that it was too tight to get access to do the work. So that is the reason given for pulling the engine.
Again, I am not a mechanic - can a valve cover gasket be repaired without pulling the engine? I sure looks tight in there.
I initially got a verbal estimate that it would cost around $15,000 to pull the engine. But this was verbal from one of the service people who no longer works there as of this summer.
I am waiting to see an actual bill, and then will further discuss the initial verbal estimate.
I do appreciate the feedback from the members at WOG.
Yea my buddies bus the mechanic pulled the head and replaced the liner and the injector on a cylinder on the driver side of the engine with it in the bus.. It can be done.. and pulling the rocker covers is very doable in the bus. I have pulled mine off several times and even installed jakes.

Here is my video where I installed my jakes:
https://youtu.be/gMGp9MLpzeY

Have lots of other videos on my YouTube that show work being done on a PT.. Its a good reference for other PT owners as what it takes to do work on these buses, that's why I started doing the videos.. hope it helps others..

Jeff LoGiudice
1984LodgeJeff@gmail.com
Temple Terrace, Florida
1984 Bluebird PT40
#F063411 6V92TA & MT654CR
& 1986 MCI 102A3
6V92TA & HT740 (Sold)
YouTube-Gino's Garage https://www.youtube.com/user/xjrjeff
http://www.bbirdmaps.com/index.cfm #460
Old 4 Weeks Ago

Sounds like the same bus we've read about not long ago where the mechanic was asking questions about how to remove the engine. I was wondering about the outcome of that story and the final bill just the other day.

217-720-3608
dthollis@sbcglobal.net

1994 BMC37
1991 SP36(sold)
1984 FC35(totaled)
1978 FC33(sold)