Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > LX and LXI (Unique Issues)

LX and LXI (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your LX or LXI model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it, WITH THE EXCEPTION OF THOSE ISSUES INVOLVED WITH ANY LAWSUIT.....list your LX and LXI Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 03-26-2018

So now I'm shopping for a water softener AND a designer flower pot. My wife will be jealous . . .
2015 GMC Acadia Toad, AF One Brake
Midland, NC
dj.obrien@att.net
Preferred to PM

"A Bird in the barn is worth all the Birds on the web."
Old 07-01-2018

So this relates to this thread, so putting more information, along with pictures. I removed the old white water filter, along with placing a needle valve on the air line that was feeding that water filter. As stated in one of these posts, all of this is done in the third bay back of the left side of the bus. You'll need to unbolt the Aquahot Reservoir tank, so just use a couple of wire ties and wire to support that tank when the bolts are removed. You'll also need to unscrew some Philips screws on both the left side and the right side of the grey carpeted panel. Once that panel is removed, you'll see what looks like one of the pictures attached. In order to remove the water filter, you should buy some 3/4" outer diameter water hose from home depot. It is sold in 10 foot lengths, but you'll only need a 14" piece. The inner diameter of the hose is 1/2". I got the clear hose, as they were out of the nylon reinforced hose, but either will work. you'll also need to get four hose clamps and a couple of 1/2" L-connectors to hook the new hose up with the old hose that will remain once the filter is disconnected. The needle valve is an Everbilt Needle Valve 1/4" part LFA-42. I believe this valve being installed will solve the potential problem of water being introduced into the air system, as the valve will be shut and disconnected from any water, once the water filter is removed. Also I found the Sporlan Valve and it is in fact behind the blue pressure tank, also located in this area. The picture of the Water Filter Air Regulator is just to let you know that this was installed, but I removed it, as not needed any longer. See the pictures for more detail.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Compartment.jpeg
Views:	56
Size:	34.6 KB
ID:	56233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Filter Air Regulalor.jpeg
Views:	48
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	56234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Filter.jpeg
Views:	46
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	56235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sporlan Valve.jpeg
Views:	49
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	56236  
Old 07-01-2018

Dan,

What do you mean by the water filter air regulator? There is an air regulator on the air purge line to assure you do not overpressure your water system if you blow it out that way. Is that what you are talking about? If so, you might want to leave that in. You wouldn't want to put 130 psi in your water system.
Old 07-01-2018

Ron,
So is that the regulator that was mounted to the Water Filter, and is one of the pictures that I posted? I never plan on using the purge line, so hopefully that did not serve another purpose. I thought the purge air line was the area that could cause a problem in that it could permit water into the air system.
Old 07-01-2018

Dan,

If the air pressure is down and the water pressure up, as when camping, a leaking check valve allows the water into the air regulator, back to the switch, and into the air system. I supsect that regulator you mentioned is for the air purge system, and it does put air into the water system right around that old filter, as I recall. I took the whole thing off and plugged the air lines, since you can accomplish the same thing with a two dollar fitting on your water inlet to add air. However, there you really have to watch pressure as there is no regulator. What many have done is put a valve in the air line, probably the better thing to do, and leave the regulator in line for protection when someone uses it. (like the next owner)
Old 07-01-2018

Ron,
Thank you so much for that simple explanation, as you confirmed what I thought. I am putting labels on the air purge system indicating non-operational, and I will place a big explanation into the buses electronic log indicating that if an air purge is necessary that the air pressure needs to be around 60 PSI. Do you know what that 2 dollar fitting is called, to insert air into the system, out of curiosity.
The entire water area is so easy to work with now that the filter is gone. The next thing I'm going to do is install a single water pump system, using the Shurflo 4048 pump in place of the old double pump system, which will make it even less cluttered.
Old 07-02-2018

Dan,

That fitting is a male hose plastic fitting with an air hose inlet like a schraeder valve.

Why would you replace two pumps with one? When it fails you have no backup. When I bought my '95 the tech at Parliament said to always leave both pumps on so when one fails you still have water. I pointed out to him you wouldn't know until both failed. Better to use the aviation backup method of using only one at a time, rotating now and then, so when one goes, you know to get another when you get around to it. He hadn't thought of that.

I have lately become an example of ignoring "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Gets costly. Oh well, got lots of new stuff on my bus.
Old 07-02-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrueckwald View Post
Dan,

That fitting is a male hose plastic fitting with an air hose inlet like a schraeder valve.

Why would you replace two pumps with one? When it fails you have no backup. When I bought my '95 the tech at Parliament said to always leave both pumps on so when one fails you still have water. I pointed out to him you wouldn't know until both failed. Better to use the aviation backup method of using only one at a time, rotating now and then, so when one goes, you know to get another when you get around to it. He hadn't thought of that.

I have lately become an example of ignoring "If it ain't broke, don't fix it." Gets costly. Oh well, got lots of new stuff on my bus.
hi ron
nothing wrong with new stuff ron,,
my wife like new stuff inside while i tend to want "get ya home new stuff" !!
even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile
washington Il.
Old 07-02-2018

Ron,
I hear you on negating the phrase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". I'm going with the one pump, as the two on the bus have lasted 20 years, with one just having gone out in the last six months, and the pumps have gotten even better in the last 20 years. The new pump even said an accumulator is not needed, so I'm thinking the blue tank could be removed. I'll probably buy a backup pump to keep just in case in years to come, as I can install one of these in about an hour. I hear you on the airplane backup thing, as I remember one plane I worked on had quadruple redundancy for some of the systems, which was way overkill.
Old 07-03-2018
95 WB 42

Some of the pumps you buy today , well , I've had 2 fail in the last year.
One was locked up out of the box. Other one lasted 9 months.
Careful what you do . It may be the QUALITY is'nt what it was 20 years ago. Two installed and spare in box , just saying.

1995 WB 42 Series 60
Perry Georgia
770-548-1441 cell