Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 04-20-2015
Geek

Default Setting up a Jeep GC for towing

Got a new Grand Cherokee, and needed everything done to get it ready for towing. My two previous toads were setup by professionals, the first in Arizona and the second nearby my home in Eureka, CA. That last guy is gone, and I couldn't find anybody locally willing to tackle the job and folks I talked to in places like Redding, CA wanted what I thought was an excessive amount. For example I was quoted a total for parts and labor of $4300 to do the Roadmaster base plates, Air Force One, and wiring the taillights. I'm not sure how high the price of the components were and how much was labor.

I found that I could get base plates, AFO second car kit, and roadmaster universal wiring kit for around $1200 total, and there is an anticipated $300 rebate from AFO. I kept my Liberty towable and didn't remove any parts - we'll use that if we ever go back to Alaska. Being an amateur I estimate I put in about 15 hours on the job. There were several difficult parts, including removing and replacing the front fascia, and the drilling of 4 1/2-inch holes in the steel - two in the internal bumper and two in the radiator mount.

You can see that I mounted a lot of stuff on the lower grill - the 6-pin plug, air connector, 2-pin connector (center) for the AFO indicator light, and the AFO breakaway mounted under the passenger-side bracket so that it can be turned outward in use or folded back under when not towing. The indicator LED strip is mounted to the roadmaster crossmember (not shown) so that it is visible in the rear-view camera.

All-in-all it was a worthwhile DYI project, both for the savings and the sense of satisfaction!

Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-20-2015
RV Appraiser

Sometimes the sense of satisfaction outweighs the the cost savings but in the end it was still worth it, I guess it is all part of owning a bird. Good job...
Louisville, KY/Jeffersonville, IN
2000 Jeep Cherokee
Our Blog
Our Location
https://allwheelappraisals.com/
Email or call only - please do not send PM

johns.mcginnis @ hotmail.com
502-417-5681
.,=====o00
//___l__,\____\,___
l_--- \___l----[]lllllll[]
_(o)_)___(o)_)--o-)_
Old 04-20-2015
1995 WB 42’ Series 60

Looks good Don, Great work. should be a good tow vehicle.
Please use e mail instead of Private Message
Mallie@EuLake.com
Old 04-20-2015

It's always a great feeling when a project comes together. Pro looking install Don!
I'd get some model rocket noses painted red, just to make people wonder
Brooks, GA
Kip Cindy & Cody
678-523-7920