Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted

Toads and Trailers General discussion and For Sale or Wanted Toads general discussion and list your Toads or Trailers and others that you have found For Sale and Wanted and also discussions about them here.

Site Search:

Old 09-29-2016

I inherited a car hauler trailer from my dad. He used it for his Model A. It was sufficient for that but he had overloaded it at some point and it was bowed down in the back. The bend was just in front of the forward spring hanger. Right at the point where the V- shaped tongue ended The vertical portion of the 1/4 inch angle iron frame frame actually stretched. I made this much worse pulling it with too much weight towards the rear. I had two dirt bikes loaded sideways up front with my Ford Explorer on the back. The stretched angle iron eventually cracked and required repair. We unloaded the Explorer and my wife drove it for the rest of the trip. We made it home and I went to work with the torch. Cut out the stretched metal. Straightened the frame by blocking on the corners and weight in the middle. Welded the gap up where the metal was removed. I then bought steel for bracing the side rails. Welded this to the vertical portion of side rails.
Buttoned it all back up with paint and it's better than new now. I did add some weight to the trailer but I don't believe it's excessive.

If money was no object, a new Featherlight Aluminum car hauler would replace it but until somebody makes me King, then I'll make do with what I've got. It also reminds me of my Dad and his Model A every time I use it.

96 BMC 40' Sold
2008 HaulMark Super C S&S
Freightliner Chassis w/ 515hp S60 & 12sp Ultrashift
Old 09-30-2016
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Max that's where mine bent as well. I would of thought the support of the axles at the spring mount points would have helped prevent the bending, but it doesn't. Seems they always bend right at that point where the double frame ends.

As far as aluminum... I for owe fear them. When steel doesn't hold up how can you trust/rely on aluminum? It's not as strong unless you almost double the thickness and it seems to have less tolerance to flex than steel does. Guess I'm just old school. When my trailer breaks I simply break out the old welder and fix it. Not so much with aluminum, that goes to real pro.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 10-02-2016

Mike.

Rather than buying a larger winch, can you use a block and tackle set up, ie hook a pulley on the rails, and run the cable back to the winch? Will double the pulling power. Will only load at 1/2 the speed though. Might have to do a couple times, if the cable is not long enough. I like CHEAP!

Melvin and Charlene Pierce
Scranton, ND
"Smoke N Mirrors" Royale Conversion
1990 PT40WB
Old 10-02-2016

We have loaded a many a vehicle with a 6000# Warn. Some of them weighing over 7000 lbs and also vehicles that didn't roll so well . On the harder ones we used a ****** block pulley set-up . You need the larger winches for extracting vehicles from deep mud or winching up hills . We use the ****** blocks to make it easier on the winches in those hard to pull scenarios .
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "For the Birds"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW
Old 10-02-2016
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

Yea.. been there done that. WOG is blocking the term "sn**ch-block" so let's use block and tackle?

I added a block & tackle to the 3500 lb winch but still would not pull up a 1,000 sand trail on a 2' high bed with 3' ramps at almost 45 degrees. remember to also de-rate your winch depending on how many line raps are on the drum. I actually bought a second pulley system and line extentions but haven't tried them yet.

I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on this;

$399 - Smittybilt 97412 XRC (12,000 Gen2 Winch) - (bang-4-buck)

4.3/5 stars with 19 reviews, 6.6 hp 3-stage motor with a 5yr electric, lifetime mechanical warranty. It weighs 83 lbs, IP67 water rating, a 12' remote, 3-stage planetary gear, 193.2:1 ratio, and a 79' 3/8" steel cable w/4-way fairlead rollers.

I'm not looking for wireless remote controls nor synthetic lines. Both nice but want to keep it simple, reliable, and lower cost. My old wireless broke, I fixed it then lost the remote unit so had to ADD a remote controlled wired system The synthetic is nice in many ways but won't outlast the steel due to UV and nicks/damage that will reduce it's life AND you can't just add synthetic to any winch, it should be "designed" for that.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 10-02-2016

12,000 should get-r-done
318-553-4186
1994 BMC 37' "For the Birds"
2004 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
1986 F150
KE5WCW