Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG Gear

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > For Sale Or Wanted > Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc.

Towbars, Hitches and Braking Systems for your Toads, etc. Questions, concerns, or suggestions regarding what equipment to use to tow your Toad with are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 02-19-2019

Default uneven tire wear

I'm a newbie pulling a toad. After about 1500 miles, I'm seeing that the outside driver's side tire & inside passenger side tire are wearing more than the rest of the wheel, so I'm thinking that the toad is being pulled off-center. I have the steering unlocked, so the steer wheels are turning on corners (I've had an observer corroborate this). Is there some kind of adjustment I can make on the tow-bar?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 02-19-2019

what are you pulling? Maybe it has that jeep wobble
www.ernieekbergflooring.net
Old 02-19-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
I'm a newbie pulling a toad. After about 1500 miles, I'm seeing that the outside driver's side tire & inside passenger side tire are wearing more than the rest of the wheel, so I'm thinking that the toad is being pulled off-center. I have the steering unlocked, so the steer wheels are turning on corners (I've had an observer corroborate this). Is there some kind of adjustment I can make on the tow-bar?
There is no Tow Bar adjustments. Perhaps your Base Plate was installed improperly or the front end is out of alignment or worn so bad it cant be towed in it condition. All just guesses since we don't know the type vehicle, mileage or condition of suspension.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 02-19-2019

Thanks, Rick it probably is the baseplate. It's a 2002 Subaru Forester. Suspension & steering all OK, no uneven wear while not being towed (did the "paint stripe" test). I had it installed by a repair shop while they were doing some other work. The towbar is a Ready Brute Elite, two separate tow arms, so I don't think that's the problem.
The base "plate" is actually 2 pieces bolted to the chassis (through existing bolt holes), two angled arms held in place by cotter pins, then a cross member bolted in place that receives the tow bar. I should be able to adjust the cross piece, but can't wrap my mind around if it should be in or out or side to side. I don't think it would be one side up or down, as the towbar swivels vertically.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0684.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	60292  
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 02-19-2019

Does the car pull to the right when you drive it? My guess is the wheel isn’t returning quite to center after turning. Just guessing.
Old 02-20-2019
Gardner

The alignment of the base plate (or the components permanently attached to the car) would be the first place I would look, aside from the actual car wheel alignment.

I would check the installation of the components bolted to the car (frame?).
There is one on the right and one on the left. Are they identical or is there a right and left one, could they be reversed? Or not properly installed?

If correctly installed, a line drawn along the center of the coach and car should be straight as in the top pair. If the attachment points are not parallel to the front axle of the car it would look like the second drawing. (exaggerated a bit)
In actual towing the car would straighten out but not be inline with the center of the coach causing unwanted forces on the tires, etc. This would definitely cause tire wear which could be similar to your experience,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TowBar-1.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	60306  
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey

Last edited by gcyeaw; 02-20-2019 at 03:19 PM.