Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 04-15-2019

Default Preemptive Strike on the Head Gasket...

I made the appointment with Cummins, Boise to have the head gasket changed. I hate to spend the money when there is only seepage in the back where the failure occurs, but at least I won’t have to think about it anymore...
Jeep TJ Toad - LS 5.3 swap in process
Old 04-15-2019

Did you hear the "seepage"? On what cylinder?
Old 04-15-2019

Hey Chris -- did you go looking for the seepage based on others' experience or were there other symptoms that led you to look? My 380 is still "all original" with 175,000 miles (including 4th gear downshift for retarder) and runs strong with no temp issues, although I haven't done any mountains yet. PO (he bought it new) used the coach for business and, while he was rigorous about maintenance and repairs, he wasn't an "aficionado" like most WOGers so everything is pretty much as it came from the factory. I wonder if I'm just lucky or if I'm living on borrowed time. The thought has crossed my mind to be pre-emptive, but given that this thing has 175,000 miles crisscrossing all corners of the U.S., I'm wondering how much I should worry.

Good luck with the repair!
Jim
Old 04-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Did you hear the "seepage"? On what cylinder?
It isn't seeping compression, I have oil seeping out fairly significantly around the #6 cylinder head gasket. I can't see the protruding gasket, but I'm not willing to let it go, on the off chance that it could fail. It is cheaper to just have it changed. I will have peace of mind, and all new gaskets above the head.
Old 04-15-2019

Hi Chris, Please take a pic of the head gasket, I would it like to compare to mine and a few other ISL “removed” head gaskets.
Thanks
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 04-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexspeed View Post
Hey Chris -- did you go looking for the seepage based on others' experience or were there other symptoms that led you to look? My 380 is still "all original" with 175,000 miles (including 4th gear downshift for retarder) and runs strong with no temp issues, although I haven't done any mountains yet. PO (he bought it new) used the coach for business and, while he was rigorous about maintenance and repairs, he wasn't an "aficionado" like most WOGers so everything is pretty much as it came from the factory. I wonder if I'm just lucky or if I'm living on borrowed time. The thought has crossed my mind to be pre-emptive, but given that this thing has 175,000 miles crisscrossing all corners of the U.S., I'm wondering how much I should worry.

Good luck with the repair!
Jim

I have been keeping an eye on it for the last few years and it keeps me from feeling comfortable when I'm out on the road away from home. I learned of the issue from the forums and from other's experiences. I can't speak to your likelihood of having a failure, but I think most that have failed, failed under 100k miles, if I remember correctly.

Last edited by AEmedic; 04-15-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-15-2019

I had my HG replaced at 27k, had a small coolant leak.
Body #234
"Smooth Ride"
Full Timing with 2 cats
214-729-1384
Old 04-15-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dc2x4drvr View Post
Hi Chris, Please take a pic of the head gasket, I would it like to compare to mine and a few other ISL “removed” head gaskets.
Thanks
I am going to keep the gasket, I will post pictures once I have it.
Old 04-18-2019

At least once a year I take mine into Cummings for service and ask them to check the headgasket along with everything else and so far they haven't found a problem save a leaking valve cover gasket a few years ago which they changed. If my memory serves me when I talked to the Cummings regional engineer years ago, before he stopped answering my calls which i think was motivated by someone higher up, he asked me to give him my serial number and when I did he said my engine was not subject to the headgasket problem. I can only hope is was right. Anyway the significance of his statement only reinforced my belief that Cummings knew of the problem and remained silent rather than initiate a recall.
Old 04-18-2019

I'm not surprised that they may have known, I wonder how much they saved themselves by ignoring the problem...

I ordered a pyrometer from ISSPRO and will have the probe installed in the manifold before the turbo, since the manifold will be off anyway. That will give me one more way to keep track of what the engine is doing under load.