Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
WOG YouTube

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 07-10-2014

Default adding extra driving or fog lights

Wondering how difficult it would be to add another set of Driving lights mounted somewhere in front or on the Roof. Rigid makes special little box like driving lights that can be mounted anywhere that I have used on my little Ford camping van.

Given what I think is the complex nature of the Bird dashboard, I don't really want to potentially open a can of worms just to add additional lights when this is just a whim to add them.

It was easy to do in other vehicles as the on/off switch can be mounted anywhere and the power hookups were easy on my other camper van.

Any opinions as to if this may be easy to do or.....?

I would be adding it to a 1982 FC33
Looking for 87 (FC or PT)
4x4 Sportsmobile 7.3
Old 07-10-2014

Default driving lights

Jeffrey , I installed led lights for driving, first I removed old fog lights. I then put led flat front facing rope and rectangular led lights. I used fog wiring but control it with ignition on circuit, that way lights on with engine.
Riveted
Old 07-10-2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by copescobra View Post
Wondering how difficult it would be to add another set of Driving lights mounted somewhere in front or on the Roof. Rigid makes special little box like driving lights that can be mounted anywhere that I have used on my little Ford camping van.

Given what I think is the complex nature of the Bird dashboard, I don't really want to potentially open a can of worms just to add additional lights when this is just a whim to add them.

It was easy to do in other vehicles as the on/off switch can be mounted anywhere and the power hookups were easy on my other camper van.

Any opinions as to if this may be easy to do or.....?

I would be adding it to a 1982 FC33
You need to be careful about light placement on the front of a vehicle. There are restrictions of what height they can be placed. That is why you see Jeeps or other 4x4s that have lights on a bar on the roof or other locations that have covers over them. The covers make them legal to drive on the road. If you uncover them, while on the road, you are leaving yourself subject to getting a ticket. And don't ask me what heights are for your state but you can check your local BMV laws. If you stay reasonably close to the placement of the current headlights or below, you will most likely be fine.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-10-2014
Forum owner

the old AC box on the roof would make a good place to mount lights,gut the box out and put lights inside.
Use the fan switch for the AC to power the lights.
But,as Jim says,it may not be legal.

And,this was Crits idea that i stole!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-11-2014
Gardner

Don't drill a hole in the dash. The electroluminescent dash lighting will be destroyed if you do. Even if yours is not working it is probably the power supplies and not the dash that is at fault.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
2018 Python Mobility Scooter
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 07-11-2014

This is Indiana's law on headlights. Like I said every state's law may be different, but I would assume they would be close to the same. It's not as if you can just move it because you cross a line someplace.

IC 9-19-6-3
Number, location, and height of head lamps
Sec. 3. (a) A motor vehicle other than a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle must be equipped with at least two (2) head lamps, with at least one (1) of the head lamps on each side of the front of the motor vehicle. The head lamps must comply with this chapter.
(b) Except as provided in subsection (c), a motorcycle and motor-driven cycle must be equipped with at least one (1) and not more than two (2) head lamps that comply with this chapter.
(c) A motorcycle manufactured before January 1, 1956, is not required to be equipped with a head lamp if the motorcycle is not operated at the times when lighted head lamps and other illuminating devices are required under IC 9-21-7-2.
(d) A head lamp upon a motor vehicle, including a motorcycle and motor-driven cycle, must be located at a height measured from the center of the head lamp of not less than twenty-four (24) inches and not more than fifty-four (54) inches to be measured as set forth in section 2(b) of this chapter.

Then you have other kinds of lamps that also have restrictions.

Fog lamps
Sec. 14. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than two (2) fog lamps mounted on the front at a height not less than twelve (12) inches and not more than thirty (30) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. The fog lamps must be aimed so that when the vehicle is not loaded, none of the high-intensity part of the light to the left of the center of the vehicle will at a distance of twenty-five (25) feet ahead project higher than a level of four (4) inches below the level of the center of the lamp from which the light comes. Lighted fog lamps meeting these requirements may be used with lower head lamp beams as specified in section 20(2) of this chapter.

IC 9-19-6-15
Auxiliary passing lamps
Sec. 15. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than one (1) auxiliary passing lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than twenty-four (24) inches and not more than forty-two (42) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Section 20 of this chapter applies to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary passing lamp.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

IC 9-19-6-16
Auxiliary driving lamps
Sec. 16. A motor vehicle may be equipped with not more than one (1) auxiliary driving lamp mounted on the front at a height not less than sixteen (16) inches and not more than forty-two (42) inches above the level surface upon which the vehicle stands. Section 20 of this chapter applies to any combination of head lamps and auxiliary driving lamp.
As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.7.

It has been thirty five years since I have worried about "traffic laws" since I spent the last twenty five as a detective, but I do recall some of the stuff. If you read the above sections you will see that Aux. Passing and Driving lamps only allow you to have one. If I recall correctly this excludes vehicles that were manufactured with two and only applies to add ons. As an example, Harley Davidson puts two passing lamps on their bikes. Many cars and trucks have two daytime driving lights. There are also exceptions for snow removal equipment. So, the laws become really bothersome for most cops and are only used if "needed."

Finally, I have two auxiliary lights on my Jeep. They are mounted on the windshield by the mirrors. I didn't put them there, but where on the Jeep when I bought it. They are too high and they are not covered. Am I worried about being stopped for it. Obviously not, or I wouldn't still have them. So where am I going with all this? Just information and nothing more. Technically you may not be legal. You can get a ticket if you run into a p***k. Especially, if you have them on and they become an issue for another driver. Which I have seen myself.

Jim and Michele Walters
2000 LX ME 2020 to Present
'93 WLWB 2008 to 2020
Bluebird of Happiness
2021 Rubicon Unlimited
2002 Silverado Diesel 2500 HD 4x4
260-224-1278
Old 07-11-2014
Forum owner

Good info Jim!
Thanks.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 07-11-2014

Default Light Bars on top

Thanks Jim good info.

Randy's suggestion of up on the roof is the perfect place for an LED light bar.

I love the LED light bars they now make in various sizes, as they draw very few amps and are perfect for campsites with focused or broad coverage.

A lot of people put them on the Passenger side to light up the campsite.

FYI- I think Rigid Industries makes the best one's not cheap but will not fail you or breakdown.
Looking for 87 (FC or PT)
4x4 Sportsmobile 7.3
Old 07-11-2014

I seen those Rigid LED units on Woot.com from time to time.

Ken - Austin, Texas -
'94 34' Safari Serengeti sold - Mom remarried @71 and they upgraded to a newer Coach w/Slides

(HDT Coach or BMC & Stacker for me in the future.)