Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 02-17-2019
Geek

Your understanding of how it is *supposed* to work is correct. The only electrical operation would be the valves, which are part of the manifold in the second bay, along with the power running the slide computer. The non-air strut is not fully extended in the lower position, so is continuing to push up and would work just fine with the air assist to continue to move the door up.

If Doug's system actually works it will be the first that I've heard of. My understanding is that the BB engineers found it problematic and did not activate it in most or all coaches.

You can easily pull the door up to the final stop manually. I've done that when working on the Hurricane, propping it up for more working headroom, and I show it that way in my second picture above.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 02-17-2019

Thanks Don, your answer makes perfect sense when you say that's the way they're suppose to work. In an attempt to create ease and luxury BB (and SOBs) over engineer and the more complex, the more parts, the more stuff will malfunction and break. That's why I by-passed the computer in my rear slide. It doesn't take a genius to know that computers will malfunction especially when exposed to heat, cold, moisture and bouncing around roads and why would you need a computer to activate a motor and jack screw when you can flip a toggle switch. It seems to me instead of an air-assist mechanism a better solution for the bay doors would have been a simple mechanical latch that can be manually unlatched when the slide is in allowing the door to move up the last few inches. Every time I see one of those near two million dollar coaches with everything operated by an IPad like controller I think about how many times the systems will fail. Last year a RV park owner told me about a guy with a brand new $1.5M coach who couldn't get out because the front door was pneumatically operated via a computer that malfunctioned and he had to get in touch with the factory to find how to override it, but was stuck for over an hour.
Old 02-18-2019

My assist does work, but not super well. If I open more than one door, it seems to limit the assist throw. As if the air source for them is shared. I am guessing the slide seal air is provided to the assist mechanisms. I removed the tubing and there wasn't a lot of pressure. I did not go and check if this affected the slide seal pressure. It certainly isn't full system pressure.

Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 02-18-2019
Geek

The door assist air comes off the manifold before the seal adjustment valve, so it should have the full slide pressure.
Prior: 2004 M380 Double Slide
Prior: 1990 WB40 "Blue Thunder"
My location: www.bbirdmaps.com/user2.cfm?user=1
Old 04-15-2019

I finally installed my travel limiter on the front driver's side bay door.

It limits about 1" of travel of the gas struts, which equates to 3" or so at the end of the door and prevents contact of the door with my slide.

As mentioned prior, I have the right struts installed, but they create too much travel. This is with the air assist - off, which usually works, but not when the slide is deployed.

The limiter is made from coated stainless steel braided wire, maybe 1/16" thick, like you might use for fishing tackle.

The plastic coating has a brown tint. You can see where I installed it. In each case, I wrapped in around the bolt with a washer and tightened.

This one is licked... for now

Doug
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	THlub9JdRPuRZ18p8Ilx+A.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	197.1 KB
ID:	61345   Click image for larger version

Name:	6Fu5CfoRS0mOUQuUaC9ZBg.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	61346