Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions

Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach's Tires, Wheels, Brakes, Steering and Suspensions and related components.

Site Search:

Old 06-02-2015

Default Airbag Adjustment

Greetings all!

So I'm taking the bird out of storage to get ready for a Bluegrass festival in two weeks.

Everything started up fine but... the front airbags would not inflate. I read all the forum threads and ordered a new Haldex height adjusting leveler, Williams valve and low pressure switch. I installed the new leveler and I'm waiting for the other items. By the way, I had the coach close to perfectly leveled last year.

I started up the coach and the front bags started to air up but the coach now has a pronounced lean to the left, from front to back. Because of some road work in front of my home I can't really take the coach off the property yet.

I have a question for the group:

For those that have done a lot of leveling adjustments, will the coach "try" to adjust back to its "settings" (the ones I set last year) just by driving it around? If so, how much "correction" have you seen with your own coaches?

I would say the left to right lean difference is now around 3 inches. The coach is sitting on mildly crowned gravel under a shelter...

Thanks!

Steve
Old 06-03-2015
Administrator

Dump and air up a few times, this may help, the leveling rods in the rear may have become disconnected, , is an air bag leaking??
Old 06-03-2015

check the driver side air bags ,tag axle and drive . If you are low on the driver side you most likely are high on the curb side .If this is the case, by lowering the curb side the drive side will rise. But I would think over the winter you developed a leak on a air bag like Bill said . good luck

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 06-03-2015
Gardner

If the coach is not on a level surface it can lean noticeably, Plus it will be impossible to get it adjusted right. Wait till you can get it on a level surface. I'll bet it is fine. The rear levelers do the lean, the front only the front height (assuming you have two in the rear and one in the front)
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-03-2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcyeaw View Post
If the coach is not on a level surface it can lean noticeably, Plus it will be impossible to get it adjusted right. Wait till you can get it on a level surface. I'll bet it is fine. The rear levelers do the lean, the front only the front height (assuming you have two in the rear and one in the front)
a bad air bag on the rear will drop the front !! Hopefully your correct Gardner but still worth checking I would think

2000 LXI Single Slide (sold)
1999 Prevost Vantare 45

Ormond Beach, Florida
PLEASE DO NOT PM ME
alperna@yahoo.com
386 290 3444
www.fastcubes.com
Old 06-03-2015

Default Airbag adjustment

How great is this, I post overnight and wake up to informed, helpful responses to my question. I love this site...

So, all the airbags have air in them and no leaks anywhere that I can hear. I also hit them all with soapy water and it looks good.

I'm hoping Garner's guess is the right one! I'm going to take the coach out when the roadwork clears and get to a level place, then check level and report back...

By the way here is what I did to trouble shoot the front airbag problem for other's who might have the problem...

I loosened the bottom flare nut (the input air source) on the height adjuster to see if I was getting air into the adjuster (I was). Then I took off the output air flare nut (the middle fitting) and actuated the leveling arm up and down a few times. There is a "sweet spot" where you get maximum air out of the device and in my case there wasn't much air coming out.

I took the new adjuster and supplied compressed air to the input port while actuating the arm before installing it into the coach. There was a big difference in the amount of air coming out.

The point is, the adjuster failed without any external signs and no leaking air as well.

Thanks everyone!

Steve
Old 06-03-2015

Default Airbag Adjustment

So I just snuck in a test-drive and I didn't hit any CalTrans workers, hurray!

Got to a level spot and tested. The coach did sort itself out a little bit but its low on the driver's side front and high in the right rear back. Sounds perfect for an adjustment doesn't it!

I think I'm going to go with new height adjusters all the way around and then adjust for level...

Thanks,

Steve

PS. Does anyone know what the Bendix low pressure relay (30 PSI) does on the small 3 port manifold in the front airbag system?
Old 06-03-2015
Gardner

There is a thick filling in the unit mechanism that acts as a delay so the valve is not continuously using air to adjust for normal suspension action. So over time that stuff can deteriorate and alter the reaction/action delay or even cause the valve to work very weakly. Take the old one apart and you sill see what I mean. Nothing more than two Schrader valves and a pivot plus the delay mechanism.
78 FC 33 Happinest (Sold)
Ridgewood, New Jersey
Old 06-03-2015

Default Airbag adjustment

Hi Gardner,

Are you talking about the height adjuster here? My question was about the small Bendix switch on top of a multi-port manifold...

Thanks,

Steve
Old 06-03-2015
Forum owner

Al,dump the tag axle air bags and then set the ride heights,you have lots of pressure in the tag bags.
its hard to adjust with the tag aired up.
Be careful under that bird!

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com