Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > Tool Tips

Tool Tips Here you will finds tips on using old tools, as well as the latest in new tools that you can use on your 'Bird's projects.

Site Search:

Old 12-20-2018

Stick welding with a tiny machine is for the birds. A 110v MIG from Miller or Lincoln (or Hobart) will do what you want with ease and the newer Chicom units work pretty well, too. You can't burn 1/2 plates in a single pass, but they will blow holes through 1/8" steel. If you don't want to drag a tank out for something then just load up flux core wire into the MIG.

Nowadays you could probably pick up a Syncrowave 250 for chump change, but it's not very portable and won't run on 110v!
Old 12-20-2018

Please take this in the spirit it's intended, forum posts are easily misread. I don't want to come across as the welding police.

I personally wouldn't weld anything remotely safety related, such as axle hangers, with a bargain basement welder. I get it for patching stuff on the road. But if you have access to good stuff use it for the critical applications.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 12-20-2018

If it was me, I'd look on craigslist and buy a name brand unit produced in the last few years from someone who barely used it. (Lincoln or miller) get a demo that shows it is working right. You probably will get shielding gas thrown in, which is a great benefit.
That will save you 50% easy.

I have a 220V / 175 amp MIG by Miller and a chinese made inverter TIG, 250 amp (everlast) that I bought new for about 1/2 the price of the miller with the same features. From what I remember of my research at the time, Everlast makes industrial grade machines. You might look at their low end MIG to see the price point.
Ex-PT36
Old 12-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeboy57 View Post
Please take this in the spirit it's intended, forum posts are easily misread. I don't want to come across as the welding police.

I personally wouldn't weld anything remotely safety related, such as axle hangers, with a bargain basement welder. I get it for patching stuff on the road. But if you have access to good stuff use it for the critical applications.

No worries at all, no offense taken. This is a dinghy trailer that hauls a boat from the yard right next door to the ramp, not an over the road trailer.

Instagram
Old 12-20-2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
If it was me, I'd look on craigslist and buy a name brand unit produced in the last few years from someone who barely used it. (Lincoln or miller) get a demo that shows it is working right. You probably will get shielding gas thrown in, which is a great benefit.
That will save you 50% easy.

I have a 220V / 175 amp MIG by Miller and a chinese made inverter TIG, 250 amp (everlast) that I bought new for about 1/2 the price of the miller with the same features. From what I remember of my research at the time, Everlast makes industrial grade machines. You might look at their low end MIG to see the price point.

That's a good call, I'll scope out CL and FB Marketplace, I just don't really know what makes a good machine and what doesn't. I know some of the bottom end Lincolns are getting huge negative reviews..are the Millers a safe bet across the board?

Thanks again for all the input.

Instagram
Old 12-20-2018

Everyone, Lincoln and Miller included makes entry level (read low end) machines. They have to to have a price point. If you just want a little stick welder the one you show in your first post is fine. If it were me, I would go with a gas capable 110v MIG and just use flux core wire if you don't want to carry a gas bottle (although they make small ones)
I have a Hobart Handler 135 and it has served me very well. I am a hobby welder, but have had the machine for 10 years with no issues. I use gas but it will run flux core too.
If you go with a gas capable machine you have options. That little machine in your first post is DC TIG and no foot pedal so steel only and constant current. Don't bother buying a TIG torch for that unit. You wont like it.

MIG. Easy, very low learning curve.
Stick. Better keep those rods dry!
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 12-21-2018
Burnin Up in Az. :-)

I bought a small Harbor Freight MIG welder to learn with for $115 on sell. It's 120v 125a unit. It's small, cheap, works, and fits in my small FC storage bays. It was even used off my generator to repair John Finns generator slide once in Arizona after a tree attacked him at our White Tanks rally.

Keep in mind it is cheap, but it works! Duty cycle is only 20% at 90a and I've had it stop and needed to cool down, but so does my $500 Miller unit too. It's good with 1/8" material I typically weld with it.
eMail=Mike.Putz@cox.net | Web=http://mikeputz.com/
Solar = https://www.solarpenny.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=257

FMCA #236459, Good Sam #17270530, Vintage Birds #1509
Old 12-21-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtpn60 View Post
I bought a small Harbor Freight MIG welder to learn with for $115 on sell. It's 120v 125a unit. It's small, cheap, works, and fits in my small FC storage bays. It was even used off my generator to repair John Finns generator slide once in Arizona after a tree attacked him at our White Tanks rally.

Keep in mind it is cheap, but it works! Duty cycle is only 20% at 90a and I've had it stop and needed to cool down, but so does my $500 Miller unit too. It's good with 1/8" material I typically weld with it.

I think this machine is what Pete Haggins had in Montana when we fixed his bike lift,he had a goldwing on the lift,not sure why the lift was broken but we went to a shop and bought some angle iron and beefed up the lift,doing the welding in the costco parking lot.
I think we found the machine was a little small and a few days later he bought the next size up at HF.
Maybe he just wanted another welder? I don't remember.
But,we got the bike rack fixed up and we were not slowed down but a few hours.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-21-2018

I really like my Hobart Handler 140.. parts and supplies are available at any Tractor Supply store or online. This past year, I made a set of pit rails at the barn, along with steps and other components. It's perfectly sized for steel up to around 3/16". It can certainly handle 1/4" and is great for art projects too.

https://www.amazon.com/Hobart-500559.../dp/B009X43F38
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180511_105835703.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	59614   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180511_105810773.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	59615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20180705_181449732.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	59616   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horseshoe projects 022.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	81.1 KB
ID:	59617   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horseshoe projects 007.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	59618   Click image for larger version

Name:	Horseshoe projects 009.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	59619  

"Savor the wine of youth, for it is a drink that can be consumed only once”
shanefedeli@gmail.com
717-645-4912
Old 12-21-2018
Forum owner

Shanes right,the Hobart Handler is a great machine,i have had a couple in the last 30 years.
We hauled one to the races for years,they do a good job.
Thats my choice for a small machine.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com