Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters

HVAC, Air Conditioners, Aqua Hot, Primus, Webasto, Chassis Heaters, Furnaces and Water Heaters Questions and information about the wide variety of Heating and Air Conditioning as well as Water Heater systems available are discussed here.

Site Search:

Old 12-28-2018

" The Eaton SPST rocker switch is rated for 16 amps 250 VAC, I have not been able to convert this to a 12 VDC rating, but I suspect it will not meet the run current load of 7.8 amps, although it has conducted the load so far without failing. Switch life could become a problem"

Amps and Volts don't convert. Think of the 2 ratings a seperate.

1.The switch can handle up to 16 amps before it fries the contacts. (This has to do with wire size or the size of the contacts. Voltage is not considered)

2. The switch can handle up to 250vac before it jumps the contacts with an arc.( This has to do with the spacing of the contacts when the switch is open. Amps are not considered)

The only weak point I see based on your description is the 10amp fuse. Normally you want 1.5x to 2x the normal load. If it stops working after a time and blows the fuse I would go back to a 15amp

If you have a significant voltage drop do to wire run length a relay could be added but I would not do it just to take the load off one set of contacts (switch) and put it on another set of contacts (relay)
87 FC35 "Old School"
RShrimp@Yahoo.com
Old 12-28-2018
Forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshrimp View Post
" The Eaton SPST rocker switch is rated for 16 amps 250 VAC, I have not been able to convert this to a 12 VDC rating, but I suspect it will not meet the run current load of 7.8 amps, although it has conducted the load so far without failing. Switch life could become a problem"

Amps and Volts don't convert. Think of the 2 ratings a seperate.

1.The switch can handle up to 16 amps before it fries the contacts. (This has to do with wire size or the size of the contacts. Voltage is not considered)

2. The switch can handle up to 250vac before it jumps the contacts with an arc.( This has to do with the spacing of the contacts when the switch is open. Amps are not considered)

The only weak point I see based on your description is the 10amp fuse. Normally you want 1.5x to 2x the normal load. If it stops working after a time and blows the fuse I would go back to a 15amp

If you have a significant voltage drop do to wire run length a relay could be added but I would not do it just to take the load off one set of contacts (switch) and put it on another set of contacts (relay)

I never thought about the voltage jumping the contacts,thanks for that reply Randy.

Randy Dupree
2000 LXI 43
Bainbridge,Ga.
Port St Joe Fl.
www.buybyebluebird.com

randy@randydupree.com
Old 12-28-2018

There is a difference between AC and DC in the problem of arcing when the circuit is broken. The exact difference is beyond my pay grade. I think it is a bigger problem with DC.
Old 12-28-2018

Thanks to all for the replies, this is how it wound up. I satisfied myself the switch would be okay and comfortably carry the load. Arcing would not be a problem because I will never turn the dash switch off under load while the diesel burner is operating as a routine, only in an emergency condition. The controller needs to shutdown the burner, purge and then go to standby in response to the control thermostat reaching its set point and stopping the enable signal. What bothered me after the switch situation is the dash wiring, it is small maybe 18 awg maybe smaller. Lifted the dash again and opened up the front nose panel to try and trace the wires, but its conglomeration of countless bundled wires. The dash switch wire bundle goes to one of the cannon plugs where it transitions to 14 awg on the opposite plug. This small wire size just bothers me having had a 1974 Grand Prix burn to the ground from an electrical fire back in '79, so I have a healthy respect, call it fear of electricity and I didn't sleep in the car either. So, I isolated the main power feed circuit from the dash switch circuit with another relay, so much for the KISS principal, but what about that principal applies to a Blue Bird anyway? Thanks for bringing this up Randy when responding to Dick, don't know why I overlooked it when I changed my dash switch to resolve a voltage drop. Maybe the LXI has a relay in the dash switch circuit already, Dick you'll have to figure that out, but my WB did not. End of story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0991.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	59687  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Aqua Hot Wiring Diagram.pdf (385.6 KB, 47 views)

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 12-28-2018

I don’t have a Webasto,yet, so I don’t officially have a dog in this fight but on behalf of those that do...THANKS FOR THE TIME AND THOUGHT THAT WENT INTO THAT DIAGRAM.

Bob Sumners
1993 WB
1983 PT35 Sold
Old 01-15-2019

Default Relay provides 12 volts to Beckett Controller

After installing new bearings in the blower housing, fuel solenoid rebuild kit, new fuel pump, nozzle riser and new Sauer Danfoss nozzle, the Webasto burner showed signs of low rpms along with some black smoke.

Again, following Andy's lead, I installed a 30 amp automotive relay toggled by the new dash switch provided by Dupree Products and no more voltage drop along with zero smoke. Voltage measured at the input pin to the Beckett Controller is now a solid 13.25 volts with the blower motor/fuel pump running.

The purge cycle following burner shutoff by the control thermostat lasted exactly 2 minutes as called for in the specs.

See a couple of pics of temporary wiring job to the 30 amp relay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyfisher View Post
Thanks to all for the replies, this is how it wound up. I satisfied myself the switch would be okay and comfortably carry the load. Arcing would not be a problem because I will never turn the dash switch off under load while the diesel burner is operating as a routine, only in an emergency condition. The controller needs to shutdown the burner, purge and then go to standby in response to the control thermostat reaching its set point and stopping the enable signal. What bothered me after the switch situation is the dash wiring, it is small maybe 18 awg maybe smaller. Lifted the dash again and opened up the front nose panel to try and trace the wires, but its conglomeration of countless bundled wires. The dash switch wire bundle goes to one of the cannon plugs where it transitions to 14 awg on the opposite plug. This small wire size just bothers me having had a 1974 Grand Prix burn to the ground from an electrical fire back in '79, so I have a healthy respect, call it fear of electricity and I didn't sleep in the car either. So, I isolated the main power feed circuit from the dash switch circuit with another relay, so much for the KISS principal, but what about that principal applies to a Blue Bird anyway? Thanks for bringing this up Randy when responding to Dick, don't know why I overlooked it when I changed my dash switch to resolve a voltage drop. Maybe the LXI has a relay in the dash switch circuit already, Dick you'll have to figure that out, but my WB did not. End of story.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3868.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	188.2 KB
ID:	59856   Click image for larger version

Name:	HPIM3870.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	197.8 KB
ID:	59857  
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 01-15-2019

I’ve been wondering about you Dick, glad to hear your project was successful.

Andy & Jean Harmon
Dakota (our Aussie traveling buddy)
Beverly Hills, FL
1996 WB42 (SOLD)
Old 06-13-2019

Thanks Andy and Dick for being the pioneers, and taking the time to post the schematic. I made this mod on our coach to replace a finicky Webasto controller.

I want to add to this thread a couple of things for others making the mod to think about. used the existing ignition coil only because it was still working.

One, looking at Andy’s schematic, you will need to tap into the temp control thermostat and the high limit thermostat that are buried in boiler housing. If you just want to splice into those snap action thermostats, then orange and white are the leads for the temp control tstat, and light blue and light purple are the leads for the high limit thermostat.

Second, given that the main power lead for the Beckett goes through the on/off switch and the hi limit thermostat, I decided to use that wiring to activate a relay to minimize the potential of voltage drop to the Beckett.

Three, as Andy did, I rewired the motor, fuel solenoid, igniter, and flame sensor. The wiring to the motor, fuel solenoid, and flame sensor is ridiculously undersized. It was also extremely brittle after twenty years of use. I used 14g for the motor and 16g for all the others. I sourced high temp silicone jacketed wire from Amazon. It’s a pain to take the blower case apart, but after what I saw I am glad I did.

After a week of testing, the intermittent behavior of the AH is no longer. I am happy with the outcome. Thanks to the pioneers for providing an alternative.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad
Old 06-13-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bikeboy57 View Post
Thanks Andy and Dick for being the pioneers, and taking the time to post the schematic. I made this mod on our coach to replace a finicky Webasto controller.

I want to add to this thread a couple of things for others making the mod to think about. used the existing ignition coil only because it was still working.

One, looking at Andy’s schematic, you will need to tap into the temp control thermostat and the high limit thermostat that are buried in boiler housing. If you just want to splice into those snap action thermostats, then orange and white are the leads for the temp control tstat, and light blue and light purple are the leads for the high limit thermostat.

Second, given that the main power lead for the Beckett goes through the on/off switch and the hi limit thermostat, I decided to use that wiring to activate a relay to minimize the potential of voltage drop to the Beckett.

Three, as Andy did, I rewired the motor, fuel solenoid, igniter, and flame sensor. The wiring to the motor, fuel solenoid, and flame sensor is ridiculously undersized. It was also extremely brittle after twenty years of use. I used 14g for the motor and 16g for all the others. I sourced high temp silicone jacketed wire from Amazon. It’s a pain to take the blower case apart, but after what I saw I am glad I did.

After a week of testing, the intermittent behavior of the AH is no longer. I am happy with the outcome. Thanks to the pioneers for providing an alternative.
Richard, thanks for posting your modification to the AquaHot / Webasto burner on your 99 Newell. Keep in touch and let us know how the Beckett 12VDC controller performs over time. Mine is working as designed so far with no complaints.

We crossed paths last fall when we parked next to you at the Cabellas Corporate CG in Sydney NB, and visited briefly before we headed eastbound on I-80...small world.
SOLD 89 FC in 2012; SOLD 88 WB in 2016
Rolla, MO 65401
Old 06-20-2019

I failed to mention something about this modification. My hat is off to Andy for something very clever that he noodled out about the wiring on this modification. His use of the relay to turn the indicator light out if the unit faults was straightforward, but his jumper on the indicator light in conjunction with the ground interrupt through a NC relay terminal was sheer circuit genius. I just wanted to give him a public kudo for a bit of brilliance that was hidden deep in the details of this modification.
99 Newell with DD Series 60
Subaru Outback toad