Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > General

General Discussion of preventative/corrective maintenance and other technical issues regarding your coach that are not covered in other Mechanic's Corner categories (ex. refrigerators, water heaters, and compressors).

Site Search:

Old 08-31-2019

I don't think they sold out in February; I got mine in June! If you call the "special" 800 # mentioned in the thread, they now do a slightly different plan; a Sparc modem at $80, with $30 per month unlimited data. One of the guys at Hood had just got his, he was really pleased with the performance.
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!
Old 08-31-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikenjackie View Post
I don't think they sold out in February; I got mine in June! If you call the "special" 800 # mentioned in the thread, they now do a slightly different plan; a Sparc modem at $80, with $30 per month unlimited data. One of the guys at Hood had just got his, he was really pleased with the performance.
Here is more info. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/gea...rv-data-plans/
1996 Infiniti i30t
Lancep50@gmail.com
https://www.wanderlodgeownersgroup.c...p?albumid=1010
Old 08-31-2019

Quote:
The Spark is not very suitable for RV use. One problem is that is shuts off the WiFi when it is stationary. Read more at https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/att...y-replacement/
1996 Geo Tracker "Hummingbird" a.k.a. Hummer
Old 09-01-2019

Seems like 5G cellular will be game changing for this.
Any reason to not wait until those devices are common place? Unless one needs a solution urgently (which i don’t)
Thanks for all of the info.
Doug
Ex-PT36
Old 09-01-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

Quote:
I'm fairly happy with the Mobley, not stellar performance but enough to stream the occasional Amazon Prime movie. One thing; where I'm parked as a Camp Host for the rest of the season, it's in a hollow & almost unusable, so I have it in a Ziplock bag on the roof, where it works fine.
I read somewhere in this or another related thread (can't find it now) that there's an antenna connection inside. Has anyone used this feature, & can someone recommend an inexpensive antenna that would work? I'd really prefer to have the Mobley in the bus with me, as it still occasionally "goes to sleep".
Thanks!

Mobley has an internal antenna jack. Small screws hold the case together -- they're right where you'd expect them to be, but they're camouflaged with a little stick-on cover over each screw head. I bought the antenna adapter (recommended in the good info thread somewhere on the web) but it didn't fit as far as I could tell. The Mobley meter did respond very positively when the antenna made contact with the onboard jack, but the adapter wouldn't fit for a solid connection. I decided to use a WeBoost Drive 4G X signal booster with the antenna next to Mobley and that helped a lot. Pricey, but effective. And I can't say enough good about Wilson/WeBoost tech support, they're really on top of their game--respond to email, return phone calls, and will send out a replacement for any problem with their equipment.

If you have a Radio Shack nearby (not likey!) take Mobley in and see if they can fit up the correct adapter for your internal anetenna. Then adapt that to the external antenna. Then drill a hole in the case to accomodate the adapter (Don Bradner described this in an earlier post to this thread). Worst case, try taping the adapter in place. Baggies, tape, whatever works!

I searched Amazon and bought a small adjustable-output power supply a la Revision's suggestion in this thread, powered it with 12V from an unused fuse socket in the overhead, and dialed its output in at 15V--Mobley seemed to like it, no excessive heat or anymore need to jiggle it. The power supply has small adjuster screws--one for voltage, one for amperage. Just put your multimeter on the output terminals and adjust the voltage screw until it reads 15v. I forget how many amps the Mobley draws, I'd think 2A is plenty. I didn't adjust amp output at all.

Have fun!
Full-time in 2019

Last edited by nbedinger; 09-01-2019 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-01-2019
Goat rails in the sunset

deleted
Full-time in 2019
Old 09-01-2019

Quote:
Originally Posted by DW SD View Post
Seems like 5G cellular will be game changing for this.
Any reason to not wait until those devices are common place? Unless one needs a solution urgently (which i don’t)
Thanks for all of the info.
Doug
I think 5g is still probably a year out to get decent coverage maybe longer for rural areas, and a year is pretty long in tech terms.

I have been looking a bit and recent saw the Xfinity mobile play, you can get unlimited data for $45 but need to also have a home Xfinity hook up to be eligible.

Anyone have any experience with it ?
Old 09-04-2019

After working fairly well once I got the 14v power supply, the Mobley has suddenly reverted to the 2-hour timeout again. Does anyone know if they updated the software, and if so, is it possible to revert to the previous level?
"Retirement Bird" 1997 43WB
"Silver Shadow"1988 PT-40 Concept Coach - Sold!