Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > Mechanic's Corner > M380 (Unique Issues)

M380 (Unique Issues) If you have a unique issue with your M380 model coach and it can't be answered in one of the other forums here, then this is where you can list it.....list your M380 Parts here too.

Site Search:

Old 05-25-2010

On our 96, what made me suspicious was using the auxiliary air compressor to air the suspension and power the dump valves. basically, it did not work. Then, buying fuel one afternoon, I had turned the engine off and was standing, waiting patiently. I heard a faint air sound. In the water compartment, on top of the water tank, way back in, was the leak. Could not hear it at all with the coach running and if something else was running nearby, also could not hear it. Reaching way back in I could faintly feel the air. Did not affect the brake side at all.
Yes, the brake and suspension systems are seperate. When you dump the suspension, you should still have brake air, for a number of days.
Old 05-25-2010

Thanks again.

Where are the suspension dump valves? Is there one on each suspension bag?

Dennis
Old 05-25-2010

Dennis, there are three height control valves and I believe there are two dump valves, but I’m not sure as there is no air system diagram included in the blue box.

There are two height control valves in the rear of coach above rear axle area. These valves control the rear height as well as the side to side leveling of the coach.

There is a single height control valve for the front and it is located near front axle, left side. This valve is used to set the front ride height.

The M380 should ride at 48” measured at each wheel from ground to skirt hinge.

There is a dump valve above front axle, center of coach. I believe there is another above rear axle, center of coach. WARNING…This is not an area you want to be without proper heavy duty jacks supporting the coach; or the use of a pit.

The air leak you describe sounds like a fairly large leak. I’m surprised you can not hear it when walking around the coach with engine running.
Old 05-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Thank you guys, your help is very much appreciated.

Robert: I actually got the right and left air pressure gauges both up to 100 psi while driving on the highway, but they drop when at idle. The Coach actually did rise up as well, but dropped down rapidly at engine idle. It does hold some air pressure just at or below/above where the warning light/buzzer low air pressure comes on/off.

Dennis
Dennis, I was reading your post again…the air gauges you refer to are for the air brakes, front and rear. An air leak in your suspension system should not drain air from the air brake system as safety systems are built in to prevent that from happening. I’m not sure where the leak would be that would allow both tanks (front & rear) to drain down at idle like you describe but that is a major leak and I don’t think I would drive the coach in that condition.
Old 05-26-2010

Thanks Robert all this information and your thoughts; they are very helpful. Since I can not hear the leak, do you think the problem might not be a leak, but a lack of pumping or the regulation of the pumping e.g. the air pressure regulator?

As for the brake air pressure. It stays at 75 psi or just under 80 at idle. When I pump the brakes it drops down, but in a minute it is back up to 75 and will stay there at idle. As I said both sides did get up to 100 after a while when driving on the highway.

The first appointment I can get with my mechanic is Wed. 2 June and I plan on printing all these comments out to help him in his investigation. I will also be looking around myself this weekend.

Of course I will post the results to this thread and I also plan on calling Johnny Anderson tomorrow to get his thoughts. Johnny helped me out this past weekend with my slide problem and I sent him a nice check today which I was very happy to do; I don't mind paying for an education as well as his help.

I have done a few projects on the Coach which I plan to post to my past threads to share with members on this list.

Keep your thoughts coming.

Thanks again.

Dennis
Old 05-26-2010

Dennis does the system hold the 75 lbs after you shut down the engine?

If the air governor is not working properly then yes, it can prevent your system from building proper air pressure. The governor is inexpensive and available at Napa and other parts stores. Easy job to install…see if that takes care of it. If it does not fix the problem then keep the old one as a spare.

The part you need is a Bendix D-2 governor; about $20

http://www.bendixvrc.com/itemDisplay...ocumentID=2382

Last edited by Robert Britton; 05-26-2010 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-26-2010

Robert,

What are you doing staying up on line at this hour!

I will power up the Coach tomorrow and let you know - that is to say I don't remember if the air pressure stayed up or not after I shut down.

We are scheduled to be up in Mammoth for a week starting June 11th and then another week or so somewhere else North of there - that is if I get this problem fixed - so if you are going to be in the area it would be nice to meet.

I will let you know tomorrow about the pressure. I have appointments in the morning at my office.

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-26-2010

Robert,

Is the air govenor part generic or is it specific to the make or model? In other words what part do I tell them I need?

Thanks,

Dennis
Old 05-26-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
Robert,

Is the air govenor part generic or is it specific to the make or model? In other words what part do I tell them I need?

Thanks,

Dennis
I just edited my last post with the part you need and a link to Bendix D-2 governor...it's a Bendix D-2, any shop that sells truck parts will have one or can get one..about $20
Old 05-26-2010

Thanks Robert. I will get one and install it this weekend. For that kind of money I might as well work the process of elimination.

If it governs the proper air pressure for the Coach it might explain why all 3 of the air pressure dependant systems are not performing; the slide system; the suspension system and the brake system.

Dennis