Wanderlodge Owners Group  
BuyByeBlueBird.com
Donate

Go Back   Wanderlodge Owners Group > RV Lifestyle > Travel Tips - Fuel Prices

Travel Tips - Fuel Prices Everyone has travel tips. Share and discuss yours here with the rest of the group.

Site Search:

Old 07-30-2010
cmillsap

Default TA Fuel Prices

Traveling through The Dalles in Oregon, A TA sign advertised diesel @$2.66/gal at an exit about 40 miles further down the road. Although we had a half tank, the price was too good to pass up. So we stopped to buy the cheap fuel. Tela noticed the price displayed on the pump was $2.98 and went in to question the attendant. When she asked "What's going on here", the attendant responded with "We only give that price to drivers who have an "Over The Road Certificate". Further questioning by Tela as to who or what qualifies someone for such a certificate and discount got this response from the attendant "Well, we have decided to give you the $2.66 price anyway". This is the second time this has happened to us at TA, although the first time the difference in the prices per gal was not as great.

So, if you're buying fuel at TA, make sure you're not being overcharged and insist that they give you the cheaper advertised price.
Old 07-30-2010

It's not a TA thing, it is an Oregon thing. If I recall, I think there are 3 states where the truckers don't pay the state road tax at the pumps. However, they have a card and info goes to the state. Either on the quarter, or annual, they settle up with the state.

You end up paying .24 more in state tax than the trucker with the card. (I refueled in Oregon several times in the past several months, and last year as well and looked it up).

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/FTG/cu...ft_rates.shtml
http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/FTG/uft.shtml
http://egov.oregon.gov/ODOT/CS/FTG/d...Fs/SOP4_UU.pdf

Drive or walk around to the auto pumps at every station in Oregon, and the extra .24 is there. If you fuel at the truckers station, they are required by law to add back in the .24 per gallon. The truckers still settle up with the state later. You in a private vehicle do not settle up later as they do.

If they gave you the $2.66 rate without the card, I believe they violated state law and can lose thier license to dispense fuels (does not apply to gasoline). I doubt they took the .24 per gallon hit, they likely ripped off the state for it. A road tax inspector on site would have detained both the clerk and you until the investigation was complete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmillsap View Post
Traveling through The Dalles in Oregon, A TA sign advertised diesel @$2.66/gal at an exit about 40 miles further down the road. Although we had a half tank, the price was too good to pass up. So we stopped to buy the cheap fuel. Tela noticed the price displayed on the pump was $2.98 and went in to question the attendant. When she asked "What's going on here", the attendant responded with "We only give that price to drivers who have an "Over The Road Certificate". Further questioning by Tela as to who or what qualifies someone for such a certificate and discount got this response from the attendant "Well, we have decided to give you the $2.66 price anyway". This is the second time this has happened to us at TA, although the first time the difference in the prices per gal was not as great.

So, if you're buying fuel at TA, make sure you're not being overcharged and insist that they give you the cheaper advertised price.

Last edited by AC7880; 07-30-2010 at 10:12 PM.
Old 07-30-2010

Quote:

The girl at the fuel desk cut you a break. You should have paid the the tax.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656
Old 07-30-2010
cmillsap

I beg to disagree, Ta can not advertise a price without including the qualifications required. In other words, advertising the $2.66 price without including the "Exclusions" should be available to all customers and then the 24 cent discount to certain customers would apply to the advertised price.
Old 07-30-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
The girl at the fuel desk cut you a break. You should have paid the the tax.
Rick,

They know that what they are doing is false advertising to bring in unsuspecting customers who end up paying a higher than advertised price. That's why Tela got no arguement when she questioned the practice. No other company does this, they advertise their true cash discount price. And "NO" we should not have had to pay the higher than advertised price!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chuck
Old 07-30-2010

Feel free to disagree.

It is NOT TA, it is EVERY fuel seller in Oregon. EVERY FUEL SELLER. IT IS STATE LAW.

You and/or TA stole .24 per gallon in taxes from the state (even though unintentional on your part). I am no fan of taxes, but I don't intend to suffer the fines for not paying a legal statewide fuel tax. I don't refuel with red off road desiel, and I don't accept a tax break that is not legally mine at the pump. I was asked 3 times at one major chain in Oregon (Portland) if I was private and I said yes all 3 times - I think they were offering me "the break". Oregon likely has fuel tax inspectors visiting the fuel sellers, and I don't want to become the example in the courts or on the nightly news.

Your best and safest recourse is to never again fuel in Oregon as EVERY fuel station does the exact same thing on the electronic billboards statewide. Every Oregon resident and most visitors know the advertised price is for the truckers, and that a private sale is .24 more per gallon.

A letter writing campaign to Oreogn legislators and EVERY fuel chain in Oregon "might" get you to have things the way you want them to be, versus the reality of life in Oregon.

Taxes do suck in general, and get higher by the year.

Quote:
I beg to disagree, Ta can not advertise a price without including the qualifications required. In other words, advertising the $2.66 price without including the "Exclusions" should be available to all customers and then the 24 cent discount to certain customers would apply to the advertised price.
Old 07-30-2010

Check all the major chains Oregon price advertising here: http://www.dieselboss.com/fuel.htm None include the .24 per gallon

Now if you can find the advertised diesel price at the auto pumps, then you will see the increased price with the required tax.

Truckers pay weight/mile: http://www.leg.state.or.us/comm/commsrvs/wtmile.pdf
Old 07-30-2010
cmillsap

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC7880 View Post
It's not a TA thing, .

If they gave you the $2.66 rate without the card, I believe they violated state law and can lose thier license to dispense fuels (does not apply to gasoline). I doubt they took the .24 per gallon hit, they likely ripped off the state for it. A road tax inspector on site would have detained both the clerk and you until the investigation was complete.
It's only peculiar toTA. It's presumptous of you to presume that they did not include the state tax in the price they charged us.......

Chuck
Old 07-30-2010

I'll end my part of the discussion here. I traveled and fueled in Oregon many times this year, and in past years.

It is not only TA. It's not only peculiar to TA. Be mad at all the chains, not just TA. Hopefully, some Oregon residents will clarify if I am wrong about it.

While the conversation is still civil, this is my last post on this thread.

Let's get to traveling and fixing Birds!

Quote:
It's only peculiar toTA. It's presumptous of you to presume that they did not include the state tax in the price they charged us.......

Chuck
Old 07-30-2010

Chuck, What the Truck Stops in Or do are no different than the Truck Stops in other parts of the US. Sign after sign advertise in hugh letters and numbers their cash price and in perhaps 6 in tall letters how much more the credit card price is. I know the fuel laws in Oregon as I owned class 8 trucks than ran to Portland everyother week for seven years.

This is also my last post on the this topic. You can differ if you wish but the fuel tax law will remain unchanged.
Vise Grips
Bellefonte, AR
F127656